Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

My Set Up - Is it Alright

C

clinker1212

Capacitors

Car Audio is a bit of a science.

Basically, capacitors are used to filter the signal sent from your head unit to the speakers. There are three types that I know of: High pass, Low Pass and Band Pass.

The high pass capacitor only allows the high part of the signal to pass through to a speaker. These are designed for tweaters or high range speakers. Its a fact that it is not likely for a tweater to blow from an increase in power. In fact the more power the better the sound and the less chance of distortion. Rather a tweater blows from receiving a part of the signal its not designed to handle. You will notice a lot of componant speakers come with the approriate capacitors. Even if you run the splits off of your head unit- I would strongly advise connecting high pass capacitors between the source and your tweaters. The alternative is to buy a 2 or 4 channel amp with band and high pass capacitors installed. that way you can run the 6.5s off of the band and tweaters off of your high pass (much better setup- you will love it). As for your two way speakers, I would run them straight off of the head unit.

I would also check to see whether your sub amp is running a low pass capacitor. check the specs on it. If not I would advise you to get one as they allow for better sound and efficiency. If you do, make sure you install it before the amp. That way it doesnt have to cope with a larger signal and your amp is running more efficiently by only dealing with a part of the signal.

Oh- and I do envy you cause I am still saving for all my stuff. It will end up costing me a little over 2000 for what I want. I already have a poineer mp3 unit with 6x9 4 ways in the section behind the back seat. It puts out a great sound all by itself.

Will be adding the following:

2x10" subs enclosed and ported.
2 Channel Amp capable of 2x 200w RMS to power subs with low pass filter
Splits with seperate passive crossover -50w RMS speakers
4 Channel Amp capable of 4x 50w RMS to power splits (With Band and High pass filters)
Larger alternator to supply the needed power (Have you done this???). Otherwise bye bye battery and alternator.

If you have any other questions feel free to ask. You can get all this info from the web too.

S

Slip

Thanks mate that was really helpfull although i am still confused about the capacitor business because i thought that a capacitor was what goes on the power line just before the amp to give it the power when it needs it.
Im not sure but anyway.
LoL thanks for the envy but im not trying to get any i just want to know what people think of my setup and what kind of setup they have or are planing to get. You see i am a first year computer technician apprentice and my weekly wage isnt the best when you have car insurence and board to pay so i knew there was no way that i was gonna be able to get a few thing that i wanted for my car by saving or getting it all gradually so i went to the bank and got a $3000 loan over 2 years which i plan on paying off before than and it only costs me $35 a week which i can afford. And with that i got all my audio setup and all the leads and bits you need, my car lowered and a cold air intake with a lil left over. So i have found that very handy. My parents dont agree wit it but i just told them that its wat i want and that $35 a week isnt much at all( the $35 a week includes insurance on the loan)
Good luck with your system mate and may it bring peace and harmony to your ears.
Late
Slip

PS anyone who reads this plz tell me what you have in your car, i love reading it and talkin anout it.

Bec

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6L Wagon
My car has not much as yet...too busy repairing mechanics of it so far, but hopefully that part is over.

Currently it has
-50wx4 Xplod headunit
-6" 3-way Kenwood in front doors
-6x9" 4-way Xplod in parcel shelf (I know they are sony, but they sounded soooo much sweeter than the 'better' branded 3-ways.)
-4 channel Kenwood amp yet to be installed. Bought it as a bargain
-Not planning on getting a sub

That's all for this car....will go for much better sound on my next car.

Bec :wave:

S

Slip

Nice Bec

Hey
Thanks for posting what you have in your car. Sounds like you have done what alot of people should have done. I think its mad that you have not cared about the brand and have let you ears choose the audio products that you have choosen. Unlike me i just went for Brand and did not listen thought i must say that i am very lucky because i just finished installing all my stuff on the weekend and i have to say that i love it.
If you like the sound now wait till you get the amp installed, your sound should pump way harder and clearer.
Let me know what it sounds like when you get it in, and tell me if you think it goes heaps better.
Thanks again for tellin me what you have got. Oh by the way do you plan on getting a sub/s in you r next car.
Cyas

C

clinker1212

BekVP said:
-6x9" 4-way Xplod in parcel shelf (I know they are sony, but they sounded soooo much sweeter than the 'better' branded 3-ways.)

I too have 4 way xplodes and I think they are great for an initial setup.

Bec

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6L Wagon
Slip said:
Oh by the way do you plan on getting a sub/s in you r next car.
Cyas
I will aim for one, but might go two. Will be looking at a fairly decent set up (quality) so one might be enough. Just have to wait and see (or hear) :)

S

Slip

Prob one would do for sound quality. Are you keeping any of ure old sound stuff in ure new car or are you going to be selling ure old car with whats already in and start fresh with the new car u r going to get.
Could you post some photos of your car so i can see it, id really like to see it, i will be posting some ofmine soon, ijust have to wash it, ive been pretty busy finishing of my audio set up and have forgotton about washing the car.(the dogs havnt forgot about washing the rims their way)
Thanks Bec
Lateskies people

Bec

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6L Wagon
I'm not keeping anything from VP, theres only a few speakers and a H/U. It's a small, boring setup but I can take pics if you want.