Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

My Sludge Adventure

DAJOKER

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 II Wagon
Pics of engine bay with catch cans please

IMG_2119.jpg IMG_2120.jpg IMG_2123.jpg IMG_2124.jpg IMG_2125.jpg IMG_2126.jpg

Pete, I have just finished this today. I did have 2 catch cans under the throttle body, but I'd always wanted to get rid of the massive baffling from the air intake at the TB. So a bit of 3inch flexi hose, a few hose clamps and an adapter (3" - 3.75") and its done. Ok its not the prettiest, but half the stock one is flexi hose anyway. Just have to borrow a mates tin snips to cut off the extra hose clamp length.
Anyway - great throttle response, has actually quietened the note of the car down quite a bit. Being a V6 with SS cat back system on it, it did have a slight drone in 5th gear pushing up the freeway hills. But now - its really quiet.

I got rid of my old catch can setup today as well. Opting for an open CCV side with a K&N filter, and a baffled PCV catch can. I used to have steel wool stuffed in both my old catch cans. Both old catch cans where mounted in the same place as my new one - bolted to the vacuum pump, but I made up a new bracket for the catch can so that its easily accessible from either top or bottom of engine bay for when oil changes are done.

ignore the filthy engine bay....I haven't detailed it in about 6 months :(

1985VK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL
I used to have steel wool stuffed in both my old catch cans.

Do not use steel wool. Use tough stainless steel scourers that do not break down.

DAJOKER

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 II Wagon
Do not use steel wool. Use tough stainless steel scourers that do not break down.

Oh well.....they gone now. Proper baffled catch can now.

Blackdavo83

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ WAGON
Hay guys
Been busy with work so not much progress on the wagon.....
Today i had a few spare hours so have finished cleaning and putting left hand rocker bank back together....put it back together with some engine assembly lube......

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
View attachment 203821 View attachment 203822 View attachment 203823 View attachment 203824 View attachment 203825 View attachment 203826

Pete, I have just finished this today. I did have 2 catch cans under the throttle body, but I'd always wanted to get rid of the massive baffling from the air intake at the TB. So a bit of 3inch flexi hose, a few hose clamps and an adapter (3" - 3.75") and its done. Ok its not the prettiest, but half the stock one is flexi hose anyway. Just have to borrow a mates tin snips to cut off the extra hose clamp length.
Anyway - great throttle response, has actually quietened the note of the car down quite a bit. Being a V6 with SS cat back system on it, it did have a slight drone in 5th gear pushing up the freeway hills. But now - its really quiet.

I got rid of my old catch can setup today as well. Opting for an open CCV side with a K&N filter, and a baffled PCV catch can. I used to have steel wool stuffed in both my old catch cans. Both old catch cans where mounted in the same place as my new one - bolted to the vacuum pump, but I made up a new bracket for the catch can so that its easily accessible from either top or bottom of engine bay for when oil changes are done.

ignore the filthy engine bay....I haven't detailed it in about 6 months :(
Thanks for the pics. Hope everything goes well mate.
Post 87
https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/threads/vs_pete_1-s-my12-sv6-sportwagon.190351/page-5

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
The clean side outlet pcv is blocked. On the dirty side has a catch can.
When motor goes up to WOT the dirty side can`t take anymore pressure so oil will go into the separator and after you slow down the oil will drop back into motor.
Before the separator I day I took the intake off (TB) and it had oil in it.
The new air intake only had a very small vapor stain.

1J9U6b3.jpg
Lyos3cK.jpg

Last edited: