Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

My twin 3" Hurricane exhaust, just bad luck or do they only last 4 years?

Croker

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS
Guys I am looking for some direction on what to do, I put this exhaust on in 2013 and it lasted until around 2017 when a hole rusted out in the drivers side muffler. Now, the exhaust has sounded awesome the entire time until this happened but it needs to be replaced and no one is willing to swap out only the muffler. It's been running around with a shitty patch job for about 2 years now.

I probably should mention that it's got an OTR intake, cam, extractors etc running around 300rwkw. Did I just get one lemon out of a normally good product or should I swap it out for another brand? I wouldn't mind making it a little quieter as well if possible, I've had a good run not being defected and would like to keep it that way haha

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
no one is willing to swap out only the muffler.

That makes no sense.

I've had exhaust shops replace single muuflers on multiple occassions before.

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
prob all the extra fuel going out the exhaust from the cam sitting in the mufflers rusting them out, alot of cycles where the engine was idled cold and stopped can cause excess fuel/water into the exhaust and it gathers in the mufflers too

Croker

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS
That makes no sense.

I went to 3 exhaust places and they all said I had to replace the whole thing so I never bothered any more.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Ring up Liverpool Exhaust/Hurricane for replacement?

Could add rear bi-modal(varex) to quieten it up.

Only mufflers I've seen damaged/wrecked were from lowered cars hitting on driveways & speed bumps.

blackve76

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS ute 360rwkw N/A, 2016 VF2 SS M6
That makes no sense.

I'm a boilermaker welder by trade and done a few exhaust jobs, old mild steel contaminated with exhaust **** can be hard to weld. One job ended up near a metre up system to get good thick metal to weld to. Mild steel systems rust from inside so shops probably don't want the drama

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
I went to 3 exhaust places and they all said I had to replace the whole thing so I never bothered any more.

I'm a boilermaker welder by trade and done a few exhaust jobs, old mild steel contaminated with exhaust **** can be hard to weld. One job ended up near a metre up system to get good thick metal to weld to. Mild steel systems rust from inside so shops probably don't want the drama

Fair enough. I don't pretend to be an expert in these things.....was just speaking from my experience over the years. Most recent was 2017.

Does suck though.

blackve76

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS ute 360rwkw N/A, 2016 VF2 SS M6
Fair enough. I don't pretend to be an expert in these things.....was just speaking from my experience over the years. Most recent was 2017.

Does suck though.
It does but mild steel just wears out, I bought a kpm system years ago when the x merge welds were cracking(over a 2 he return trip to get it repaired) so did it myself and even the stainless gets contaminateed so takes time with the tiger to clean up get a good weld

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
If its bad enough for all 3 places to knock it back, it must be too far gone. I don't know of an exhaust shop that would knock back a 10 minute job like that for some cash.

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
O
Guys I am looking for some direction on what to do, I put this exhaust on in 2013 and it lasted until around 2017 when a hole rusted out in the drivers side muffler. Now, the exhaust has sounded awesome the entire time until this happened but it needs to be replaced and no one is willing to swap out only the muffler. It's been running around with a shitty patch job for about 2 years now.

I probably should mention that it's got an OTR intake, cam, extractors etc running around 300rwkw. Did I just get one lemon out of a normally good product or should I swap it out for another brand? I wouldn't mind making it a little quieter as well if possible, I've had a good run not being defected and would like to keep it that way haha
OK got a 3" catback VE V6 on 04-2017. So can`t see why this won`t apply to you car.
Rang distributor at Virginia I think it was and he sent me a pic
The full exhaust comes shipped this this way now.
3iVhuf8.jpg

I would think they would sell one muffler?
Got mine at this place.
http://www.macsauto.com.au/