Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

My Torana Rebuild

383 hatch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VG Ute 5.0,Torana hatch 383,WB Ute 5.0,VR stato5.0
Yours is roller aswell yeh? I'll be running probably a 3000 converter with it, so it should work nicely. The Victor junior won't be ideal for the set up as it starts at about 3000ish but it should be ok. I don't have much other choice as it's the only decent manifold i have come across that will keep it all under the bonnet. Ideally, i'd like to run an Performer RPM air gap, but it's taller than the Victor so it's a no go.

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
man i dreaming, or are "energy suspension" engine mounts about 10-15mm smaller than stock? i noticed they include am extra plate, which if you installed it would make the mount about the same width as the stock one...

just sayin' that 10-15mm extra on the mount could be the difference between air gap and jnr. those airgaps are not all that tall are they? just look like a regular dual plane with an extra 15mm hole under the plenum

383 hatch

Reaction score
Members Ride
The air gap is a fraction taller (read: bugger all), but it would be enough to touch the bonnet. The sump is only about 10mm from the crossmember so i can really afford to drop the engine at all unless i modify the sump. I'll see how the victor goes considering i've already got it, if it isn't what i want it's only a manifold swap to an air gap. I'd rather not, but i'll run the A9X reverse scoop if i have to.

383 hatch

Reaction score
Members Ride
Na i'm not real keen on running a scoop either, that's why i've gone to all this trouble to keep it under the bonnet. I'm going to stick with the Victor for now, if worst comes to worst, i'll buy an RPM air gap and see if it fits, if it doesn't i'll have 1/2" milled off the top of it. Easiest way around it.

The other problem with dropping the engine down, i have a high energy sump so if i drop the engine down the pan will hang down below the crossmember which isn't ideal either. Honestly, the motor really needs to stay where it is.

383 hatch

Reaction score
Members Ride
Little update.

This week i cut up the front cut to get what i needed. There is a little bit of rust behind the bonnet hinges that will need repairing, but that's normal. Still very happy with the radiator support panel, it's had a little ding that will need fixing, but yay for no rust.

Here it is all ready to go (just need to paint strip it all)
IMGP2943600x450.jpg

Also, it's been Christmas here this week. Here are some parts i've gathered for the 383

Brand new Holley HP 750 D/P (no quaddy here Ari....:p) Billet alloy throttle bracket too.
IMGP2935600x450.jpg

Gear reduction starter
IMGP2940600x450.jpg

Lunati roller rockers
IMGP2937600x450.jpg

New water pump
IMGP2939600x450.jpg

Polished alloy water pump pulley (i've also got a crank pulley on order)
IMGP2936600x450.jpg

ARP oil pump stud and oil pump drive
IMGP2938600x450.jpg

And, just a pic with the carb and bracket bolted on (yeh, i know, i'm wierd :p).
IMGP2942600x450.jpg

That's where this is at atm, once this Monaro is out the way (nearly finished) i'll be back into the Torana.

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
Brand new Holley HP 750 D/P

each to their own *shrug*

And, just a pic with the carb and bracket bolted on (yeh, i know, i'm wierd :p)..

weird??? id be doing the exact same thing :p in fact i think i did. assembled all of my rocker covers, timing cover etc with no vlave train. :D i cant wait till i can start mocking up my 454. for now im just going to rely on your thread for my fix.

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
looks great.
keep up the good work.

im just amazed at the work you can achieve.
would love to learn all your welding/cutting skills from you =P

383 hatch

Reaction score
Members Ride
looks great.
keep up the good work.

im just amazed at the work you can achieve.
would love to learn all your welding/cutting skills from you =P

Thanks mate. It all just comes with practice.

I braved the heat and did some work on the Torana today. I was pouring with sweat the whole time, but you can't let that stop you :p

Got all the old UC front cut off and the new LX front fitted on for a trial fit. .

Mmmm, much better :)
IMGP2944600x450.jpg

IMGP2947600x450.jpg

IMGP2945600x450.jpg

This is how i went about modifying the inner guards to accept the LX radiator support and front panels.
IMGP2946600x450.jpg

Normally i would have replaced the entire inner guard, but given that i'd already smoothed out the inner guards on the car, i decided this was the best way to go about it without smoothing another pair of inner guards (that was a fair bit of work to just cut off and throw away).

You will notice there is some rust where the bonnet hinges go, but that's easy fixed. Hopefully, this week i will get that fixed and paint strip the radiator support and get it welded on next weekend (it's only screwed on atm for a trial fit up).

78_torana

Reaction score
Members Ride
l67 torana
finally found where u been updating your build :) looking good Tim. I thought id make an account here the l67t forum is pretty boring these days, il have to put some pics up of mine too. November deadline then ay! good stuff