Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

My Vehicle Dilemma

Changa

Alex Short
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive
Hey Guys,
I own a 1996 VS executive with 170000kms on the clock. My torque converter is stuffed and I have the option of getting a new transmission or maybe selling the car to get a new one. Basically I had an offer today at the gym for $2000 for my VS. I was going to get a fully reco'd modified transmission for $2000 and just keep the car, but this has me thinking. I need to keep the car for the next 3 or 4 years as I start Uni in brissy next year. If I was to buy a new car I would spend 4-5 grand on it. But thats really only three as I could get 2 grand from selling it. I have approxiamately 9 grand on hand at the moment, but I am looking to spend as little as possible because I need to save money for living expenses and such at Uni. I have another 5-6 months to work before I leave, so I could end up with about 14-15 grand in the bank, providing I do nothing about the car or spend it elsewhere. I was wondering am I able to pick up something newer than mine maybe a VT or VX for 4 or 5 grand in brisbane? Plus the other thing is I know a bit about cars but I am no mechanic ,so I have no idea whether im buying a **** car or not. So I would like your opinions based on my money problems should I, keep the VS and get a new transmission, or sell it and buy a newer model? The VS has a 2 problems, but I pretty sure the new transmission will fix those. Apart from that its a fairly decent car, has a lifter rattle but thats about it.

Thanks guys,
Alex

VTCommy

up tha commodores!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S2
Mate if i where you. i would deffinetly sell the VS and buy something a bit newer.
I bought my 1999 VT executive 7 months ago with 150 on the clock and in imaculate condition... i paid $5000 for it. i would deffinetly just get rid of the VS and just look around for a clen car which has been serviced regulary and sounds ok... and if in doubt about it, do what i did which was go to RAA and pay them $100 to chech over the car... they check over EVERYTHING from tyres to brakes to engine to electrical. That is my opinion. But good luck with it mate.

Changa

Alex Short
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive
Yeah, thats the problem, finding a car in good condition with acceptable Km's and not buying a dud which could be quite possible as I am an inexperienced buyer of cars.

nemesis_adrasteia

better to reign in hell
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR commodore HSV(without all the gay ****)
i reckon its worth keeping the VS if its only got 170000 on it, surely you could find a transmission for less than 2 grand?

quick search of ebay gets this

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/COMMODORE-AUTOMATIC-TRANSMISSION-4L60E-RECONDITIONED_W0QQitemZ260427512582QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAU_Car_Parts_Accessories?hash=item3ca2b07b06&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A1%7C66%3A2%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318%7C301%3A1%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50

trepaul

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK Berlina 308
Dude, fix the car you got. You could sell a car that needs one thing fixed (yours) and end up buying someone else's lemon that could take thousands to fix. Obviously, you might not, but if you're trying to minimise the amount of money you're spending that would be the least risky proposition. And like you pointed out, fixing the car you got will be cheaper than getting a new one, so you're already ahead.

Changa

Alex Short
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive
Yeah that seems like the go. I know I could get a cheaper reco'd transmission, but the one I am getting has like an extra 15 or so modifications for added strength and durability. Whereas I get another reco'd transmission thats cheaper but is only rebuilt to stock level it wont last nearly as long, or be anywhere near as good. So I figure the stock reco'd trans is about $1500-1600 where I live or I could get a nice modded one for $2000 which is going to last a lot longer.

Changa

Alex Short
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive
By the way, the $2000 is drive in the morning drive out in the afternoon. So its labour inclusive, plus they give me a free diagnosis of whats screwed in my transmission before it gets done. I know people say get it yourself and put it in to save on labour, but guys I dont have hoists and I dont have anything to hold the trans and I would rather get it done by professionals.