Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

My VN Retirement

SpaceYam

somewhat awesome
Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 Ford Focus ST
Well guys, Tuesday has marked a new era! On Monday I discovered I was in a financial position to not only pay off my current debts within a couple of months, but also to finance a VX2 executive station wagon :D.

So yeah... My time of owning a VN has come to an end! It did come as quite a surprise that I would own a 4 year old car at the age of 22, but I'm not complaining!

Anyway, what I'm going to be doing is finishing off painting the front doors black, the handles red and sewing - by hand - red cloth onto the inserts (I can't remove the inserts). I've already done the back doors but I need to redo the passenger side back door and I need to do the handle for the drivers side back door. Plus I need to find a way to lengthen the connecting bit of the winder handles as I'm putting a layer of industrial carpet underlay behind the door trims to deaden sound a bit and as such the winder handles either don't go on or they actually pop off under the pressure!

So when that work is done I'm going to sell the car - shouldn't take more than a month.

What the dilemma is, is that the car is not going to pass a roadworthy check in December without having the steering rack replaced (it's more expensive to replace the individual parts which need replacing), and the rear trailing arms have play, I can't remember the exact details. Plus there's rust which needs attention.

It's a Series 1 (late '89) model Executive - a Manual, V6. There'll be no stereo with it because I don't have one to put in and I would assume a potential buyer would be more interested in doing the car up - nobody buys a car that old to get comfort off the shelf!! It's lowered 2.5 at the back and 2 at the front (to my knowledge), the interior (bar the seats and the edge trim kick panel at the doors, and the parcel shalf) is schemed in red and black - mostly black. I have a custom made short shifter (just the shaft, nothing changed inside the gearbox), red and black Autotechnica steering wheel, Level 2 dash, I spray painted the roof lining black with about 5 cans of cheap black spraypaint - looks scabby except when you're paying attention to the road :).

I have VS seats in there - provided by S-Pack Sam (a user on here). Brake rotors are new all round (I think) - less than 2 years old and have about 30% wear on the brake pads.

Anyway, To my knowledge there's probably about $1500 of work that needs to be done - repairs to rust, replacing the front steering rack and fixing up the rear suspension - bushes and stuff, not sure exactly. The engine has done about 323,000kms (at a guess, the odometer was tampered with and I did some calculations to work out exactly how many) but still runs like a champ.

It also has a CAI which I only put on 2 months ago and a 2.5" Redback exhaust which has been on for 2 years.

What sort of price would I be likely to get for it with 4 months rego left on it? I'm thinking about $1500 considering the repairs that need to be done - flog it off to some young hoon with a bit of cash or a bank loan. An extra $500 will get some 16"x7" VR GTS wheels with unroadworthy tyres - thanks to those lovely suspension problems :).

So does that sound alright? Anyone wanna buy it off me? :p

Or should I simply sell the parts individually?

Soybean

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR V6 5-speed
is it lowered legally? if so will the components fit a VR?, will the CAI fit a VR?, will the short shifter fit my VR manual? if they any of them do, post and tell me i might just be interested.

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
Dunno my Lexcen sounds like it is in heaps better nick that that and no one wanted it for $1500 when it had rego so it really not worth selling

SpaceYam

somewhat awesome
Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 Ford Focus ST
Greenfoam - that's the line of thought I was thinking, I myself certainly wouldn't want to spend $1500 on a car, then $1500 on repairs and then finally another $1000 on rego just to get it on the road! I've had a couple of people suggest that I resell it but I always had my doubts! I think I would find it easier to take it to bits and sell the parts, now all I gotta do is learn how to take it to bits :D. Should be fun!

SpaceYam

somewhat awesome
Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 Ford Focus ST
Soybean said:
is it lowered legally? if so will the components fit a VR?, will the CAI fit a VR?, will the short shifter fit my VR manual? if they any of them do, post and tell me i might just be interested.

As far as I know it is lowered legally - the springs aren't chopped. The shocks at the front are Monroe GTs, I think they've done about 20,000kms. Dunno about the shocks at the back. The CAI is from the VS supercharged V6, I imagine it would fit a VR V6 (not V8). The short shifter we based on how the gearstick lever in the VN connects - it uses two bolts in line vertically, I did have photos on a topic in here at one stage I may have to try and dig it up to show you. The lever is a little noisy because it's not muffled by a rubber handle, but meh! I am pretty sure that the gearbox is the same in the VN and VR and I imagine the lever linkage would be the same.

I should mention the springs in the rear have been 'trimmed' to flatten out the ride height, ie. a small amount was cut from the base part of each spring - enough to make the back half an inch lower than it was.

azkwazere

Ahhh Yes, Ahhh Yes....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP 5-SPD / 24-SPD Racer Hybrid
Well........

Im interested in:
**Seats (Front VS)
**Springs....if leagally Lowered + Shocks
**Exhaust

Thats if you wanna sell it off in bits, i would reccomend that as im sure your not gonn aget much for it. You could ask $1000.... just For those who dont have alot... but anywhere close to 300,000 is scary + its only a series I and its got rust. No SMART dad would let there kiddie buy it. However, there are some useful parts im sure you can flog off.

Good Luck! and yes those parts im interested in...

aZk.

SpaceYam

somewhat awesome
Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 Ford Focus ST
Well I've passed two rego checks at my current ride height, never had any trouble with the police (been through several RBTs where they'd taken a good look and said nothing).

How's $80 for all 4 springs, $120 for the two front seats, $150 for the exhaust (Exhaust was $270 new, plus the $90 stainless tip which is only three months old)

It also depends where you're located as well...

SpaceYam

somewhat awesome
Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 Ford Focus ST
Due to a change of circumstances, I won't be offering parts for sale at this point in time - Apologies, Soybean and Azkwazere