Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

My Torana Rebuild

Hangman

Aspiring Sociopath
Reaction score
Members Ride
WK Land Yacht
Cut out where the tail light sits on an LH/LX, cut out the same piece on the UC and swap. That's a simplified version, but that's basically it.

383 hatch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VG Ute 5.0,Torana hatch 383,WB Ute 5.0,VR stato5.0
is it too difficult to convert uc rear to lh/x lights?

Never compared them so i wouldnt know but i have seen cars with it dont know how they went about it though

Yeh, Hang man pretty much covered it. Without going into heaps of detail, it's just a matter of finding a donor LH/X beaver panel/tail light buckets, cutting the UC lights out and cutting and fitting the LX tail light buckets in. It's a bit of work, but not too complicated.

Anyway, here is this afternoons effort. 1 side of the tailgate repaired.

Rust cut out
IMGP2581600x450.jpg

Section made
IMGP2582600x450.jpg

All welded in and ground down
IMGP2588600x450.jpg

nemesis_adrasteia

better to reign in hell
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR commodore HSV(without all the gay ****)
geez i wish i had some skill at welding.

coming along great, keep up the good work.

walesy

Aint no family cruiser!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Cherry Black WH II Caprice, VS exec wagon
i remember reading the old thread on this a few years ago now, it was always an amazing looking car, now its getting even better! well done

Big_Simmo

Deep Blue Cranberry
Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 Series 2 SSV Redline Ute
I really wish I had some skills for body work, then id hunt down a 76 lx ss and restore that bad boy.

Jesus that thing is coming onlong nicely mate :)

walesy

Aint no family cruiser!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Cherry Black WH II Caprice, VS exec wagon
just wondering why you boxed in the headlights? not saying it doesnt look awesome, just curious.

oh i forgot i was going to ask a question about that... how do you change a globe? pull the whole light out? i thought most headlights bolted in from the rear aswell?

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR

383 hatch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VG Ute 5.0,Torana hatch 383,WB Ute 5.0,VR stato5.0
Cheers for the comments guys.

I boxed in the back of the headlights purely for aesthetics. With it all boxed in, you won't be able to see any headlight wiring from the engine bay side, also you won't be able to see the headlight (obviously) which was what i was after.

You can still change a globe, it's just involves removing the grille and pulling the headlight out via the 3 adjustable screws as you pointed out Ari. So instead of it taking 2 minutes to replace a globe it might take 10. No big deal.

I used to have the air filter right behind the L/H headlight and yes, it was a good source of cold air in that respect, but with this build the filter will be under the L/H inner guard behind the rad support so there was no need for the headlight buckets to be open. I will probably be building an airbox under the guard that will pick up cold air from beneath the front panel.