Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

My Roof Re-Lining Experience

symean

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6
Just wanted to share my experience getting my roof re-lined, in case it helps anyone else in the same situation.

The liner on my 2010 VE II SV6 was starting to sag at the very front, underneath each sun shade. I noticed it first when less than 1cm was loose, then over a few months it became 10cm. I looked over the rest of the roof an it all seemed perfect, it was just the front. I suspect the combination of the edge of the foam layer exposed to UV plus gentle knocks from a windscreen sun shade being up when parked in the sun caused it to fail first.

Debated doing a fix myself or even a DIY complete re-lining, then got a quote from Repair Bull who came back at $300. They seemed to have plenty of good reviews so booked it in.

James from Ryde (I'm in Frenchs Forest) turned up at the early end of the time range he provided (the day before) in a little hatchback, with all the materials and tools crammed in the back. Honestly did not look professional, but you know...book, cover. He got to work and was very accommodating when I went out several times to see how it was going and talking about the process.

90 minutes later it's done, and I go out to have a look. I hold my breath as I get in and look up. Not a single scuff, thread or speck of glue anywhere. Contoured around all the concave and convex spots nicely. All edges neatly tucked under the pillars, accessories (visors, lights, etc) and seals. Wrapped up and over the lip of the sunroof perfectly. As a bonus, instead of cutting the front and rear edges to sit flush with the glass he has wrapped those as well, so my worries about a sun shade damaging it are gone.

I close the sunroof shade and honestly I can't tell the difference betweent the old and new fabrics. The sunroof is fine so I didn't get that done, that would have increased the price quite a bit I think due to having to take part of the sunroof assembly apart to get the shade bit out. Out of the car, putting the old and new fabrics together I can see the difference, but that's in good light - in the car where it's never got light directly on it you can't tell. Pic attached of the factory and new fabrics, the one he used has a slightly tighter weave and is a shade darker (I'd call the factory shade 'charcoal' and the new shade 'black'.

One last thing - even though most of the roof liner seemed fine, after it was taken out it peeled off very easily. If i lightly ran a finger over the foam that was left behind it crumbled and fell away like dust. So my lesson here is that once one part of the lining falls away, it's likely that you have lining cancer everywhere, you just aren't seeing it yet.

In the end I'm happy to recommend James from Repair Bull if you're in Sydney. No-brainer for the price, unless you really have the spare time and patience to do it yourself to save a couple hundo. No pics of the finished job sorry, just picture what it would have looked like new on the dealer lot...it's that good.

Cheers :)

Attachments

• IMG_0854.JPG
    IMG_0854.JPG
    859.5 KB · Views: 51

HarryHoudini

Reaction score
Members Ride
1991 VN Wagon..2012 VE Sportwagon.
Good result and price,best to get done by a pro.,motor trimmers are sneaking up around the $500 mark when i rang around to get my 2012 wagon done,started around the visors,which i reglued, but shortly after the whole front section above the seats dropped.
I went with a local bloke for $300,he did a good job.

Reactions: Lex

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
I think a few members here have suggested Repair Bull before over the years.

Personally, I’d not bring myself to pay someone because it’s such an easy job for me.

I can see how some would feel overwhelmed by it.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I did it once and got a wrinkle. Pulled it a few months later and paid to have it done. I never looked back. I will not attempt another again. I pulled the board and fitted myself which saved some coin.

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
As a bonus, instead of cutting the front and rear edges to sit flush with the glass he has wrapped those as well, so my worries about a sun shade damaging it are gone.
That is not a bonus.
That is how it should have been done ex-factory, and if a professional motor trimmer does not do it, he is not very professional.

Takes 10 seconds to cut it off flush with the board, and an extra 3 > 5 minutes to do it properly by wrapping it.

symean

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6
That is not a bonus.
That is how it should have been done ex-factory, and if a professional motor trimmer does not do it, he is not very professional.

Takes 10 seconds to cut it off flush with the board, and an extra 3 > 5 minutes to do it properly by wrapping it.
If by ex-factory you mean as new from the factory, then that wasn't the case with mine, it came cut on the front and rear edges

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
One of my old bosses used to get me to pull out the ceiling cards and we would take them to the interior shop.
Putting them back in is the hard part lol.
You need gloves and patience to get it in, once in it's easy.

kleanphil

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V SII Sportwagon
Hi Thanx for the info , i phoned Bull in QLD and got a quote for $350 for my wagon but got a call 5 min later saying they have a special for $300 , i couldn't get it done then because i have a leak in the rubber conduits between the body and the tailgate but when i got that sorted i will use them.
Obviously it is a franchise and quality between operators is going to vary and unfortunately when you hear an asian voice on the other end of the phone does show some red flags, i will still give them a go

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
If by ex-factory you mean as new from the factory, then that wasn't the case with mine, it came cut on the front and rear edges
Yes, I meant as out the factory door by Holden and Ford. They are both the same, cut off, not folded ............ saves time and a couple of $$ per car..
That is why the first place to fall down is above the visors, foam deteriorates from the sun / heat and the fabric falls off.
But, as you wrote, once some area goes the rest will follow.
Seeing it every time you drive doesn't help. whereas what you can't see behind your head doesn't matter (much).