Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

My Vc Wagon.....

GypsyNz

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy Wagon Ls1 & Vn Wagon
Well interesting day today on the old girl, went down to Bunning's to get a hole saw & a soldering iron. Got home & sorted the holes for the central locking wiring to run threw, i then ran all the wiring across the dash & down the sides for it. Then got all the extra wiring holder's off the latest parts wagon, got the loom all tied up nicely on the drivers side & mounted everything that needed to be. After that i thought i'd chuck a battery in to check a few things, everything that's connected is working sweet & if she had the fuel system in & connected she would start. So major progress here, it's starting to fire me up hardcore to get her running. Not going to rush though i'll just keep cruising, going to do the head light & indicator wiring soon. Will drop the tank & lines soon to then i can get at the fuel pump wiring etc, couple to 3 weeks & she'll be running for sure. Still got to make a cross-member for the trans but will get that sorted soon enough:thumbsup:
Picture427.jpg
Picture425.jpg
Picture426.jpg
Picture428.jpg

chrisso 82

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB commodore
Awesome work mate its very good to see your tackling everything yourself!!!!!!!

Mate i have to say i miss those days with my car when it was in pieces trying to sort things out !!!!!

My Vb is now pretty much at its final state just the way i like it but i always want to tinker with it ......But there is not much left to do!!!!!!!!

Once again mate GOOD work!!!!!

GypsyNz

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy Wagon Ls1 & Vn Wagon
I'm sure getting stuck in, there'll be a heap of hurdles along the way but i'll nut them out. Trying to figure a plan for a cross-member for the trans at pres, going to go get some steel tomorrow & see if i can sort it. It's bloody tight i tell ya lol but it wont beat me & yeah it sure is satisfying doing it all yourself, i wont pay someone to do something unless i hit a serious wall & i haven't hit one yet....
I no what your saying bout having something to tinker with, once this is done i'll probably start messing with my Vs wagon some more. Wont be going over board on that one though as it's the daily, your Vb is something to be real proud of. You've done an awesome job on her:thumbsup:

GypsyNz

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy Wagon Ls1 & Vn Wagon
I'm pretty good but cheers, the plan i've got for mine will be similar to your's. The box section for the main with angle iron for the sides to mount it but for the actual mounts i'm thinking of getting some c section & position it to the correct angle for the trans mounts to bolt to,get the c section so it can slide over the box section so i can set the angle. What they did on yours was cut the top off the mounts & re-positioned it to suit straight up instead of angled like factory, nothing wrong with yours i'm just worried about melting the rubber on the mounts welding the top so came up with this new plan.
Hope what i've written above makes sense, never made one before so i'm keen to do it.........

drewVHSS

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
stores.ebay.com.au
Members Ride
'83 VH SS, '79 Green VB SL '92 S2 VQ Caprice
my mounts bolt straight thru, i took the ones on the original vl one and bolted em onto the modified one cause they were perished.
I agree about the angle not being ideal though.

GypsyNz

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy Wagon Ls1 & Vn Wagon
When i nut mine out i'll get some pic's up of how i've done it, just going to tac mine together when i do it then get an engineering company to do the final welds when i'm happy with it. Have to over here for certification, i'd say why they've gone straight up with yours in because of space. It is tight with them in there factory position, i'll try get some pics up tommorow ;-)

GypsyNz

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy Wagon Ls1 & Vn Wagon
Well i got busy again today, building a cross-member for the trans. It's bloody solid, hope it does the trick ok. She's tight for space on the drivers side but i cant see it moving enough to hit touch wood, i'll get some pics when i get this finished & bolted up. Just got the drivers side mount to make up & tack on, found an engineer to do the final welding so that's a bonus....
Well i'll let the pics do the talking, my 1st attempt at making something like this & it may show lol:yeah:
Picture430.jpg
Picture429.jpg
Picture431.jpg
Picture432.jpg

GypsyNz

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy Wagon Ls1 & Vn Wagon
Finished the drivers side of the cross-member, all tacked up. Got a guy to do the final welding at 3 this arvo, hopefully after all this effort it works ok. Let the front jack down so the full weight was on the cross-member & mounts to check for clearance & while tight it looks ok, got the driveshaft angle looking good to so touch wood she's all good. With the limited space in the tunnel short of designing some other type of mount this was the only way i can see it being done, i've used pretty thick steel so it's solid as. Bit of weight in it lol
Picture433.jpg
Picture434.jpg
Picture438.jpg
Picture439.jpg
Picture440.jpg

GypsyNz

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy Wagon Ls1 & Vn Wagon
Go & pick the cross-member up soon, just the 4 bolt holes to drill on that & bolt her up. I'll give it a coat of black paint before i bolt it up, weathers turned to crap here today so not to sure how much i'll get done. Think i'll finish the underneath next, tank - lines & driveshaft. Then can run all the wiring for the rear of the wagon, will be able to start her then i'd say:spot on: