Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

My Vc Wagon.....

Discussion in 'VB - VC - VH - VK' started by GypsyNz, Oct 3, 2011.

1. GypsyNz

GypsyNz Member

Members Ride:
    Vy Wagon Ls1 & Vn Wagon
    My Vc Wagon - RB30 Conversion

Here's some shots of my old girl...
    I'm only the 3rd owner of it & shes in awesome condition body wise & interiors mint, the 1st owner re-powered it from a 4 cylinder boat anchor but he sure messed up the conversion. Used 4 cylinder mounts & had the engine 3 inches to far forward, i soon sorted that with a 6 cylinder k-frame. Its got a 173 in it with the 186s carb-manifold & factory twin branch headers going back to a celica 5 speed but I've made my mind up that shes going RB30. I was thinking of doing the conversion when i bought it but decided to sort what was in there, wish I'd bit the bullet and done it from the start but wont take much to get it done.

I'll put some pics up of when i bought it, in the engine bay shot you can see the funny position the engine was in.....[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 3, 2012
  2. GypsyNz

GypsyNz Member

Members Ride:
    Vy Wagon Ls1 & Vn Wagon
    Well finaly got the 173 going sweet yesterday, valve seat recession so whipped the head off to find valves sunken into the head. Bought a 2nd hand head and chucked that on, finally running like a kitten for the 1st time since i bought it. Will sell all the running gear off once i get all the bits needed to convert her over to RB30 but least for now shes running mint.
    Was going to go V6 but i've always wanted to do an RB conversion in an early girl so the times right to fire ahead.....

Last edited: Nov 16, 2011
  3. VK SL 3800

VK SL 3800 Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VK SL 5spd
  4. GypsyNz

GypsyNz Member

Members Ride:
    Vy Wagon Ls1 & Vn Wagon
    Sweet cheers for that, found a fair bit of info going through the threads on here so i reckon i should be able to sort it. And yeah theres some low lifes out there, just hunting for a parts car at pres then mission will be on.....

5. GypsyNz

GypsyNz Member

Members Ride:
    Vy Wagon Ls1 & Vn Wagon
    Well had the old girl out for a run this week & besides the front indicator falling off somewhere it runs mint, the old bugger that owned it originaly liked to tinker & i reckon hes had it out at some stage. I'm still finding stuff hes messed with lol, exhaust & that indicator to sort & she'll be road legal. Still going to do a V6 conversion but going to leave it for down the track a bit since shes running so good, will give me the chance to sort a lot of other things 1st. Looking at buying a mig this week then i'll be set, that engine bay enoys me. Its one area that lets the whole car down....

Thought id put some current pics up of as she sits.....

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 25, 2011
  6. GypsyNz

GypsyNz Member

Members Ride:
    Vy Wagon Ls1 & Vn Wagon
    Having serious thoughts of maybe putting an Rb30 in her instead of the V6, complete Vl loom and dash etc. Its a job i could do in no time & with a lot less hassle. I no people will be thinking keep it old schools & put an 8 in it but im after something more modern & reliable, had a Vl turbo a few years back & never forgot it. Used to love these old 6's but they've sure had there day as far as im concerned.....

7. GypsyNz

GypsyNz Member

Members Ride:
    Vy Wagon Ls1 & Vn Wagon
    Well the V6 idea's out the window, i pick up an RB30 auto wagon tonight. Sweet runner so that's what will be getting fitted in to the old girl, will be using the complete Vl loom & dash to simplify things. Only 2 things I'll have to sort for the conversion are an auto cross member & figure out the heater, the Vc's have the fan in the center of the fire wall where as the Vl's on the left hand side. So just have to find out if i can use the Vc heater with the Vl loom & dash or cut & weld in the Vl fan section into the Vc, if anyone's done this before & no's how to get round this I'm all ears....

The parts wagon's a series 2 engine as well so if some where down the track i manage to get my hands on the turbo gear over here that's how she'll end up....

8. GypsyNz

GypsyNz Member

Members Ride:
    Vy Wagon Ls1 & Vn Wagon
    Been driving this for the last month while my daily's getting some well earned maintenance, got the old red 6 purring like a kitten so someones going to get a good buy when i pull it out. Just trying to figure out what colour where going to paint her so i can get some paint to do the engine bay, I'll do that 1st while I'm doing the conversion & get the rest painted down the track, thinking of a deep maroon or purple....
    Cant wait to make a start on her i no that much, anyone out there got any knowledge on using the Vc heater with the Vl dash & loom would be awesome to.......

9. GypsyNz

GypsyNz Member

Members Ride:
    Vy Wagon Ls1 & Vn Wagon
    Well sold the Hotwires today so i'll be putting the Vl diff & front struts in the old girl over the next few days, hunting round for a set of alloys for the new stud pattern at pres. Got a few sniffing round the running gear so touch wood that might sell soon, i dont think it'll be long now before i start doing the conversion. Nearly got my daily all fixed up so once thats done its mission on......

10. GypsyNz

GypsyNz Member

Members Ride:
    Vy Wagon Ls1 & Vn Wagon
    Won a new set of mags on Trademe auction sight yesterday, 16x8 ROH 5 spokes. Good score for $100, got given a set of 215/60/16's So should look sweet on the old girl for now. Picking them up today, just have to get the Vl diff & struts in now ;-)
    [​IMG]

11. GypsyNz

GypsyNz Member

Members Ride:
    Vy Wagon Ls1 & Vn Wagon
    Well motor and box are sold so the fun's about to begin, pulling the Rb out this week & the 173 & make a start on the conversion. Thinking i'll drop the Rb in so i can set everything up then pull it back out to paint the engine bay.....So missions on at last ;-)

12. CORNY4

CORNY4 New Member

Members Ride:
    VH 304 EFI T5
    Looks like it should be a good project. So your using the vl k frame?

13. GypsyNz

GypsyNz Member

Members Ride:
    Vy Wagon Ls1 & Vn Wagon
    Shes a keeper so she'll come up well, be using everything from the Vl. K-frame - brakes diff The whole 9 yards, she'll basically be a Vl wrapped in a Vc shell buy the time im done. Dropping diffs now, just had another quake so i've stopped for a bit, im in the eastern suburbs in Christchurch Nz so shes fun & games......

14. CORNY4

CORNY4 New Member

Members Ride:
    VH 304 EFI T5
    Ohh haha, bugger that, couldn't live down there! She'll be mint. Staying auto?

15. GypsyNz

GypsyNz Member

Members Ride:
    Vy Wagon Ls1 & Vn Wagon
    Yeah a shallow 4.8 7 k's away so rocked the shed pretty good lol, yeah staying auto. The trans in the parts wagons a minter, drove it home and gave it a good thrash to check everything out. Just got the Vl diff out so onto mine soon......

16. GypsyNz

GypsyNz Member

Members Ride:
    Vy Wagon Ls1 & Vn Wagon
    Well thats 2 diffs out, take the Mrs to work soon then its beer time. Just sat one of the new mags under the back, they sure suit her i reckon.......[​IMG]

17. GypsyNz

GypsyNz Member

Members Ride:
    Vy Wagon Ls1 & Vn Wagon
    Well motor & box are sold so be pulling them out this week, got the Vl diff in so that's one less job to do. The conversion's about to begin, just bought an engine crane last night to make things easier. Cut the front out of the Vl yesterday so be a piece of cake to get the motor & trans out of that, cant wait to have it all done & sorted but i wont be rushing. Do it once & do it right is my motto ;-)

18. GypsyNz

GypsyNz Member

Members Ride:
    Vy Wagon Ls1 & Vn Wagon
    Getting ready to pull the motor out of the parts wagon, shes half out now. Bit on at pres so finish that in the next couple of days, new owners picking the 173 up in the weekend so going to hall that out tomorrow after i pick up the engine crane i bought ;-)[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

19. F l a k

F l a k Member

Members Ride:
    '94 VR Exec
    Looks good mate, but I prefer the old wheels to be honest.

20. GypsyNz

GypsyNz Member

Members Ride:
    Vy Wagon Ls1 & Vn Wagon
    Cheers & yeah i was gutted bout the wheels to but they were Ht holden pattern, she was still on 4 cylinder brakes so was damn scarey to stop. So the wheels had to go for safety sake, wanting to get this new type of mag I've seen over here at some stage. They've got a black mesh center with chrome outer, look pretty similar to the old hotwires so that's the plan for down the tack a bit