Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

My VP SS - Fault List

TOOBAD

Reaction score
Members Ride
1992 VP SS Commodore
Just got a VP SS. It has it share of faults so I'm going to list them here and fix them one by one - I might add more when I discover them :)

Driver's side sunvisor clip (broken)

Rear driver's side electric window (Not going up or down)

Air conditioner components missing (under bonnet - cylinder thing)

Brakes (Needs new rotors and pads)

Wheels (Need alligning and balancing)
(Centre caps missing - Starcorp)

Headlining (Needs replacing due to sagging)

Wiper squirters (Not working)

Paint (Respray and dent removal)

Bonnet (Latch not popping)

Brake lights (When parkers are on and brakes pressed left parker and left brake light do not work - fine without parkers)

Handbrake cover (Ripped - needs replacing)

Odometer (Not moving)

Dash lights (Hazard, Demister etc side - no back light)

Rear Demister (Not working)

Door Locks (When key turned to unlock they go up and down about 5 times then finally re lock)

Horn (not working - Momo steering wheel)

Power mirrors (not working)

Interior Light (Not working)

Major Service - Oils, Coolant, Filters, Spark Plugs, Leads.
-----------------------------

So far that's all! Ha!

So onto fixing it -

The brakes will probably be the first thing (Major cash wise) - I'm going to pop into Supercheap and see if I can find the DBA Slotted rotors I've heard mentioned on here for about $100 each and see if I can get 4 - then it's pad time - Suggestions on that? Haven't looked too into that yet.

I have to buy a handbook so I can pull the car apart - and then be able to put it back together again hehe - so will do that ASAP to get into fixing the bits and pieces.

Then I'll get all the items for the major service and have some fun doing that.

Pictures are worth a thousand words - so I'll post some up when the weather gets better.

Last edited:

pow3rslave

DoNothing Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP 5.0L
good luck mate, a lot of that stuff has howtos on this and the other site.
let me know how you go with centrecaps for your starcorps. i've got all of mine, but paranoid of what i'd do if i lost one.

TOOBAD

Reaction score
Members Ride
1992 VP SS Commodore
Thanks pow3rslave, will be checking that out and buying one of those Gregory Manuals. The caps I'll see if the wheels dealer down the road who usually helps me out. I don't think they'd be too big a hassle to get, though I could be wrong =P

Changed the Oil and Filter today - and degreased the engine bay. Couldn't get everything - I think I'd really need to pull out the motor for a top job - maybe one day lol.

New additions to the Fault list include -

Radiator Cap (Leaks - needs replacing)

Back Muffler (Non existant haha) I wondered why it was so loud lol - funny thing is the chrome tip is sitting where it should be, just not attached to anything in particular hahaha.

Next thing I'm doing is flushing the radiator as there was no coolant in the tank when I looked today - it's because when it heats up the radiator cap leaks it out!

Hardstylin

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais
Sounds like my VP when I first brought it, although the list was a lot longer, I basically replaced every part with original parts and fixed everything that wasn't working, with a lot of help from the great people on this site.

Goodluck mate, hope you have as much fun as I did.

Pub247

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ford Fairmont
Not a bad list mate most of it minor things and should be easy to fix yourself

levymetal

TURN MY HEADPHONES UP
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV ENHANCED VP CALAIS
how much did you pay for it?

don't worry about fixing the aircon (really, there's like 5 days in a year when you actually need it), if you still have the compressor remove that and the bracket too. fixing it would by far be the most costly item on your list (i've heard of it getting to $2000 for a full overhaul of the entire system, which you will need). it's just making you go slower anyway ;)

TOOBAD

Reaction score
Members Ride
1992 VP SS Commodore
Hardstylin - Yeah it's not that bad - I've been enjoying seeing the improvements.

I just got the brake lights working with help from a friend. I took it round his place for him to take for a spin and we sussed out the problem being just a loose wire that needed to be touching the metal but wasn't. That one was easy to fix ;)

Bought a new radiator cap and replaced that - I've got new coolant and plan on flushing the system tomorrow with my old man - when I went to get a thermostat gasket they didn't have on for my car. The guy told me I could use this silicone stuff instead but it was almost 20 bucks. I found the gasket paper that you can cut out to make your own so bought that for 8 instead and will use that - could come in handy in other areas later on.

levymetal - The guy wanted 5900 but I got him down to 4800 so not too bad.

You're probably right about the aircon - I might just piss it off all together if it's gonna set me back that amount - I don't really care if I don't have it - just really wanted to get everything working.

Just realised no cruise control either -

Looking in the Ellery manual I just bought for basic instructions on things but it's a bit hard to make sense of at times - lacking diagrams. I'll figure it out I'm guessing ;)

Saw some blokes who are friends of friends who work for Bob Jane and they said the front center caps will keep popping off if I replace them - the back are still there - they said to put dome ones not flat ones and that should solve the issue so will do that when I get around to that point.

levymetal

TURN MY HEADPHONES UP
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV ENHANCED VP CALAIS
that's a pretty good drop in price :). i heard ellery's was bad, i don't even have a manual yet but i plan on getting haynes.

to fix the bonnet - tie a knot in the bonnet cable just in front of the latch. works a treat! if you can't get the bonnet open, pull the lever while having someone wiggle the bonnet around and it'll pop.

TOOBAD

Reaction score
Members Ride
1992 VP SS Commodore
ELLERY'S IS **** LOL - Well for the small issues I wanted to use it for anyway.

Couldn't find any real specific info on things like Central Locking - Windows - Cruise Control - Etc - Mainly Mechanical like rebuilding the engine etc.

Will consult it tonight though for my Fuel Pump as it has just **** itself tonight and I had to get a tow LOL.

Gonna source one tomorrow and have a look and see what's involved in replacing it - I'm not really mechanical and want to learn but don't know how I'll go LOL.