Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

My squishy brakes

heyitsEnricoPallazzo

Big block Alloytec
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ A4 Saloon
Not happy with the braking on the commode. Too squishy and not enough retardation IMO.

So, I have been trauling the net to find a solution of sorts. Read cheap!

Came across a mod for the US GTO that replaces the stock pads with pads that have more friction material. '05 and up GTO with PBR C5 calipers and 320mm rotors.

Some questions for the knowledgeable,

• Will the pads in the links below fit?
    Has anybody done this mod?
    Is there any increase in braking reformance?
    Are the larger pads the 'police spec' ones?

Bigger pads
Standard pads

Also looking at front calipers. The C5 calipers mentioned above I believe are the same as PBR PK1 performance upgrades. There are claims these calipers are a massive improvement over stock. Correct me if I'm wrong why don't ya'.

Throw your 2 cents into the equation guys to help me decide.

Attachments

• untitled.jpg
    untitled.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 395
  • untitled.png
    untitled.png
    234.7 KB · Views: 423
Last edited:

richardpalinkas

Blown Alloytec
Reaction score
Members Ride
Raptor Impulse VZ SV6
i think in the gsr rally section (i think its called that), they sell the police spec pads, my mate has them and yes they do make a difference. i myself have slotted rda rotors, and rda pads, and they definately pull up pretty good. i have never slamed on the brakes, they feel too good, and makes me think they will throw me out of the window if i did haha. but seriously, the slotted rotors, and police spec pads are worth getting

heyitsEnricoPallazzo

Big block Alloytec
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ A4 Saloon
Yep. I have DBA rotors and Ultimates. Still crap. They stop, but still spongy.

At least I don't have the problem of warped discs anymore with the DBA's.

richardpalinkas

Blown Alloytec
Reaction score
Members Ride
Raptor Impulse VZ SV6
yea, i think you will find that all commodores are spongy. only thing i can think of is replace your brake fluid, it may be old.

Big Red VF-SII Go-kart

I love puddles.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII MY17 SV6 (LFX) Sportwagon (SOLD)
That's news to me. My old VP Commodore did have squishy, spongy, generally lacklustre brakes. Ah so, explained the brake doctor, "it's the master cylinder dudded!". Rotors, shoes, master cylinder was a $880 repair job. Fast forward to a VZ ex-Services and I would not dare apply the brakes heavily: they are extremely touchy — almost a science to apply them to a careful, metered stop from speed. I do not know what sort of brake pads I have but they did say they are "very long life". I've driven my friend's VE Omega sedan and he has an almost identical brake feel, even for that car which is heavier.

The brake master cylinder is an expendable item and any gross sponginess may indicate a need to replace that (as found in my previously-mentioned VP Commodore wagon).
Also, the condition of rotors, the presence of a lot of built-up road grime and brake dust, wax run off from car wash etc. can all affect braking performance.

Jesterarts

Your freedom ends where mine begins
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Nissan X-Trail ST-L
There are a few things you could look at to try and de-spongy them.

1. Check master cylinder. If the fluid is low or leaking, this could be causing your issue
2. Air bubble in the line. Not sure on how to specifically diagnose this but the solution is bleeding the system.
3. Hoses are getting on abit and have more give in them then they should.
4. If the whole system is fine and you still are finding it spongey, braided hoses with firm the peddle up.

I know commodore brakes are not great, but when I had my VX I know that I didn't have any issues with the pedal feeling spongy.

Good luck.

ashbox

back in black
Reaction score
Members Ride
something black
agreed, my vz and now my vx have both had reasonably firm brakes...
the vx had slightly spongy brakes, but now i'm running new rotors, pads and fluid all through....nice and firm now

heyitsEnricoPallazzo

Big block Alloytec
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ A4 Saloon
I was looking at some braided lines. Might still go that route.

I have read in other forums the brakes lines can sometimes need to be bled several times to remove any trapped air. Strange thing is after a very heavy stop, the pedal becomes firm. Only lasts a short period though. Is this idicative of air in the system?

Is it possible for air to be trapped in the ABS system?