Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

My VN V6 Berlina. (First Car)

Bunneh

The Skid Boat
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Berlina
Well, yeah. I am getting my learners this year (I'm in melbourne, No turbo's :mad:) and i got handed down this VN Berlina with a V6 Swap. It has around 250,000km's on it and is pretty clean (imo). It has some mods such as a 2.5" exhaust, suspension and springs, steering wheel, amp... and that's about it so far. I do love the clean look! no rice for me.

It has had a new front windscreen in, new taillights and it might need a service because i got handed down a oil filter aswell.
Anyway to the point..

Does anybody know any cheap, or even free things to do with VN's? I have heard alot of bad things about these car's and i'm just wondering if there's anything that can make it seem better haha. considering its my first car what are some good things to do? does it need something or should i add something? the only thing i have done is add in some interior mats, clean it all out (expect for the human slime on the driver seat). I also heard pod filters reduce power, Is that true? cause my friend keeps saying they are better but alot of threads say they are bad and either a k&n filter or a CAI is good.

About the K&N air filter, how much better is it than the stock one? cause they seem easy to replace and a reasonably cheap mod.

I have also debadged the car after these photo's! they were old and unreadable. Ruined the clean look of the car

Here's some pictures of the car.
16i4ba.jpg
142ddtw.jpg

2utg64y.jpg
fv49k.jpg

zw13k2.jpg
e5hf74.jpg

Cheers :) -Bunneh

Last edited:

backjansz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
car looks really clean man! Have you thought of getting some new wheels?

ncass11

Reaction score
Members Ride
'81 Diesel Hilux / '75 Landrover series 3
leave it as is, looks fine, there is no point in doing mods to it beside attracting cops especially when you get your p's , keep it clean and simple, the less attention the better

when ever i see a modified vn with a p plate, i immediately think "wanker"

Bunneh

The Skid Boat
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Berlina
car looks really clean man! Have you thought of getting some new wheels?

Thanks :)! I have put none come to mind, I'm not much of a fan of all the big wheels people put on cars either. I do love the steelies look so i might just keep them considering i have spare tires i need to put on for rego. Thanks for the reply!

Bunneh

The Skid Boat
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Berlina
leave it as is, looks fine, there is no point in doing mods to it beside attracting cops especially when you get your p's , keep it clean and simple, the less attention the better

when ever i see a modified vn with a p plate, i immediately think "wanker"

Hahaha, So true though. Everytime i see a P Plate on some type of holden its always gotta be someone who has a monster tacho or huge wheels. Less attention the better true
I been leaving it as it is really, Just abit of tidying up and cleaning it to make it look new and clean as i can. I have to wait 6 months to drive it aswell :/

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Do yourself a big favour and make sure the brakes and suspension are as good as they can be. The VN was seriously under-braked and the suspension will be pretty loose and sloppy with 250k on it. Too many new drivers get in these things and want to make them look and go better, without paying attention to the less glamorous things that really make it a better and safer car.

Bunneh

The Skid Boat
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Berlina
Do yourself a big favour and make sure the brakes and suspension are as good as they can be. The VN was seriously under-braked and the suspension will be pretty loose and sloppy with 250k on it. Too many new drivers get in these things and want to make them look and go better, without paying attention to the less glamorous things that really make it a better and safer car.

thanks for the advice :) the person who handed me down the car has put suspension but i'm not to sure about brakes. when me and my mate were in it cleaning he shook the whole car and it kept going for a few seconds. It felt pretty normal for a VN though nothing to big and crazy. Ill have to see how it feels when i first get on the road, It previously had a V8 around 180,000km's and then the v6 got put in with the 250,000 already on it, So it shouldn't be to terrible :)

stockies

Bannana
Reaction score
Members Ride
G6E Turbo
Check out UPC (Ultra Performance Components) in Bayswater. They do very nice brake upgrade kits for the VN. Fairly cheap too. They have a few auctions on Ebay every now and again. Can score a bargain.
Does yours still have the original 1" master cylinder being a V8 in its past life?

Oh, and paint the grille white.

Bunneh

The Skid Boat
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Berlina
Check out UPC (Ultra Performance Components) in Bayswater. They do very nice brake upgrade kits for the VN. Fairly cheap too. They have a few auctions on Ebay every now and again. Can score a bargain.
Does yours still have the original 1" master cylinder being a V8 in its past life?

Oh, and paint the grille white.

I'm not to sure ill have to ask. But it might not cause the engine was swapped into another car completely.
Haha yeah my friend said to paint the grille white, i was thinking about it! not sure what it would look like though :( any references ? like on google images with the same black trim around the car.