Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

My question was why my AC has stopped working on my 6l VE SS sports Wagon.

Doug Winfield

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 6litre VE Sports Wagon
This is my first time and first thread. I had already checked that the belt was still on and went to my mechanic closed for Christmas. Then i read on this site to disconnect the battery and wait then reconnect. Which worked my AC is now working the See Dealer note is gone and my Temp gauge is working again which dad stopped when the AC stopped. So thanks Guys much appreciated.
Merry Christmas ,, Doug

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
Merry Christmas & Compliments of the Season.

I would get the car scanned when you get a chance,
Because there will be a under lying malfunction that you have reset with a ECU reset, which now will be in the history log.
The fault may of occurred due to refrigerant gas is low, and HVAC was locked out because of the same, due to it had activated the Low Pressure Switch,
I am waiting for mine to do the same.

As I was under my car changing the oil & filter not long ago, and while I had the cover off under the car [as you do to replace the oil filter] and waiting for the oil to drain out, I removed the front plastic shield to check everything at the front end was in tact, and noticed a green florescent oil on the underneath side of low pressure pipe, between the [rubber] hose compression fittings, so this is an indication there is a very slow leak at one of the fittings,
mine is 2012 Series 2,
so yours being a Series 1 and is 3 years older than mine,
I would put my money on you may have the same problem, most likely heat, vibration and pressure the hose has deuterated over the years.
I have looked for a replacement pipes, and they are not cheap, approx. $380 +GST, as they are a dual hose/pipe configuration.
I am going to ring around in the new year and ask the hydraulic hose repairers the cost of re-fitting off both ends,
surely it has to be cheaper than $380.
Taking into account the system has to be vacc'd out anyway to replace/repair the pipes, and re-gassed at approx. $170.

Doug Winfield

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 6litre VE Sports Wagon
Thank you Krusing for that info. I will check for any leaks and get my mechanic to scan the error codes. I have done 160,000 k and up until this year the only thing I have had to replace was a battery. This year new rotors, struts and tail gate actuator. So I guess more things will now require updating

krusing

Reaction score
Members Ride
Thank you Krusing for that info. I will check for any leaks and get my mechanic to scan the error codes. I have done 160,000 k and up until this year the only thing I have had to replace was a battery. This year new rotors, struts and tail gate actuator. So I guess more things will now require updating

FYI: I have just clocked over 168,000 k/m in mine, so its in the same K/M range.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
At this age a leak is quite likely, but why would a leak cause your temp gauge to stop working? That sounds more like a module fault I'd guess.

krusing

Reaction score
Members Ride
At this age a leak is quite likely, but why would a leak cause your temp gauge to stop working? That sounds more like a module fault I'd guess.

Coincidental, or maybe linked for the owner to investigate the cause of the MIL.