It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community
Discussion in 'Projects' started by 383 hatch, Jul 16, 2011.
Updates? Nearing Feb.
Haha, you must have read my mind Mat, I was just about to do a little update.
Well, It's certainly been progressing. All the outsides of the panels (apart from the tailgate, which I have to finish) have been primed once and blocked back to make sure they're straight and that I havn't missed any bits, then primed again inside and out. So the panels are ready for final block back and paint. The engine bay is all rubbed back and ready to paint, that had come up really nice and should look beautiful with some paint on it.
Now to the shell. The repairs and filler work is all done, and I put it in polyester on Sunday. I only polyestered the 1/4's, beaver and roof skin, so none of the shuts have been polyestered, they will just be primed. I started blocking back the 1/4 panels last night and it's coming up nice but there is just a few little bits I'm not happy with so I might re poly the 1/4's just to make sure they're nice. I figure another day of polyestering and blocking will be worth it in the long run. I know I have a deadline looming, but I'm not going to cut corners just to get it there. I'd certainly love it to be at the wedding, but I'd rather it not be there than be there with me not being happy with it.
To be honest, all I want for the wedding is it painted, the body assembled and the driveline in it. I couldn't care less about the interior, it only really needs to look finished from the outside for photos. If it has 2 seats in it, that'll be good enough haha.
The only thing I really havn't settled is still the colour of the motor, I just can't decide, it's giving me the shits. The Salisbury diff will be going back in for the wedding as I really won't have the time or funds to build the 9". So, that'll put paid to any smoky shenanigans, but that's fine because the motor will be new, so I won't be beating up on it anyway.
So, that's about it at the moment. I have been taking photos, but I really can't be bothered uploading them right now.
hmmmm. im not gonna sound like a broken record, so ill just shut up.
I snapped these at Cars and Coffee the other week. My photo skills probably don't give it complete justice but it looked pretty good in the flesh.
Would look good in your green bay and work well with the black bonnet.
Waiting with anticipation for these.
seriously, that is so boring, i need meds just to keep my eyes open long enough to post a reply.
Hmm, black hey? I don't know about all black engines. I think you need to break it up a bit otherwise everything on the motor just gets lost in a sea of black. I do like the odd all black motor, but for me they need to be mega tough to pull it off (blower and injector hat) and they need to be satin black, not gloss. However, mine could work black, because it has a fair bit of silver/alloy to break it up. Then I still have that niggling little voice in the back of my head saying 'paint it chev Orange, you know you want to'. I'll work it out.
So, pic dump.
So that's the weekends efforts. There is plenty more pics to come from the last 2 days as I'm on holidays all this week. The pics do the colour of the engine bay and the paint work itself no justice, it looks killer in person. Things are definately progressing. Stay tuned, more to come.
sweet, green looks like ari's impala almost gonna do a white roof?
It's actually nothing like Ari's, this is just a solid colour, no metallic. No white roof for this baby, just the standard Torana style blackouts. Bonnet and around the window frames.
Here is some photos from yesterday and today.
On 4 wheels and outside for the first time in god knows how long....
Engine all painted and partially assembled.
Front crossmember and suspension parts painted.
Motor and trans all assembled up, ready to go.
Front end all assembled apart from the rotors and calipers.
Motor and trans on the front end ready to go in the car.
So that's where I'm at as of tonight. Tomorrow I will be doing the underside of the car, ready for it to be dropped over the front end/motor/box.
looking ####in sweet, need a bigger air filter though
What green is it mate? Progress looks awesome.
Cheers mate, it's been a very long road, but I can see some light at the end of the tunnel now. Yeh, I know the filter is probably a bit of wank factor, but I figure if I have to run a scoop, I might aswell fill it up.
The colour is mint julep, it's a factory Torana colour. Thanks mate.
So much awesome.....I'm green with envy.
Haha, thanks mate. Just quietly, this will be the best car I've ever owned when it's finished. I've never actually gone to this extent on a car before. It's far from a show car (I still maintain it'll just be a neat street car) but it'll be nice enough for me.
Coming along mate. Nice work.
Woah never would have picked it as Mint Julip, will look killer once together.
haha i was serious, if i can fit a 14x4" air filter on my car you can do the same that's made for carby
i'm glad to see progress, been awhile.
Oh ok. The hole in the bonnet will fit a 14" filter, but I kind of like the 9x6". If I get sick of it, I can always change to a 14", no big deal. 4" would give me room for a nitrous plate, should the need arise.
The A9X scoop is definately full height wise though.
Separate names with a comma.