Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

my system eventually, do you agree?

padrickz88

Rick =]
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VN V6, nothing special
Ok people this is my system that i plan on getting slowly within the next 6 months, its not going to happen tomorrow but it will happen eventually. i got told jaycar are pretty good for there price and that i should get them so most of my system will be jaycar... and as for a sub i dont know what im going to get, should i get a jaycar with the carbon fibe cone or get something else? wat would people recomend? and i dont know 100% how much im going to spend on a sub, all i know is ill be spending the usual average amount(300 roughly, boxed). if people could think of stuff for the same price or cheaper and better then below could u tell me because i want to get the best for my $$$ (like most people) so yeah thanks alot and oppinions welcome :D:D:D

Precision Response Kevlar Coaxials - 6.5" 2 Way
http://www.jaycar.com.au/productVie...&pageNumber=&priceMin=&priceMax=&SUBCATID=609

6.5" PRECISION RESPONSE KEVLAR SPLITS
http://www.jaycar.com.au/productVie...d2=&pageNumber=&priceMin=&priceMax=&SUBCATID=

RESPONSE CAR AMP 4X100WRMS
http://www.jaycar.com.au/productVie...&pageNumber=&priceMin=&priceMax=&SUBCATID=595

RESPONSE CAR AMP CLASS D 800WRMS
http://www.jaycar.com.au/productVie...&pageNumber=&priceMin=&priceMax=&SUBCATID=595

garfa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
that will get you the best bang for buck on a more restricted budget paying RRP prices.
get the jacar carbon fibre sub. it should complement the other jaycar products well.
maybe consider the smaller jaycar 4 channel amp unless you know what distorsion sounds like because you will be able to cause damage more easily with the 4x130Wrms amp.
also consider getting it all from www.newmillenium.net.au, he can supply all electus products (eg: all jaycars stuff) at significantly reduced prices including 2ga and all the amp wiring stuff.

jack.mc

Nothing witty to say :(
Reaction score
Website
www.jacks-lounge.com
Members Ride
VN Vacationer
I got all my gear from newmillenium, great service :D I couldn't be happier with my system -

6*9s
4*50w amp
6.5s in doors

Brycestro

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim S2
yup, for a first system when you're after value for money i think you're wise with your jaycar choices

padrickz88

Rick =]
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VN V6, nothing special
ok so a smaller amp for the sub? but i wanted something that was boxed from the company.... so i know its deseigned like that and if i get bad sound its there stuff up and not mine, if that makes sense =) and that site is down:( thanks :D:D

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
If you can afford it, stick to the bigger amp. Amp distortion (clipping) from the smaller amp is more likely to kill speakers/subs than speaker distortion (reaching mechanical limits) from the larger amp. You're more likely to hear the speaker distorting than the amp, and you'll turn it down.

Sir-Psycho-Sexy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL executive
x2^^^ setting gains correctly with the bigger amp will be better than the smaller amp

for a sub, have a listen to the pioneer 306c (i think the model number is)

padrickz88

Rick =]
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VN V6, nothing special
aiight thanks heaps =) but what i dont get is why a 130rmsx4? the speakers are only around 80 rms? so wouldnt a 100rmsx4 b good enough? i always thought it was best to have a little over but not to much... can some one explain? and for the sub does everybody agree with the jaycar carbon fibre? and just buy a sub box from srathfield or something and put it in? and my mate has a clarion 15" and i seriously like the bass that thing puts out but i want a 12", so would the 12 inch still be as good quality? because im thinking about that if people dont recomend the jaycar... anything else people would recomend?:D:D:D

garfa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
the 4x100Wrms actually is a 4x130Wrms amp. look at the specs on the jaycar site.
ok look its simple as this,
at 14.4 volts one of the jaycar's will output 4x130Wrms or there abouts.
now at 14.4 the other amp will output 4x50Wrms.
now you must decide if you will be able to hear the distorsion from over powerig the speaker or the amp.
if you choose the bigger 4x130Wrms amp you can kill your speakers one of 2 ways, by putting too much power through the voice coils or just plain trying to push the speaker past its excursion.
with the smaller amp you can make the amp clip which will be obvious from the distorted dound (easier to hear than the "too much power through the VCs with the bigger amp way") or also be pushing the speaker past it excursion.
if you feel that you can limit you volume and easily tell what distorsion is then get the bigger amp, but otherwise with the smaller amp you can be assured that you can set the gains and KNOW FOR SURE that you are not causing the speaker any harm.
as for the sub i can say that a kicker solobaric is great but really its out of your price range and will over power the rest of your system.
just go and listen to a few subs, but remember you want something nice sounding, big bass is annoying after a while.