Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

My Vl Turbo Conversion

detox_nath83

Another VL Driver
Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Turbo Commo
Hey boys cheers.. nah i havnt been online for a while so ill be back on and updates will b coming as i have dome some small ones.. just been in the process of moving house then a lease running out and moving again... haha sooo wont b long fellas till i settle with the net back on.

detox_nath83

Another VL Driver
Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Turbo Commo
Righto so im nearly settled after much moving etc and sorting my net out. been using my Mobile as a tethered bluetooth modem to get me by.

About a month back i took the L to a mates Exhaust shop and used a hoist for half the day. as i noticed an oil leak which was dropping off from my bellhousing. i immediately knew this was

the rear main was shot.. Hoping for just some loose Sump bolts or damaged sump gasket, sadly it wasn't.

So Gearbox out (trans oil was a little burnt oops) flywheel off and this is what i was confronted with

Photo255.jpg

So out with the old and in with the new
Photo256.jpg

Then while i was at it. Dumped the engine oil/filter, new input and output shaft seals on the box then bolted her back in. also ditched the old trans filter and installed a new one as well as tightened the front and rear bands.

Photo254.jpg

Photo258.jpg

Replaced fluids and away i go. Box is a lot more happy and i have no oil leak.Wooommmpppaaaaa :p

Stupid me i should have done the tail-shaft Uni's and center bearing as well but i did not think that far ahead from the other things i was doing.

Cheers Guys...
Nate

Reaction score
Members Ride
00' WH Stato LS1 A4
Hey mate what sort of external wastegate are you using?

The manifold looks stainless from here, is it an ebay spec high mount?

Just in the process of hooking up all of my turbo gear to my r31, but have a feeling I have the same wastegate and manifold as you do, so after some feedback if thats the case :)

detox_nath83

Another VL Driver
Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Turbo Commo
wastegate is a 50mm design from the earlier HKS ones... Yes the manifold is an ebay special. Got my mate who owns an exhaust shop to have a look at it and he said its not bad at all. sooo i went with it.

Feedback ok well the wastegate is fine does its job on 10.5 psi and the manifold has no cracks/leaks holding a to4e turbs. Quick spool up as well.. i had to weld on a 4 bolt flange for the wastegate as it came with a 2 bolt flange already welded on.

Reaction score
Members Ride
00' WH Stato LS1 A4
Ah, fair enough. I have an ebay special on at the moment, seems alright. I figure if it cracks I'll just fork out the extra for a decent one. I got it 2nd hand (but not used) quite cheap. and it came with an ebay spec wastegate too

http://www.manufacturer.com/cimages.../0308/t/10991975_HKS_Style_50mm_Wastegate.jpg

That is the style of wastegate (well, it IS that wastegate) that i have too.

I put a 3psi spring in it, just waiting on boost lines to come in and a fitting for the autometer boost gauge i have.

What did you do to mount the intercooler, angled steel pieces?

detox_nath83

Another VL Driver
Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Turbo Commo
cooler is mounted from the top fixing tapped holes on the cooler and is bolted through the lights rail (under the high beams)
that's how everybody mounts them :p

3psi spring... Harden up bud:p
run 6psi if your not upgrading the injectors and ecu. if u have these run 10psi

Reaction score
Members Ride
00' WH Stato LS1 A4
haha, well. Its a nissan but i have wired up a VLT ecu and have put VLT injectors in it. I do have a turbosmart manual boost controller which i'll put in later...

What does the standard spring run? Its a fairly large black spring lol. I put a little yellow one in it which is 3.6psi

detox_nath83

Another VL Driver
Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Turbo Commo
yeah i saw u said u had an R31 i forgot when i explained how to mount it.

mate put the other spring back in i think mine was a 6psi spring, i put in the controller and set the boost to 10.5

vk_4speed

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vk 355ci and Vn calais
you got a really nice vl mate, i wanna get one but i dont wanna get rid of my vk haha and i no where a really nice vl calais is sitting the same colour combination as yours, im thinkin of goin to see if he wants to sell it. keep it up bro