Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

My Vc Wagon.....

GypsyNz

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy Wagon Ls1 & Vn Wagon
My Vc Wagon - RB30 Conversion

Here's some shots of my old girl...
I'm only the 3rd owner of it & shes in awesome condition body wise & interiors mint, the 1st owner re-powered it from a 4 cylinder boat anchor but he sure messed up the conversion. Used 4 cylinder mounts & had the engine 3 inches to far forward, i soon sorted that with a 6 cylinder k-frame. Its got a 173 in it with the 186s carb-manifold & factory twin branch headers going back to a celica 5 speed but I've made my mind up that shes going RB30. I was thinking of doing the conversion when i bought it but decided to sort what was in there, wish I'd bit the bullet and done it from the start but wont take much to get it done.

I'll put some pics up of when i bought it, in the engine bay shot you can see the funny position the engine was in.....
Picture001.jpg
Picture002.jpg
Picture326.jpg

Attachments

• Picture 002.jpg
    Picture 002.jpg
    127.2 KB · Views: 928
  • Picture 001.jpg
    Picture 001.jpg
    176.4 KB · Views: 1,127
  • Picture 004.jpg
    Picture 004.jpg
    196.2 KB · Views: 835
Last edited:

GypsyNz

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy Wagon Ls1 & Vn Wagon
Well finaly got the 173 going sweet yesterday, valve seat recession so whipped the head off to find valves sunken into the head. Bought a 2nd hand head and chucked that on, finally running like a kitten for the 1st time since i bought it. Will sell all the running gear off once i get all the bits needed to convert her over to RB30 but least for now shes running mint.
Was going to go V6 but i've always wanted to do an RB conversion in an early girl so the times right to fire ahead.....

Last edited:

GypsyNz

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy Wagon Ls1 & Vn Wagon
Sweet cheers for that, found a fair bit of info going through the threads on here so i reckon i should be able to sort it. And yeah theres some low lifes out there, just hunting for a parts car at pres then mission will be on.....

GypsyNz

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy Wagon Ls1 & Vn Wagon
Well had the old girl out for a run this week & besides the front indicator falling off somewhere it runs mint, the old bugger that owned it originaly liked to tinker & i reckon hes had it out at some stage. I'm still finding stuff hes messed with lol, exhaust & that indicator to sort & she'll be road legal. Still going to do a V6 conversion but going to leave it for down the track a bit since shes running so good, will give me the chance to sort a lot of other things 1st. Looking at buying a mig this week then i'll be set, that engine bay enoys me. Its one area that lets the whole car down....

Thought id put some current pics up of as she sits.....

Picture328.jpg
Picture329.jpg
Picture332.jpg
Picture331.jpg
Picture330.jpg
Picture327.jpg

Last edited:

GypsyNz

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy Wagon Ls1 & Vn Wagon
Having serious thoughts of maybe putting an Rb30 in her instead of the V6, complete Vl loom and dash etc. Its a job i could do in no time & with a lot less hassle. I no people will be thinking keep it old schools & put an 8 in it but im after something more modern & reliable, had a Vl turbo a few years back & never forgot it. Used to love these old 6's but they've sure had there day as far as im concerned.....

GypsyNz

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy Wagon Ls1 & Vn Wagon
Well the V6 idea's out the window, i pick up an RB30 auto wagon tonight. Sweet runner so that's what will be getting fitted in to the old girl, will be using the complete Vl loom & dash to simplify things. Only 2 things I'll have to sort for the conversion are an auto cross member & figure out the heater, the Vc's have the fan in the center of the fire wall where as the Vl's on the left hand side. So just have to find out if i can use the Vc heater with the Vl loom & dash or cut & weld in the Vl fan section into the Vc, if anyone's done this before & no's how to get round this I'm all ears....

The parts wagon's a series 2 engine as well so if some where down the track i manage to get my hands on the turbo gear over here that's how she'll end up....

GypsyNz

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy Wagon Ls1 & Vn Wagon
Been driving this for the last month while my daily's getting some well earned maintenance, got the old red 6 purring like a kitten so someones going to get a good buy when i pull it out. Just trying to figure out what colour where going to paint her so i can get some paint to do the engine bay, I'll do that 1st while I'm doing the conversion & get the rest painted down the track, thinking of a deep maroon or purple....
Cant wait to make a start on her i no that much, anyone out there got any knowledge on using the Vc heater with the Vl dash & loom would be awesome to.......

GypsyNz

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy Wagon Ls1 & Vn Wagon
Well sold the Hotwires today so i'll be putting the Vl diff & front struts in the old girl over the next few days, hunting round for a set of alloys for the new stud pattern at pres. Got a few sniffing round the running gear so touch wood that might sell soon, i dont think it'll be long now before i start doing the conversion. Nearly got my daily all fixed up so once thats done its mission on......

GypsyNz

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy Wagon Ls1 & Vn Wagon
Won a new set of mags on Trademe auction sight yesterday, 16x8 ROH 5 spokes. Good score for $100, got given a set of 215/60/16's So should look sweet on the old girl for now. Picking them up today, just have to get the Vl diff & struts in now ;-)
198091182.jpg