Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

My Sludge Adventure

Brettly-2008

Reaction score
Members Ride
SS Commodore - Ford Territory ... both camps
I have a Nov 2006 WM with the 195kW Alloytec. No chain issues/replacement evident in its history. When I brought it in 2013 it had an OK service history -not perfect. I've been running 5/w30 10/w30 every 8-10k kms since and it's still perfect mechanically. It's now at 258k kms. Not sure I want to open it up and have a look! There was a fortnight a couple of years back where it ran hot (2/3, 3/4 up the temp gauge) until I worked out it was slightly low on coolant. I wonder whether getting these engines hot (not over heating) helps release a bit of this sludge back into a liquid state and actually does them some good?

Good luck with the rebuild mate, keep us posted.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
You never want to get one much hotter than normal operating temp. Once the oil's been burned and the remains has turned to carbon there's not much you can do, short of pulling the whole engine apart and physically or chemically cleaning the parts. Anything above 120-130C and you'll start to do damage, especially on a cast alloy engine.

Should always operate at around the same temp range - coolant temps are usually from 95-110 for the v6's from memory which is high as it is. I actually think the high operating temperature is the major cause of the oil degrading too quickly and causing issues like this.

Brettly-2008

Reaction score
Members Ride
Should always operate at around the same temp range - coolant temps are usually from 95-110 for the v6's from memory which is high as it is. I actually think the high operating temperature is the major cause of the oil degrading too quickly and causing issues like this.

Not a fan of the ol' alloytec are ya EYY?

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
is anyone a fan of alloytech engines?

Brettly-2008

Reaction score
Members Ride
Maybe it's misunderstood :p

gossie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International 3.6L

Mine's A OK thanks.
Just back from a trip yesterday, and it ran very sweetly.
Gave it a full tank of 98 before the journey to help keep it clean inside, checked all fluids before and after.....Looking good.

1985VK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL
How is the clean up going on that motor?

LittleRed

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Commodore Omega
How is the clean up going on that motor?

Slowly I'm afraid. Too many other commitments at the moment. Will be spending some time on it tomorrow.
Will hopefully get it finished this coming week.