Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

MY VN does twins when i do burn outs ??

VN Commy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN 5 spd/VR Calais daily driver
if its lsd only worry if its spinning 1 wheel all the time

If its LSD don't even worry if it starts single spinning, it's just worn the clutches and needs to be shimmed up (or a couple of new cones if they're really bad).

savage1987

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
LS1 VN + WK Grange 0010 + HPW VX SS
Umm . . . if we can step away from the burnouts side of things, what are the benefits of an LSD? There's a little part of me that has to justify everything I do to my car in a way that would sound logical to a normal everyday (non-burnout-doing) person. What PRACTICAL benefits are there that I can't think of??

The reason I ask is that from the backlash I'm getting right now I'm guessing that my diff too is on the way out, and I'm going to replace it with a LSD.

Cheers
Sam

xcop5l

4th year spanner spinner
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN ex cop 5L
its all about traction
eg if you take off with one wheel in the gravel it will compinsate this and put the power to the other wheel

pandaman

Aussie Muscle Fan
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Berlina 5.0 A4
from what i understand most of the v8s came out with lsd. but dont quote me on that.
lsd's do the opposit to silgle spiners when they start to go. they only single wheel.
but if you have only gone 2 major burnouts since youve had it(geussing youve had it for a while) the diff should be fine.

TO ALL: only start to worry about your diff if it starts to make noise. or if its single- starts to spin both wheels
if its lsd only worry if its spinning 1 wheel all the time

Well I will quote you, but only to say you're almost right, a lot of V8's came with LSD, but those that didn't got what I have, a "high performance" tagged single spinner with shot peened gears. I know my diff is fine, no noise and only a tiny bit of driveline backlash every now and then.

pandaman

Aussie Muscle Fan
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Berlina 5.0 A4
its all about traction
eg if you take off with one wheel in the gravel it will compinsate this and put the power to the other wheel

Yeah what he said, an LSD applies an equal amount of torque to each drive wheel. = better traction = better acceleration = bigger smile.

VNCalais98K

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Calais no more
LSD or Limited Slip Differential.
In a non LSD vehicle, under acceleration the power will go through the diff to whatever has the least resistance which under normal driving is both wheels.
In poor conditions, or gravel or say if you break traction (ie burnout) then the wheel that has the least traction has the least resistance, so the power will go through the diff to that wheel.
With an LSD it will vary or even lock all together the difference in rotation of the 2 wheels, so on take off if you have less traction in 1 wheel then the majority of power will still be going through to the other wheel.
This is good for take offs, but you may notice instead of you wheels spinning, you might find your car pulling in a different direction than usual.
Depending on the LSD you have chosen, you may also find it corners differently as you are changing the rotational design of the car (1 wheel usually spins faster than the other when you corner) and in a worst case scenario this can result in a car hopping around a corner.
Thats why LSDs come in many different types depending on your requirements.

Trennaa

Reaction score
Members Ride
Qwerty
mine spins both on a factory single pegger.. oh wait.. normal driving.. NOT dirt/wet?? my bad!

VNCalais98K

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Calais no more
Haha.. the funny bit on my car is that the wheel that spins all the time is the one with tread... dont know whats going on there...Oh well, after tonight it will have 8.5inch wide tyres, so i doubt it will be spinning anything.