Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

My Vl

Gaiter

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS Thunder
I randomly found this thread from the Garage pic's at the top of the site. Just read the whole thread, and I think I am hooked! Great build so far, well done on the updates (irregular as some may be), honestly solid effort to keep doing them!

Will be a very nice looking VL once all is done.

Rollin

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Calais Walky rep, VF SV6 Sportwagon
Such an awesomely epic thread!! BTW, Im in Palmy too.

MoonDo44

Reaction score
Members Ride
1988 VL GTS
Still been working on it slowly. I will have an update soon.

stockies

Bannana
Reaction score
Members Ride
G6E Turbo
Did you finish your idea about the LED tail lights?
I recently did a mates VL with LED trailer lights in place of the factory ones and then put the factory lenses back on. Came out really good. I'm surprised more people haven't done this, the early girls are just begging for LED lights at the back.

Gluing the lenses back on was the hardest part, wanted it to remain watertight - even though the LED units were sealed.

MoonDo44

Reaction score
Members Ride
1988 VL GTS
I randomly found this thread from the Garage pic's at the top of the site. Just read the whole thread, and I think I am hooked! Great build so far, well done on the updates (irregular as some may be), honestly solid effort to keep doing them!

Will be a very nice looking VL once all is done.

Thanks, still a lot of work to do.

Such an awesomely epic thread!! BTW, Im in Palmy too.

Cheers mate.

Did you finish your idea about the LED tail lights?
I recently did a mates VL with LED trailer lights in place of the factory ones and then put the factory lenses back on. Came out really good. I'm surprised more people haven't done this, the early girls are just begging for LED lights at the back.

Gluing the lenses back on was the hardest part, wanted it to remain watertight - even though the LED units were sealed.

Still working on the tail light. Im having more problems getting them apart. For some reason this light has tabs through the backing that hold the lens on. Didn't find them till after taking (and breaking) the lens out

Stripping apart the old wiring harness for reuse.

New rear brake disc's :).

Last edited:

stockies

Bannana
Reaction score
Members Ride
G6E Turbo
Are the tail lights originals?

I used the repro ones from TYC to open up/hack up. Couldn't justify hacking up a mint original set that was one the car. (And we changed them to Calais ones along with the garnish - but put a "Berlina" badge there and coloured it white like the Calais ones.)
The LED's I used were from LED Autolamps - you can get them at Autobarn/Repco.

MoonDo44

Reaction score
Members Ride
1988 VL GTS
Are the tail lights originals?

I used the repro ones from TYC to open up/hack up. Couldn't justify hacking up a mint original set that was one the car. (And we changed them to Calais ones along with the garnish - but put a "Berlina" badge there and coloured it white like the Calais ones.)
The LED's I used were from LED Autolamps - you can get them at Autobarn/Repco.

It was an original but it was cracked and no good to use. Pulling it apart has given me a couple of ideas on what the next step has to be. I have a plan in mind watch this space.

MoonDo44

Reaction score
Members Ride
1988 VL GTS
Hey everybody,
I have been a bit slack in the work I have been doing on the car... which was very little... but I am back into it again and with the list of jobs I have started I cant stop until they are done. I have done quite a lot of the last month or so. So the interrior is now red not the body colour of the out side but some thing close and cheap.

Leaving onlt the roof to finish but I am having some problems getting the old glue off. Anyone got a top tip?

I have also measured up the rear head rest support for transplant. They are currently sitting waiting for me to weld them back on.

The last of the nasty old blue paint is now going and I have been sanding the body ready for paint. I can now say I hate sanding.

I have fitted the gas pedal just because I can. It is not connected to anything yet but soon it will be. But it does mean I can sit in the car and make engine sounds with a gas pedal well drinking beer. In behind the pedal you can see the terminal post for the main power cable. Where it splits to the starter motor and the rest of the car.

And lastly there is enough parts connected to turn the engine over for the first time. Which went well.

But it is still just short of starting. I still need to connect the reverse polarity relay, add spark plugs and leads, and fuel. Once those are done it should start.

MoonDo44

Reaction score
Members Ride
1988 VL GTS
So with little time to work on it at the moment and the body starting to rust. It was off to the panel beaters on Friday. In about a month it should be back.

I have run into a small problem both boot lids I have, thay are rusted and at this point I am looking for another one. So.... if anyone out there has a space boot lid I am in the market for one. Please connect me if you have one that I could buy off you.

Vince Warne

Reaction score
Members Ride
H.b.d vy ute.commodore
The electric box looks like an imobaliser aftermarket