Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

My Vl Turbo Conversion

detox_nath83

Another VL Driver
Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Turbo Commo
Name: Nathan
Car: 1987 VL Commodore
Engine: RB30E Converted to RB30ET(Turbo) All work done Myself and a mate Jason with a lot of swearing, clearance probs and beers drank with help verbally from Nackerz <---cheers bloke :beer chug:
Engine Mods: Cold Air Intake, T04E Turbo Journal Bearing Oil Cooled only on a Highmount Manifold, 3" Dump pipe to Cat, 50mm External Wastegate with a manual boost controller set at 12 psi with screamer plumbed in before cat then 3" Cat Back to Stainless 3" Turbo Tip, Front Mount Intercooler 600X300 X 70mm with 2.5" cooler piping, Powdercoated the rocker cover at work Flame Red, with a high gloss finish over top. K&N Panel Filter
Body: Black with Green Fleck (dont know color name or code) De-badged, New Front Lights, VL Brock Grille
Gearbox: Stock Auto Sludgebox Gettin tired Now Ha
Stereo: Pioneer Headunit, Pioneer 6x9 4 ways 450 Watt In rear, 3 way 6" 250 watt Clarion Fronts, 1 Dominator 1000 watt amp, 1 Audioline 600 watt Amp, 2x 12" Subs(Forgot make). and 1 12" Clarion 500 watt sub Caus 2 just aint enough
Interior Mods: Central Locking, Alarm , Aftermarket Steering Wheel, Berlina Dash Cluster, Calibre Boost Gauge, Oil Pressure Gauge and Type R Water Temperature Gauge
wheels: 225/50/R16 All round VT Clubby Knockoffs by PDW 16"
Suspension: Lowered 3" approx
Future Mods: 5 Speed Manual, 3" Exhaust Right Through(Done), Fix that crappy Intake for turbo(Done), respray bumpers, Make a Heatshield for turbo,gas struts for bonnet(Done), Turbo ECU(Done), Turbo Injectors Done,28 Spline LSD Diff, Disk Rears(Done), Turbo front callipers + DBA Slotted Rotors Fronts(Done), Oil Catch Can((Done)Up the Boost(Done) :p
Fix Ups: Bumper where stupid cow kicked it while away shooting, Front trim strip left side under light, Flaking Paint in engine bay and Under bonnet Painted(Done).

Conversion Pics are Here

Cheers Lads
Nath

VlCommodoreTurbo.jpg

VlCommodoreTurbo1.jpg

VlCommodoreTurbo3.jpg

like where the cow kicked my car
VlCommodoreTurbo9.jpg

Yes Boot has had a Vac since pic
Subs.jpg

Amps are crappy brands, but does the trick drives stereo well(bleeding from the ears ahhhhh)
Amps.jpg

Interior.jpg

DSC00390.jpg

VlCommodoreTurbo2.jpg

VlCommodoreTurbo4.jpg

VLTurbo-2.jpg

Last edited:

87 AVL

Reaction score
Members Ride
vl calais
nice car the future mods sound good

B

BXHD

nice!! black looks awsm!
LOL, did a cow actually kick ur car? hahaha that sucks man.

redrags

Reaction score
Members Ride
walking

Last edited:

detox_nath83

Another VL Driver
Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Turbo Commo
yeah long story short was leaving from a property i go shooting on 400 acres long driveway out cows everywhere all over road...beep horn they looked at me not moving,...... revved car still nothing.......did a standstill kicking dirt, dust, still nothing docile fkr just looked at me like (your an Idiot) so i moved up and nudged her ever so softly, she panicked and pigrooted and kicked my bumper in
wanted to shoot her... :p

as for the paint it needs a good cut polish.... my mate is a panel beater/painter so he got all gear waffle pads low speed buffer for the job ill help him rub it back he will buff and treat :p
need to get another pic in sun to show the green in the black and the flek

Last edited:
B

BXHD

yeah long story short was leaving from a property i go shooting on 400 acres long driveway out cows everywhere all over road...beep horn they looked at me not moving,...... revved car still nothing.......did a standstill kicking dirt, dust, still nothing docile fkr just looked at me like (your an Idiot) so i moved up and nudged her ever so softly, she panicked and pigrooted and kicked my bumper in
wanted to shoot her... :p

as for the paint it needs a good cut polish.... my mate is a panel beater/painter so he got all gear waffle pads low speed power tools for the job ill help him rub it back he will buff and treat :p
need to get another pic in sun to show the green in the black and the flek

hahahahahhahaa!!! u need a bull bar ;)
how brittle are the old bars tho.. my bf has a vl calais and we were re painting them and a piece along the back bar crumbled.. i was like... NOOOOOOOOOO :(

VL_5SPEED

Reaction score
Members Ride
1986 Holden VL calais project
They really are a **** of a thing to convert to turbo, pretty simple and straight forward just hard to get hands in places. Yours would of been easier with the high mount set up. And you need to run a screamer pipe. Honestly who plumbs an external gate back into the exhaust :p

detox_nath83

Another VL Driver
Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Turbo Commo
yeah very easy to do man i just had manifold and turbo and wastegate all bolted up but could not put it in like that so had to do it in pieces
cooler piping was a bugger for clearance probs all good now though

plumbed in if i want it legal

turbo has a nice spooling sound anyways :p