Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

My Starter Motor Is out of Auto but Looks Same As Manual, Please Help. i have pics.

xtreme_sony

MY VP IS NOW A MANUAL
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vp Series 2, 3.8L Executive
Yer in process of converting my VP v6 to a manual, i just took out the starter motor and found it to look the same, i have attached some pictures. I know manual starters work on Auto but not the other way, so maybe mine is a manual one. Please tell me. Thanks. ;)

Attachments

• 100_1078.jpg
    100_1078.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 2,498
  • 100_1079.jpg
    100_1079.jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 970
  • 100_1080.jpg
    100_1080.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 4,629

Redline16

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY16 VFII SSV Redline Manual
Yer in process of converting my VP v6 to a manual, i just took out the starter motor and found it to look the same, i have attached some pictures. I know manual starters work on Auto but not the other way, so maybe mine is a manual one. Please tell me. Thanks. ;)

I noticed this on the VP I converted ages ago and the one i'm doing currently. I think they changed starter motors at some point along the production of VN/VPs and they all became the same as the manual ones. My guess anyway.

xtreme_sony

MY VP IS NOW A MANUAL
Reaction score
Members Ride
So do you think that it will work on the manual

I noticed this on the VP I converted ages ago and the one i'm doing currently. I think they changed starter motors at some point along the production of VN/VPs and they all became the same as the manual ones. My guess anyway.

Do you think that it would work on the manual ?. i spose once i put the gear box in i might just put my original starter back in and connect it and try it. If it wont work will it not fit in the first place or how do you know it is strictly an auto one when trying to put it back in ?. :w00t:

Redline16

Reaction score
Members Ride
Do you think that it would work on the manual ?. i spose once i put the gear box in i might just put my original starter back in and connect it and try it. If it wont work will it not fit in the first place or how do you know it is strictly an auto one when trying to put it back in ?. :w00t:

Yeah it will work no worries, it did for me, as you can see there exact same in the pics. And if you do have any problems just swap 'em over :thumbsup:

Redline16

Reaction score
Members Ride

Also if it wouldnt work it would either A. not have enough power to crank the car over or
B. wouldnt fit, but as I said you shouldnt have a problem ;)

xtreme_sony

MY VP IS NOW A MANUAL
Reaction score
Members Ride
Cheers Mate, I'll Just Have To Return That To The Wreckers

Yeah it will work no worries, it did for me, as you can see there exact same in the pics. And if you do have any problems just swap 'em over :thumbsup:

Cheers mate, i'll return it after i make sure mine works with the manual. Thanks Dans_vz. Champion :yeah:

maldotcom2

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cammed mafless VS Calais 5-speed.
If it clears the bell housing it'll be fine. The reason you need a manual one is on later models than the vn, the auto starter motor has a snout which holds the end of the cog spindle. This snout does not clear the bell housing.

georgeonboost

clutch it!
Reaction score
Members Ride
slammed VP EXEC
it will work 100% as i used my auto one and it looks exactly like the both that you have posted pics of.

George