Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

My VE commodore won't crank

Dansmith8697

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE commodore
Hi, so my VE commodore decided not to start today. So when you do a quick key turn the Motor cranks but will not start. When you use the key and turn it to accessories then try to start it, it simply clicks under the passenger side. Relay clicks and I've replaced it and it still clicks. Any information that anyone may know will help. It's like it's imobilised it's self, security light on stereo goes away as normal. Just won't start from accessories like it's ment. To. Have to do a quick key turn, then it cranks but doesn't start. Ahhhh stressful

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
Gossie already mentioned battery age and I would disconnect the battery terminals and clean the battery posts with sand paper or emery cloth, then do the same inside the clamps.
I did a mates last week with emery on the posts and a rat tail file inside the clamps.
You can also buy a cleaning tool to do them.
If that fails a jump start may be needed or another good battery to test out the battery theory.
Weird problem as you describe the switch but it is after all a mechanical monster.

Dansmith8697

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE commodore
Thankyou for this information, I will definitely try this. Though when I put the jumper pack on it, and jumper leads, it will crank fast and want to start but won't. As if it's imobilised. Though that only works if I turn key from 1st position to start very fast, it works and cranks. But when I do the standard way of starting, it just clicks. Doesn't click in the starter motor, it clicks under the passenger side of the dash. Like a relay, though I changed the relay. Maybe a ground issue, any ideas thankyou so much for everyone's input. Much appreciated

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
Sounds like this post where the op had a new barrel installed

I wonder if it has anything to do with the starter switch which I assume is located on the column and connected via a rod to the key assembly
Also try this
when sitting in car remove the key, lock car, unlock car, insert key and try again.

Dansmith8697

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE commodore
Thankyou for this information Rambunctious. I will give this a look in the morning. As it does sound like a starter switch. Thankyou for this. Any other information would be great. Appreciate your time. I'll update tomorrow