Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

My Sludge Adventure

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
With the pickup that blocked and noises from cold i'd be looking at the bearings before i went any further down the path of cleaning it up.

HarryHoudini

Reaction score
Members Ride
1991 VN Wagon..2012 VE Sportwagon.
Good luck with it. I hone mine doesn't look like this inside but I'm not brave to look.
Have you checked the opening on the pcv Valve ? Was it blocked? There's a utube clip on here somewhere of a guy blaming all these sludge issues on the tiny hole in the pcv getting blocked and not letting the crank case breathe.

There would be a reason for it,oil doesn't just sludge up like that without help on a car that is regularly driven.
The only Engines i've seen like that were 1990 era Falcon Gas Taxi sixes,a guy had a workshop near my Brothers Engineering Business and he blamed Gas for the problems,obviously not the cause here.

Last edited:

whats up

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Calais
There would be a reason for it,oil doesn't just sludge up like that without help on a car that is regularly driven.
The only Engines i've seen like that were 1990 era Falcon Gas Taxi sixes,a guy had a workshop near my Brothers Engineering Business and he blamed Gas for the problems,obviously not the cause here.

:)

Last edited:

blackve76

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS ute 360rwkw N/A, 2016 VF2 SS M6

Some oils lack detergents now days, always worried when people boast about changing oil and it's still gold in colour = **** oil no cleaning your engine.

To op you've opened a can of worms keep going now fingers crossed you have a win. Few 1000kms down the track will tell that

HarryHoudini

Reaction score
Members Ride
1991 VN Wagon..2012 VE Sportwagon.
I have driven a vk on gas for many years and have never had the oil between changes look other than normal.
I was told that LPG is like almost 100 percent burn so no blow back gasses where as petrol is less and does have blow back.
When I removed the head for stem seals I could not see one bit of sludge/oil build up.
The old girl has been handed down to the next generation and still going strong.

No argument,i've heard the same,only difference is i've seen 253/308 engines running on gas with stuffed heads,the aftermarket Heads with hardened valves were not up to the job.
The Falcon Taxis motors i saw had sludge everywhere,rocker cover,sump etc.,similar to the OP,.
I don't know if its the difference in burning temp of gas or the fact they can run 24/7 but the motors were a mess,cleaning the oil galleries would be the big problem with Re-Co'ing.

Last edited:

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I have driven a vk on gas for many years and have never had the oil between changes look other than normal.

X2, I had gas on the Jeep for 8 years. I tore that motor down as it ran out of water and the insides were clean as.