Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

My Supercharged VY S

SAV_117

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE V8 Calais
bahaha lol good mate than :)

alien

Reaction score
Members Ride
03 VY Supercharged 3.8L
looks good man, great to see another l67 on the site. what do you have planned for it engine wise??

Well, after spending clost to a grand and a half on the engine nothing just yet. I'll wait until the major's done and then the next minor service is needed before i consider the engine again! But i want to first get all quality components in the engine, hence the new felpro gaskets. However i'm gonna run over the vehicle's electrical system to see if i could get an inprovement out of it with some simple modifications.

However i would like to convert it to manual first. But that's gonna be a pain!:w00t:

chargedvx6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SII HBD Calais L67
Great looking car, got a mate with one the same and once he put bigger wheels on it was much nicer looking.

What cost $1500 on the engine?

alien

Reaction score
Members Ride
03 VY Supercharged 3.8L
Great looking car, got a mate with one the same and once he put bigger wheels on it was much nicer looking.

What cost $1500 on the engine?

New head and inlet manifold gaskets (these gaskets were like $400), heads were machined, pressure and VAC tested. Thermostat redone, rear water bypass hose redone. New oil and oil filter (even though i did it 200 kms ago). I would've done it myself, but i didn't have time :(

I'll probably end up changing the camshaft actually and using roller rockers. So that's probably the first real engine mod that will happen, but probably not for another year or so. It doesn't really need much atm, i dont know what Holden did to it when they owned it but it beat a VY SS o_O :dance:

Benjamin K

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Calais V6 Supercharged
New head and inlet manifold gaskets (these gaskets were like $400), heads were machined, pressure and VAC tested. Thermostat redone, rear water bypass hose redone. New oil and oil filter (even though i did it 200 kms ago). I would've done it myself, but i didn't have time :(

I'll probably end up changing the camshaft actually and using roller rockers. So that's probably the first real engine mod that will happen, but probably not for another year or so. It doesn't really need much atm, i dont know what Holden did to it when they owned it but it beat a VY SS o_O :dance:

So let me get this straight, your car engine is exactly identical to mine, and it beats a VY SS? :w00t: :dance: :w00t:

Hmm man, maybe it's tuned? If so I wonder what my car would be able to do once I re-work the engine (Another few swings at the mines :cry:) and change the pully plus tune?:bow:

By the way what's the difference between my Calais and the VY S? Other then the obvious different body kits, like mechanical, suspension, brakes, drive line etc, etc?

I reckon the Calais kits on the VY look better then the SS kits, might just be personal taste but anyone agree with me?

PS: Here's my car.

Attachments

• The rig.jpg
    The rig.jpg
    139.4 KB · Views: 565

alien

Reaction score
Members Ride
03 VY Supercharged 3.8L
So let me get this straight, your car engine is exactly identical to mine, and it beats a VY SS? :w00t: :dance: :w00t:

Hmm man, maybe it's tuned? If so I wonder what my car would be able to do once I re-work the engine (Another few swings at the mines :cry:) and change the pully plus tune?:bow:

By the way what's the difference between my Calais and the VY S? Other then the obvious different body kits, like mechanical, suspension, brakes, drive line etc, etc?

I reckon the Calais kits on the VY look better then the SS kits, might just be personal taste but anyone agree with me?

PS: Here's my car.
I dont know internally if it's the same. But yea, it's a L67 or so it looks anyways :p Since my mate's touched it though it's now idling a bit rough, so he's gonna have to vac test it to find out where the problem is. Luckily when i get work through him it comes with a warranty :)

It could be tuned, i should try and find out what Holden did with it LOL, i dont like my chances of finding out though.

Calais has more luxury features over an S. Basically only electronic and internal features as well as body. Nothing different in the driveline, except you might have an LSD that comes standard, but i'm not too sure if the Calais's had the LSD standard.

LOL, i personally like the SS kit, but that may because the calais kit is more chrome everywhere and doesn't really look that great with the black (or so i think anyways). Also hate the wheels on the Calais LOL

Oh, and my car's now tinted. When i get pics i'll post them :p And yes, they're about as black as the car:whistling

DUK13Y

When in doubt, slide it out
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VEII SSV, VYII Berlina, '97 Lancer
I guess it depends on what you like. Luxury or sports. The Calais is a very good mix of both but I probably prefer the SS kit.

Car looks great man. Black cars always look the best:yeah:

Benjamin K

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Calais V6 Supercharged
I dont know internally if it's the same. But yea, it's a L67 or so it looks anyways :p Since my mate's touched it though it's now idling a bit rough, so he's gonna have to vac test it to find out where the problem is. Luckily when i get work through him it comes with a warranty :)

It could be tuned, i should try and find out what Holden did with it LOL, i dont like my chances of finding out though.

Calais has more luxury features over an S. Basically only electronic and internal features as well as body. Nothing different in the driveline, except you might have an LSD that comes standard, but i'm not too sure if the Calais's had the LSD standard.

LOL, i personally like the SS kit, but that may because the calais kit is more chrome everywhere and doesn't really look that great with the black (or so i think anyways). Also hate the wheels on the Calais LOL

Oh, and my car's now tinted. When i get pics i'll post them :p And yes, they're about as black as the car:whistling
Guess it must be just my opinion haha. Just not a big fan of the matt black plastic bit on VY SS kits. However I'm pretty sure most people will agree that the Calais lights are better:p. Yeah I hate the Calais rims :( Plan on getting rid of them but want to keep a sleeper look to it. Big chrome or racing style rims and big old P plates on a car = trouble with cops... :whistling

Yeah from the looks the cars are exactly Identical mechanically. Nice to hear we can keep up with the V8 boys :thumbsup:

alien

Reaction score
Members Ride
03 VY Supercharged 3.8L
I know i can keep up with the V8 boys, maybe not when they throw superchargers on their V8's, but definatly the non-supercharged ones. When you give it a shot lemme know how yours goes?

After getting the tint today i noticed car's running rough when idling and rocking the car. Seems to me like there's a vacuum leak. Bloddy mechanic. If you want a job done right you have to do it yourself! Oh well, it's got a 20,000km warranty now, so he'll have to fix it.

Rims will stay stock for quite a while now. With dark tint and in 2 weeks the P Plates going back up if i change the wheels i'll probably be pulled over for the first time ever.

Tint pictures may take a week or two to come up. It needs a wash despratly now!

chargedvx6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SII HBD Calais L67
What mods are done to the car to beat Gen3s? Stock 5L V8s aren't an issue for an L67 and even some modded ones get done by the L67 but All stock Gen3s?

A pulley and full exhaust with high ratio rockers will get you there I suppose