Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

My Torana Rebuild

383 hatch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VG Ute 5.0,Torana hatch 383,WB Ute 5.0,VR stato5.0
Couple of little things done today, finished my low mount alternator bracket, just need to make an adjuster now and tidy up the welds a bit.

I also cut the hole in the firewall for the steering column and test fitted the column. Looks heaps neater IMO.

Pics:
IMGP3071600x450.jpg

IMGP3072600x450.jpg

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
How did you replace the mounting point at the bottom of the column? Plating over the large hole and cutting off the mounting plate leave the bottom of the column unbraced. How do you plan to ensure the column is rigidly mounted at the base?

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
the steering box will hole it tight, then you brace the upper section under the dash. that plate on the firewall was there for people with column shifts so you could feed the linkagkes through the firewall while still being attached to the shaft. totally unnecessary if you have a floor shift.

383 hatch

Reaction score
Members Ride
How did you replace the mounting point at the bottom of the column? Plating over the large hole and cutting off the mounting plate leave the bottom of the column unbraced. How do you plan to ensure the column is rigidly mounted at the base?

The column was never braced at the bottom anyway. It bolts in at the top under the dash (same as an HQ) and just goes through the hole at the bottom with the grommet which is a fairly neat fit. What i have done is exactly the same as standard, except the large plate doesn't bolt in anymore, the column just goes through its own hole which is exactly the same size as standard.

Don't worry mate, i thought it through before i went and welded it all up :)

the steering box will hole it tight, then you brace the upper section under the dash. that plate on the firewall was there for people with column shifts so you could feed the linkagkes through the firewall while still being attached to the shaft. totally unnecessary if you have a floor shift.

Exactly. That and the plate also makes installing the column a bit easier as you don't have to feed the column through the grommet in the car, which is no big deal IMO.

However, i don't have a steering box....It's rack and pinion :p

Boonz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
green 355 VG ute
i have a quick question.... where is your crankshaft?? seems to be missing in that last photo :p

383 hatch

Reaction score
Members Ride
Haha, the rotating assembly is out getting balanced ATM. The engine was just dummied up when it was in the car to check clearances and stuff, now it's got the water pump and pulley on so i could make the alternator bracket.

Don't you worry, i do own a 383 crankshaft. :)

Boonz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
green 355 VG ute
haha i was thinking something didnt look right :beer chug: and why theres all shiny bits and a dingey old red timing cover :p