Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

My two H's 1965 & 2015 hanging out together

DR Stitch H.D

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Evoke wagon
I've often thought that an HD or HR fitted with an Ecotec and five speed or auto would be a nice performer. Much lighter than a VT-VY. Upgrade brakes and suspension and you'd have a sweet and reliable performer.
It's very reliable as it is right now & old reds are really ruff too, I almost put a VT ecotec & auto in my UC Torana years back.

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
Or an L67 with a manual. Something a bit different to the usual LS swap.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
I imagine it would be reasonably straightforward except for sump clearance. The crossmember would need extensive mods. The engine bay would be roomy enough with space for air con if required. I had an HR and was given an AC unit but there really wasn't the space for the condenser so I gave the idea away. With the much shorter 3.8, there'd be space to burn.

abuch47

Reaction score
Members Ride
LSS3 YOOTE
you hate to say it but barras are cheap AF

big motor though

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
you hate to say it but barras are cheap AF

big motor though
I seriously doubt you could stuff one of them in an HD without serious firewall mods. If you look at the HD and HR, they have a flat firewall, with no indentation to accommodate the engine. Part of the reason why this is so, and a contributor to the massive plough understeer of a stock HD, was that GM moved the engine forward 3 inches from the EH, to lower the transmission hump. Look at an EH and HD crossmember, the engine mounts are at the rear on an EH and the front on the HD. The free space front and rear in the HD engine bay isn't great. An Ecotec would fit easily. A Barra? Nah.

DR Stitch H.D

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Evoke wagon
I seriously doubt you could stuff one of them in an HD without serious firewall mods. If you look at the HD and HR, they have a flat firewall, with no indentation to accommodate the engine. Part of the reason why this is so, and a contributor to the massive plough understeer of a stock HD, was that GM moved the engine forward 3 inches from the EH, to lower the transmission hump. Look at an EH and HD crossmember, the engine mounts are at the rear on an EH and the front on the HD. The free space front and rear in the HD engine bay isn't great. An Ecotec would fit easily. A Barra? Nah.
Whilst it ain't a HD/R there are plenty of the big inline Ford 6 going into Holden's,
https://images.app.goo.gl/AhNo71k5pNYvfUN5A
While on inline 6's RB's are still a popular swap into old Holdens, https://images.app.goo.gl/swYDaTSCeULFcvvi9

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Yeah, the engine bay in the HK to HG was vast compared to the HD. And HQs on could swallow anything.