Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

My Study: Simple Tips & Tricks to improve fuel economy on VS

PlenumBiscuit

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Commodore
Soooo

The unleaded 91 is $1.43

The premium 95 is $1.53

The premium 98 is $1.58

If I chuck $40 in, which petrol will get me further :)

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Soooo

The unleaded 91 is $1.43

The premium 95 is $1.53

The premium 98 is $1.58

If I chuck $40 in, which petrol will get me further :)

If the car is running absolutely spot on, with everything serviced etc, then the 98 octane fuels should give the longest range, even though you get the least amount of fuel for your cash with 98. And this is just with a standard factory memcal tune. You can modify the memcal tune to get even better economy (and better throttle responsiveness) from these engines.
Ive done a lot of experimenting over the last couple of years with the tune on my VSV6, and I now get excellent fuel economy, when Im not holding it flat I can get it down to around 9-11 l/100km around town, and down to around 6-7 L/100 km on the highway at 90-100 km/h.. I only use 98 fuels.
Some people say they cant notice any difference, If you cant notice any difference running 98 octane fuels over 91 fuels, then the vehicle is probably not running 100% right to begin with.

Last edited:

PlenumBiscuit

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Commodore
If the car is running absolutely spot on, with everything serviced etc, then the 98 octane fuels should give the longest range, even though you get the least amount of fuel for your cash with 98. And this is just with a standard factory memcal tune. You can modify the memcal tune to get even better economy (and better throttle responsiveness) from these engines.
Ive done a lot of experimenting over the last couple of years with the tune on my VSV6, and I now get excellent fuel economy, when Im not holding it flat I can get it down to around 9-11 l/100km around town, and down to around 6-7 L/100 km on the highway at 90-100 km/h.. I only use 98 fuels.
Some people say they cant notice any difference, If you cant notice any difference running 98 octane fuels over 91 fuels, then the vehicle is probably not running 100% right to begin with.

the 91 unleaded will give ( $40 / 1.43) = 27.97 litres

the 98 premium will give ( $40 / 1.58) = 25.32 litres

i reckon a loss of 2.6 litres is worth the risk

Unfortunately my vs executive doesnt have the digital dashboard readings

just looked up what memcal means too & wow you can tune it with a computer?

bit lost as well with connecting a computer to the car, whats needed, what gadgets & cords & software etc - only new to VS model, but lots to learn it seems