Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

My VH - first time project.

Kmac

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH
Hi Guys, This is my first project so I am kinda winging it and figuring things out as I go. I have little to no experience. No car loving friends or family to help, So it's just me.

This one is an 84 SL, nothing fancy still running stock 202. Just mostly fixing it up and doing some cosmetic work to start with before I even think of what to do with the engine. Havent got much time, so it's going slowly. I'd love to hear your opinions, i have done it all my self.

The exterior paint work is a Piece of crap closed door blue respray over poorly prepared (if at all) original silver - I will be lookin at stripping and repainting in the future. Guy who had it before me just had no respect for the old girl.

It's in pretty good nick overall- running awesomely well - bought it from a guy for $800 so I cant complain.

Still got a lot of work to do. Please let me know what your thoughts are so far. I know the door cards need touching up, hard to get the dye right with the spray can, gonna fix it all up with a brush.

Before you ask, the reason for colouring the dash is because I could not find all the nedded replacement parts in blue, so I bought a wreck with a brown interior and mixed and matched to get all the pieces i needed.

DSCF1306.jpg

DSCF1301.jpg

DSCF1298.jpg

cars016.jpg

cars013.jpg

Hoska91

Formerly 75HJPREM
Reaction score
Members Ride
Getz Lyfe & E34 Project
Hey mate, she looks good from what i can see, throw up a couple of pics of the exterior and engine and such for everyone to have a look see :)

VHRickster

Reaction score
Members Ride
5lt VH
Good luck...VH is Gods favorite car!!
But that red dash makes me dizzy!!!

50LTRv8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT V8 Calais
Nice first project if you want a cheap paint job seach painting with rollers on this site.

Kmac

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH
Thanks for the encouragement. I have big plans for this car - just not sure if my skills are up to speed with my imagination.

Here are some photos of the exterior. I havent done much of anything to it as yet. Just replaced the broken lights front and rear. This paint in so bad that if you whipe your hand across the boot, your hand comes up blue. The paint also runs when it rains!
i will get some of the engine up in a later.
DSCF1310.jpg

cars024.jpg

DSCF1313.jpg

TY318

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL 202
looks good so far cant wait to see more did u do the tint on the car too

Trav001

Reaction score
Members Ride
1983 VH SL 3.3 Litre 5 speed, 2002 VY Executive
looks awesome im doin up my 1st car atm and ive just posted a thread for it. ive done my door trims the same but blue instead of red, ur's looks great keep it up.

machone

Reaction score
Members Ride
VHSLE/VXSS/VXEXEC
lmao the paint comes off when it rains?....sorry but ive never seen that...but it looks like it will be easy to take the paint off...50LTRv8 mentioned painting it with rollers i read that id love to give that a go.....another cheap option is to go old school rat rod.... paint the old girl mat black ..lower it throw some stock rims on paint them red... white wall the tyres the look is cool and its something that you can do with out spending a fortune and needing help with..... the paint doesnt need to be perfect...because thats the look....i know a guy who painted his 67 impala with spray cans in mat black it came up a treat as long as you get your panels smooth...ive always wanted to do a VK in satin black not gloss lower it and throw some 18-20 inch set of wheels chrome wheels on it....a lot of work you can do by yourself looking at what youve done so far all good mate....btw the red dash looks cool no dizzy spells here lol

Darren_L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SS
that paint will need to be taken back to the metal
if you can't afford to get the paint professionally done, just some research on the net (plenty of info out there), hire a compressor and buy yourself a gravity feed spray gun and practice (using acrylic) on some old panels until you get it right. Then have a go yourself. Best of sticking with acrylic, unless you have all the right gear

mr j-man

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/E 355
Thanks for the encouragement. I have big plans for this car - just not sure if my skills are up to speed with my imagination.

Here are some photos of the exterior. I havent done much of anything to it as yet. Just replaced the broken lights front and rear. This paint in so bad that if you whipe your hand across the boot, your hand comes up blue. The paint also runs when it rains!
i will get some of the engine up in a later.
ohh thats bad.....hey if u leave the car in the rain for a week or so u wont have to rub/sand it back when it comes time to paint!