Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

My Torana Rebuild

Discussion in 'Projects' started by 383 hatch, Jul 16, 2011.

1. ari666

ari666 250,000 hits

Members Ride:
    1966 impala, R32 GTR
  2. 383 hatch

383 hatch Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VG Ute 5.0,Torana hatch 383,WB Ute 5.0,VR stato5.0
    We're getting bars rechromed by vinnies in dandenong for a HX Monaro, I think they're about $500 each. We'll see how good they are i guess, but like anything chrome isn't what it used to be.

3. 383 hatch

Members Ride:
    Been pricing up diff parts ready to build it. Brand new 31 spline Strange axles from VPW, $270 a pair. I paid $120 each to have my current 28 spline axles shortened and re-splined. For $30 more I can buy new axles. I cant believe how cheap some things have gotten, especially if you're doing a 9". I used to be an advocate of not using a 9" if you don't need it, but honestly i'll never use anything else again.

4. Jecs

Jecs PAVTEK Race Engines Staff Member

Members Ride:
    '97 Caprice 355ci & VZ SS Ute
    hatch need your opinion mate. im thinking of buyin difilippo extractors with tax money

i was thinkin of heat wrapping them cause i think it makes it look nice and beefy. but it looks hard to wrap them

so dunno if i should just get them coated

5. 383 hatch

Members Ride:
    Lot of different opinions on this one. Wrap holds the heat in the pipes and also keeps under bonnet temps down, however, it looks like absolute dog **** (obviously only my opinion), also pipes are known to crack when wrapped. Coating also holds the heat in the pipes and drops under bonnet temps, but it looks a hell of a lot better doing it. Some people like wrap, some people like coating.

For me, it's a no brainer, coating is the go. On a car like yours where everything looks so neat, it makes even more sense. Wrap will really look like crap, especially after a few months when it gets dirty.

One thing on the pipes, my mate and I fitted difillipo 4 into 1's on his VS ute and they hung ultra low. His car was on super lows all round and he could hardly get over a low speed hump without almost ripping them off.

6. ari666

ari666 250,000 hits

Members Ride:
    1966 impala, R32 GTR
  7. 383 hatch

Members Ride:
    Well, yeh they generally crack around the welds. It looks to be more common with stainless aswell. I'm sure if given enough time, it would eventually crack the pipes, but it cracks the welds first because they are the weakest point. What's the point if you don't wrap the entire extractor though? Seams pointless to me.

8. Deuce

Deuce Super Stock

Members Ride:
    '94 VR SS V8
    I thought that heat wrapping sometimes would cause advanced corrosion on the pipes due to trapped moisture etc.

1 plus for coated is that the whole thing is coated, including the contact between flange/gasket/head which will help keep heat in the pipe rather than transferring back into the cylinder head (may slow warm-up times, but could help efficiency on long runs)

I have coated headers on my V8 and would personally never use wrapped unless it was a dirty rat-bar hopper bike. and even then would probably re-wrap every year or two.
    (although, my starter motor is heat-wraped. Hmm, maybe I should strip that down to investigate)

9. 383 hatch

Members Ride:
    That is a very valid point about the moisture, however it wouldn't hang around long once the extractor heats up, but on a car that sits around a lot, it could well be a problem though. I think it's more to do with the sheer amount of heat that's being held in the steel causing premature fatigue.

10. Jecs

Jecs PAVTEK Race Engines Staff Member

Members Ride:
    '97 Caprice 355ci & VZ SS Ute
    sorry to hijack your thread hatch

i was going to get the black wrap, not white because it does look cheap and gets dirty quick.

only reason i didnt want to get coating is because my bay is already shiny as fk and i never been a fan off too much shiny. but i do love the ways yours look, do they dull down much?

ive read heaps about crackin the pipes but havent heard first hand about it.

and yeah i know bout difillippo's hanging low, and this might sound childish but too me it looks tuff as f**k

11. VS 5.0

VS 5.0 Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VE SSV Z Series M6
    Or black coating ? Best of both worlds ?

[​IMG]

12. 383 hatch

Members Ride:
    No need to apologise mate, I'm happy to talk about this stuff in my thread. If it helps people out, then it's all good.

I know what you're saying about the shine, believe me, I almost went black but changed my mind at the last minute. I just like the way they look and they'll be one of the only shiny parts in the engine bay, apart from the bay itself. Almost everything else is either black or silver, with some polished alloy splashed around here and there. So that's why I went shiny, I think it'll work well. If you're worried, then go black, I think it was about $30 more.

We've had a set coated black at work for my bosses HK ute we're building and they look awesome, very sinister looking.

I've fixed one set of cracked extractors that were wrapped, but that's the only set I've ever seen cracked first hand. I just personally think wrap looks like cheap **** (although it ain't cheap haha).

I've gone the other way, I've worked quiet hard at getting the pipes as high as possible, so I can have it low but still maintain decent ground clearance.

13. 383 hatch

Members Ride:
    So this car now has a deadline. I'm getting married on the 28th of February next year and the car has to be there. All the paint is coming this weekend for it and my brother is coming down on Sunday to give me a hand with the bodywork for a day.

Stay tuned.

14. immortality

immortality Home of the smoky breakfast Bacon! Staff Member

Members Ride:
    HSV VS Senator, VX s2 Calais S/C
    Sounds like a great motivator to get it finished on time :)

I have seen in some US parts catalogues that companies won't warrant headers if they are wrapped so it must do something to the detriment of the metal. Maybe contact your supplier and see what their opinion is on the issue.

15. ari666

ari666 250,000 hits

Members Ride:
    1966 impala, R32 GTR
    if you need a hand at all, gimmie a shout via PM of FB. youve given me 1000 years worth of advice, id be more than happy to repay any way i can.

16. 383 hatch

Members Ride:
    Thanks heaps for the offer Ari, I might even take you up on that, we'll see how we go. I'll probably be still putting it together the night before the wedding.

17. Hangman

Hangman Aspiring Sociopath

Members Ride:
    WK Land Yacht
    Congrats on getting hitched, mate. Look forward to seeing the car finished.

18. Deuce

Deuce Super Stock

Members Ride:
    '94 VR SS V8
    Marriage: Helping blokes finally finish there car projects since ages ago.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2014
  19. 383 hatch

Members Ride:
    Well, productive day. As I said earlier my brother came down today to help me. It's amazing how much 2 people can get done in a short timeframe.

We finished the repairs and got both guards, L/H door, nose cone and bonnet scoop all in hi fill. I also managed to finish the outside of the bonnet ready for a few coats of polyester. This is only the first coats of primer as I'll/we'll be blocking them back hard then re priming them to make sure they're straight, although the panels look beautiful first time around. I'm only polyestering the bonnet as it's going to be black and it's had quiet a few repairs to get it right and I want it dead straight.

So, photos.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. 383 hatch

Members Ride:
    Bonnet in polyester tonight. All ready to block back then hi fill. Another panel almost done.