Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

My vb sl/e chev conversion

180sc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais & vh sl
Here is some pics and info for those wanting to do chev conversions to early commodores.
Ill start by pointing out this is a budget job and by no means intended as show standard or the likes.
I started with the purchase of my 79 vb sl/e, at the time of purchase it had a pretty tired 253 trimatic combo and i soon got sick of replacing fouled plugs and only getting 180-200k out of a tank of fuel so its time for an engine upgrade.

pics of when i got it apart from the grill i changed that to protect the mint vb grill from damage.
mini-IMGP0881.jpg

mini-IMGP0882.jpg

mini-IMGP0884-1.jpg

mini-IMGP0852-1.jpg

Now comes the fun parts, my dad had a 283 in his datto and went to a bigger 350 so we decided the 283 would look good in the vb as it was less then 10,000k old and better than the 253. The 350 came with a turbo 400 so we where intending on using that aswell but as it turns out we managed to pick up a good th700r4 for cheap so now thats the box of choice.

Last edited:

180sc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais & vh sl
So to continue .....

List of parts i will be using to drop the chev in.
Engine: 283-350 chev
Gearbox: turbo 700r4 (out of vq statesman)
Castlemaine rod shop conversion kit:
Engine mount adaptors
K frame spacers
Steering shaft spacer
turbo 700 gearbox crossmember
Chev into early commo extractors non power steer
sump
Other parts:
Gear reduction starter motor
vb-vk non power steering rack
vb intermediate steering shaft
vb/c turbo 400 speedo cable
B&M mega shifter or quicksilver shifter (dunno which one yet)
Adjustable strut tops

Once the old boat anchor was removed we set about putting in the k frame spacers and swapping over the steering rack for power to non power and put in the intermediate shaft spacer as well.
We needed to take a very small amout of metal off the edges of the knuckle in the intermediate shaft as it wouldnt turn with the spacer in but it was less than 1 mm so we dont think it compromises the integrity of the knuckle at all. Once together we notcied the spacer was fouling on the firewall and needed a bit of a bash with the hammer for clearence but i got a bit over zealous in this part hehe and now it looks a bit shitty but that can be cleaned up later when the car gets a respray. any way heres some pics with no engine.

k frame spacers
mini-commodore002.jpg

oops little over board with the hammer :emb:
mini-commodore001.jpg

I forgot to get a pic with the intermediate shaft in place before the engine went in sorry guys.

It was at this point we checked how the extractors went and discovered that the drivers side went between the intermediate shaft and the chassis rail there for would have to be put in there before the engine went in.

engine dropped in on worries at this point though the gearbox crossmember and mount would not line up with the mount bolt holes but ill get to that soon heres some more pics.

mini-commodore002-1.jpg

mini-commodore004.jpg

mini-commodore005-1.jpg

mini-commodore006-1.jpg

mini-commodore007-1.jpg

More to come soon trans issues and dissy clearence issues.

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
Thanks for taking the time to document this build since it's something that gets asked about alot

HSV802

Reaction score
Members Ride
RIP HSV Senator. Current 2002 VX2 HSV Clubsport.
More to come soon trans issues and dissy clearence issues.

Nice looking project,

With my old VC that had a chev in it had to bash the fire wall to fit an hei type dizzy (ie- big bar and a slege hammer :D)

in my VK when i put the 350 in to it used a twin point mallory and it fits with out any clearence issues (mechanical advance). Have just brought an electronic pro comp (hope it works lol) dizzy and coil looks like it will clear with out much hassle.

Im running a TH400 box had to make a little notch in the floor and put some 10mm spacers under the trans cross member so it sits the box abit lower with out hitting the floor also running a hurst shifter as its cable opperated and a single piece driveshaft.

One thing i have found with using Chev's is keeping them cool is abit of a hassle :cry: with out a engine drivin fan (both have had electric) in my current one im running EF falcon double ones does the job ok.

good luck with your car will be keeping an eye on your progress, wish mine was a chrome bumper one(VB,VC,VH).

PS - Once you go CHEV you never go back :yeah: :yeah: :yeah: :yeah:

180sc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais & vh sl
thanks guys,
The turbo 700 required some clearance on the floor bracing on the drivers side but only because we raised the rear to get more dissy clearance on the fire wall, we have already had a bash of the firewall and folded the lip flat but to gain any more i will need to remove the heater box and fan system which i will be doing at a later date.

I have a procomp dissy and my dad has the same and its has worked fine for a while now.

WE have run the 350 which will be going in on a 3 core radiator with single 16" thermo and it keeps it cool although it was running an electric water pump then but now has a hiflow edlebrock engine driven one so i am hoping not to have issues if it does i will be going with the ford fans my self as i have used them before and they are a great unit.
Project is on hold at the moment as we have to finish putting the new setup in the car the 350 came out of as we have run out of room to do both lol.

calais_cruzin

Calais_Rattling....
Reaction score
Members Ride
92 VP Calais 3.8
looking good trev, spewin u have to hold of for a bit to get her done.

You really should get this 500hp nos kit for it tho, would go down nicely

red_vb

i am a she, not a he...
Reaction score
Members Ride
vb
nice very nice...looking forward to seeing other pics and info.