Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

My VH SL Wagon.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Yeah the exposed studs sticking out strut tower for vs/vt setup is pet peeve on nice engine bays...so is ignition leads over rocker covers(guilty grr) instead of longer leads around back much neater

Yep kingy pads fit same shape cover more surface area..still article on autospeed.

Been so long since I last did it need to revisit to get part numbers again.

Current car has little to no vacuum for brakes so eleccy vacuum pump & kingy pads will be big step up.

Still got baby discs/cast caliper on mine..cant do much in it anyway everyone grabs phone starts filming the bast@rd

Crash

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Calais S2 V6, VS 5.0 UTE (sold), VH 355 WAGON..
Yeah the exposed studs sticking out strut tower for vs/vt setup is pet peeve on nice engine bays...so is ignition leads over rocker covers(guilty grr) instead of longer leads around back much neater

Yep kingy pads fit same shape cover more surface area..still article on autospeed.

Been so long since I last did it need to revisit to get part numbers again.

Current car has little to no vacuum for brakes so eleccy vacuum pump & kingy pads will be big step up.

Still got baby discs/cast caliper on mine..cant do much in it anyway everyone grabs phone starts filming the bast@rd

@gtrboyy, I think those studs are probably the last thing on the list to make my engine bay even tidier.
Thats really interesting about the pads though.
What car are you talking about that has baby discs and filmed?

The studs don't look to bad on my car.

Last edited:

Crash

Reaction score
Members Ride
https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwiGyIX2yubRAhWHjJQKHXZ-Dw8QFggbMAA&url=http://origin.autospeed.com/cms/title_Padding-Up/A_0835/article.html&usg=AFQjCNGm9ozZmM757t6vSHxq8VG-kS5tZA

Autospeed article - Padding Up
Young whipper snapper days reading early zoom mags....
Yeah still using original 270 discs/calipers...soft pedal feel low booster vacuum will keep ya honest haha

Cool, I'll check it out. Pity i don't need pads just now though, i've got new ones.

Crash

Reaction score
Members Ride
I had a bit more of a go at the back seat today. Measure twice cut once. haha
Got the seat all sorted now, just need to weld it up and paint it.

Then i put it in for a trail fit. Worked a treat.

The reason it steps back in away from the door is to clear the arm rest/door handle. Its factory. I thought i'd stuffed up when i first put it back in.

Last edited:

Crash

Reaction score
Members Ride
Decided to make a drop box for my B&M Quicksilver shifter.

The bottom one i made the same as pics i had seen and what mates had told me to do but it didn't suit my application. So instead of cutting it up i just folded up another one. This time i gave it more room to move back and a little bit deeper. (Top one in pic)

Done

Sitting in the car. Just gotta finish it off with the cover plate.

Last edited:

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Couple things learnt from my dodgy dropbox.

Bit more clearance around inhibitor/reverse switch...wires end up at stupid angle makes hard to get them on/off particularly as inhibitor is bottom switch
purple + purple white trace = inhibitor
pink + green = reverse lights

Dummy up console go through gears etc as my Pro Stick reverse lockout annoyingly hits console & shifter cover..move it back or cut reweld

Seal any holes or you'll regret it.

Insulate under shifter as heat transfers up shifter..I used that firewall leather & foam vh have lol
Also heatproof underneath dropbox & shifter cable if near exhaust.

Want to add cover plate with PRN321 engraved in it + night globe on mine stop confusion what gear it's in when mate's drive it & look legal

Shifter cables dont like to be curved at connection end...try to have them straight as you can long as possible...through end piece of dropbox instead of bottom will have cable go straight along top of auto then can curve near b/housing,long curved arc so it has least angle to pan bracket

Crash

Reaction score
Members Ride
Couple things learnt from my dodgy dropbox.

Bit more clearance around inhibitor/reverse switch...wires end up at stupid angle makes hard to get them on/off particularly as inhibitor is bottom switch
purple + purple white trace = inhibitor
pink + green = reverse lights

Dummy up console go through gears etc as my Pro Stick reverse lockout annoyingly hits console & shifter cover..move it back or cut reweld

Seal any holes or you'll regret it.

Insulate under shifter as heat transfers up shifter..I used that firewall leather & foam vh have lol
Also heatproof underneath dropbox & shifter cable if near exhaust.

Want to add cover plate with PRN321 engraved in it + night globe on mine stop confusion what gear it's in when mate's drive it & look legal

Shifter cables dont like to be curved at connection end...try to have them straight as you can long as possible...through end piece of dropbox instead of bottom will have cable go straight along top of auto then can curve near b/housing,long curved arc so it has least angle to pan bracket

Thanks. I've done all that, thats why i made the 2nd box. I'm not running an auto console top but the factory manual one.
The shifter, box and console have been in and out of the car that many times this weekend its not funny anymore.

I did think about the wires but i can't get any more room behind it so it'll do. (I'm certainly not cutting the tunnel up to buy more room). My car was a factory 4 speed car so so i still need to work out the inhibitor wires.

I stuffed around trying to get the hole in the exact position before drilling also. It's an oval hole with enough room for the cable to move into position. I'll then silicone the hole up once I'm happy with where it sits.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
oops meant Pro Ratchet.

When got my car had no inhibitor nor room to fit switches.

Had dropbox out a few times still not happy with it or brackets that bolt to pan.

I reckon extra time it takes with little things like that are worth the effort or it annoys you forever haha

Crash

Reaction score
Members Ride
Yeh thats it @gtrboyy. I'm somewhat OCD when it comes to that sort of thing, so everything i do to it has to be perfect or it bugs me.
I had to make the 2nd box deeper coz the manual cover plate is flat compared to the auto one being raised. I'm actually going to make a new shifter plate that holds the rubber boot and make the hole about an inch further forward because the shifter just touches it when going into Park. I'll paint or wrap it brown so it'll look standard. Should be the goods.