Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

My Torana Rebuild

383 hatch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VG Ute 5.0,Torana hatch 383,WB Ute 5.0,VR stato5.0
LOL Hayden, yeh mate this is about the only place i post updates now. I am going to put a thread up on GMH Torana when i get a chance. November is the dead line, but i'm hoping to get it done by August as i turn 30 this year, so i'm going to hire out Heathcote raceway and go drag racing with a few mates for my birthday and i'd really like to take this for a blast with the 383.

78_torana

Reaction score
Members Ride
l67 torana
**** yeah will go like a shower of ****, cant wait till i get that cooler on n a retune shud go deep into the 11s on e85

VR=355

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commodore 355ci
Pretty sure you can get away with running a standard torana wiring harness and just add a wire for the tacho. Nice build!!

383 hatch

Reaction score
Members Ride
Yeh, you can if you want, i'm hiring the track out for a private day. However, it's in August, not November. If you're keen, PM me and i'll give you the date, i'm not going to put it on the net as i'm not too keen on a bunch of randoms turning up...

In other news, i bought an auto for this today. I bought a Turbo 400, i was going to buy a Turbo 350, however i would dearly love to build a blown motor for this one day, so i figured if i stick a Turbo 400 in it now, it'll be there forever. I know it'll be overkill for an aspirated 383, but i have grander plans. A blown motor may not happen, but the auto will be there for it anyway. Also, for $500 for a recently reco Turbo 400, how can you go wrong?

Last edited:

78_torana

Reaction score
Members Ride
l67 torana
Bargain, im using the t700 again, so expensive to build :-( I know a few guys who have bought in 400s from the states built for 800+ hp for less than wat a 700 costs to build. Good choice with the chev tho Tim, so many options

383 hatch

Reaction score
Members Ride
Yeh, i couldn't pass it up for that money. I did think about a 700 briefly, but it would just be too expensive to build a 700 that would reliably stand up to the 383, and i don't really need 4 gears for the amount of driving this car does. It's only got 3.55:1 gears, so it should be fine with the 3 speed anyway.

383 hatch

Reaction score
Members Ride
So, i went and did some more engine part shopping today.

Bought a full gasket set, an alloy crank pulley, ARP flexplate bolts and an ARP Stainless steel 12 point engine bolt kit (to make it look a bit fancy :p). Also bought a B&M shift kit for the Turbo 400.

IMGP2948600x450.jpg

All i need now for the engine is an alternator (on order) and a pair of rocker covers. I think that's it anyway. Opinions on these rocker covers?

eBay Australia: Buy new & used fashion, electronics & home d
eBay Australia: Buy new & used fashion, electronics & home d

ATM, i'm leaning towards the black ones because they're a bit sinister looking :p but i also like the chrome ones...

I've also bought some fancy clear headlights (called showlights) which probably won't be to everyones taste, but i like them. All i need now is some headlight buckets and surrounds.

Last edited: