Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

My VP Executive - 1 previous owner :)

Chris69

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive Commodore 3.8 Buick V6
Just picked up this 92 VP with the buick V6 engine.
199kms but the odo has stopped, guy who owned it said maybe 50 thousand more.
One owner from new, all the original books and full service history.
Bit of clear coat peeling on boot, and back and front bumper could do with a respray, other than that shes straight and in amazing condition for an old girl.
Bought it to learn abit about engines, and as a second car to take the dog out in.

Immaculate interior and dash.
Plan on taking off the throttle body intake this weekend and cleaning out all the gunk, and removing restrictor plate (i think they have one) and possibly thinking of one of these memcal ebay chips just to give it abit more responsiveness but not too sure. Had $$$$$$ spent on it to keep it in good running order and very happy with it as a cheap runaround.

Gets abit of a flat spot when its cold and you try and rev it too much, but had all new plugs and leads recently so going to give it a service and a look over on the weekend.

Wouldnt mind a touch more torque off the line, but im super happy with it

Attachments

• 20170731_155227_resized_1.jpg
    20170731_155227_resized_1.jpg
    386.5 KB · Views: 417

Chris69

Reaction score
Members Ride
Oh and she has awesome venetians :-D Tripples the value and coolness factor lol

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Odometer is $20 cog replacement

While you're at it may as well re-solder 3 pins of voltage regulator in dash cluster.

Memcal for vp were said to be really lazy..hit one of the peeps on pcmhacking forum for a tune

Also check fault codes as will usually tell the obvious issue.

Chris69

Reaction score
Members Ride
Had a great time on the weekend. Car just died randomly with a puddle of coolant under it.
Heater return hose was heavily coroded and had split, so blocked both ends, then she still wouldnt start. Towed to my friends who has a burnout buick v6 wagon and knows his way around them.
Turns out there was an old snapped off belt wrapped around harmonic balancer, which has tore away at the crank angle sensor. The middle tooth was shattered. So we replaced that and she fired up fine.

Replaced throttle body with 5L one, and removed restrictor while we were there, then slapped on a pod filter. After some tweaking with the kick down cable we got it running perfectly.
Has noticeable torque increase after 40km/h and goes hard off the line (for what it is).
Ive got a working dash off him too with tachnometer so going to attempt to fit that up on day off tomorrow. Replaced about 3 or 4 other smaller hoses which looked abit worn also.

When i say "we" did all this, He did it all and i handed him stuff! so i felt like i was helping lol. Learnt alot though. Will see how the new tacho install goes tomorrow, maybe get one of the resonators off.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Lucky find with rev tacho dash...want one for my ute,hard to find these days.

Pod is not much chop sucking hot air unless boxed in like mace item.

Chris69

Reaction score
Members Ride
yeah my mate has a shed stacked full of handy **** for the buicks/early commodores.
Pod sounds good, but hes got a long bent pipe i might use to try and get it into a box behind the headlight to get cold air, currently sitting next to the hot engine cant be any good, or might just go back to normal filter. But the restrictor and bigger throttle body made noticeable difference across the rev range.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Yeah keep long plastic inlet then add pipe for pod to go behind headlight then box it in so it only sucks cooler air from gaps near radiator/headligh/blinkers.

Used to hate these moo-mang things & yet now got one after most have vanished off the roads.