Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

My Sludge Adventure

LittleRed

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Commodore Omega
I have 2008 Omega which has been making all sorts of awful noises when starting from cold. I have done quite a lot of reading in here and decided that there was a good chance that there was sludge in the engine. I decided to pop the rocker covers off and have a look, and also drop the sump and give it a clean out. What I found was pretty scary. I have never seen anything like this. I cleaned the sump, which wasn't too bad. The pickup was all but blocked though, so that got extra attention. The rockers were a bit more of a challenge. I literally scraped most of it off with a plastic trim tool. Very time consuming and frustrating. I managed to get most of it off, but it still looks pretty bad. I will have to let an engine flush finish it off.

Anyway, I thought that I would be able to avoid taking the timing chain cover off if I could just flush the sludge down through the opening and out the bottom, since the sump was already removed. I was wrong.

It seems that there was no tension on the left timing chain, as if the tensioner was stuck. So off came the cover.

Holy cow, what a mess.

As suspected, the tensioner was completely stuck. It would only move after urging it with a screw driver. So, looks like I am going to have to clean and disassemble if it's ever going to be right. What a pain.

Couple of questions though:
1. if I decide to replace the timing chains, should I bother with Holden or should I just go after-market or eBay?
2. Will I have any issues with disassembling the timing chain mechanisms for cleaning and re-assembling them?
3. What sealant is best for reassembly of the cover and sump? I heard Permatex grey, but I'm not sure.

IMG_3600.JPG

IMG_3601.JPG

IMG_3602.JPG

IMG_3603.JPG

IMG_3610.JPG

IMG_3612.JPG
IMG_3624.JPG

IMG_3625.JPG

Last edited:

vr304

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 ssv manual
Far out mate that is shocking!! I’d be inclined to pull the engine out and strip it completely and freshen up with new rings,bearings etc if it were me as for the chains etc could’nt tell ya hopefully someone else will chime in

scaredyet

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VZ Lumina Wagon
Always go oem for those important parts. Looks pretty bad

gossie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International 3.6L
You mention the year (2008) of that VE, but not the kilometers traveled or if you are the original owner.
Oil used at changes would also be good to know.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Mate that is beyond ridiculous. Beats me why people don't just spend a few bucks and get their cars serviced regularly?? Surely that is not normal even for a VE??

LittleRed

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Commodore Omega
It's done 223000. I bought it 20k ago and have given it two oil changes with Castrol Edge 5W30. The original owner was a care provider, probably a fleet car as it's got the T92 (I think) option for the lights to be always on.

The log book shows a reasonable service history up to 106000, although there were two times that were 20000 between services. There is only one other entry at 176000.

Banjo79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS Sportwagon
So from 176000 to 203000 when you bought it makes it at least 3 periods of 20-27000km on the same oil. I suppose you can't expect much better looking internals with those service intervals on a LFX. Im sorry for your loss....

LittleRed

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Commodore Omega
So from 176000 to 203000 when you bought it makes it at least 3 periods of 20-27000km on the same oil. I suppose you can't expect much better looking internals with those service intervals on a LFX. Im sorry for your loss....

Yeah, thanks.

Unfortunately, I have no choice but to attempt a revival. A few hours of my time and effort might be worthwhile in the end.

It has actually been my first Commodore. I did not know about this problem when I bought it, if I had, I would have been more cautious. While I've been driving it, it's gone pretty well, although I don't have anything to compare it to. I've been pretty happy with it to be honest. If I can get another year or two out of it I will be happy. I did get it for a pretty good price, so can't cry too much.

Either way, it's a valuable lesson.

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
I'd go genuine chains, not worth risking cheaper options and the new chains don't stretch.

Personally I'd pull the heads off and get them serviced/cleaned. You'll find the intake manifold is probably full of crap as well.