Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

My VR Spac ute

UteBeautVR

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR ute
Hey fellas, just picked up my first commodore and first project.. it's a 1994 VR spac ute with a 96 Ecotech. photos are from when I first got it, I'll upload more as I go

Attachments

• DSCN0289.jpg
    DSCN0289.jpg
    251.6 KB · Views: 279
  • DSCN0290.jpg
    DSCN0290.jpg
    257.3 KB · Views: 290
  • DSCN0294.jpg
    DSCN0294.jpg
    321.3 KB · Views: 278
  • DSCN0295.jpg
    DSCN0295.jpg
    313.5 KB · Views: 326
  • DSCN0296.jpg
    DSCN0296.jpg
    315.3 KB · Views: 295
  • DSCN0297.jpg
    DSCN0297.jpg
    261.1 KB · Views: 282

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Look forward to the updates. I have series II VR ute, I think, May 94 build. I have been doing mine up over the last 12 months. Starting to get to the stage where I will be happy with it. I've been fixing up the interior in mine. I go to the wreckers 2 sometimes 3 days in a week to pull interior parts to fix up what was a pretty shabby inside.
Photos say a 1000 words so keep them coming.

UteBeautVR

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR ute
I'll have to check your thread out, if you have one going. I'm always eager to see VR/VS ute projects and tbh I haven't been able to find many that are more than 1 or 2 photos and no information on whats been done. Haha I'd be at the wreckers all the time if I had my license.. 6 more months :confused:. I scan Gumtree morning and night for new posts and possible parts! it's so addictive.

Quick update; Friday I pulled it out and gave the engine bay and underbody a good degrease. Photos say it all, came up really nice and clean and afterward I used my plastic, rubber and vinyl protection oil to prevent any/further brittling. I used a spray bottle degreaser for most of the work, which is safer than a aerosol degreaser as it won't get get forced into unwanted spot like electrics. But for the under body I used aerosol to get it up into all the grimy hidy holes.

WARNING NOTICE! Make sure you use eye protection AND if you're doing the underbody earplugs too. Due to my inexperience and lack of knowledge I got degreaser in my ear which caused SEVERE chemical burn and I had to go to the hospital to get it properly flushed and given antibiotic ear drops. PLEASE PLEASE be safe and use appropriate protection when using chemicals and working on your car. This includes gloves for most parts!

I've been quite busy recently with work and I'll most likely be starting out on the trawlers soon so if I don't post for awhile it'll be due to being out at sea but I will keep posting when I can. But with that comes plenty of money to spend on it. For now I've had to put a halt on spending too much. This week I'll be overhauling all the filters, doing an engine and radiator flush, replacing all fluids and taking the nudge bar off and giving it a solid buffing. In the upcoming weeks I also have to replace the battery, buy some hose clips, replace 1 air con vent guard, 1 sun visor clip, the interior light case and the review mirror (either brittling, broken or crack so it's gotta go!). I'll make sure I keep my GoPro handy to keep the photos coming!

Attachments

• DSCN0309.jpg
    DSCN0309.jpg
    727.8 KB · Views: 299
  • DSCN0310.jpg
    DSCN0310.jpg
    644.6 KB · Views: 284
  • DSCN0311.jpg
    DSCN0311.jpg
    671.6 KB · Views: 305
  • DSCN0317.jpg
    DSCN0317.jpg
    828.7 KB · Views: 313
  • DSCN0321.jpg
    DSCN0321.jpg
    328.7 KB · Views: 274

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
What's that bottle near the rad? Is that where the PS fluid resi sits on an Eco?

UteBeautVR

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR ute
Been on a holiday up north for the past few weeks. I took it in to the mechanics yesterday and had it checked over for a roadworthy. Besides what I already knew it needed there wasn't really much else. Front and rear brake pads, rear lower shocker rubbers, rear upper control arm bushes, rear gearbox seal, a new dash cluster and there's rust on the right side sill about 3cms long that I've decided to get professional done. There's a few other things but they are minor like putting a radio in to fill the hole in the dash, handbrake cable adjustment and a new clip to secure the dash facier.

All in all it gives me a bit of work to do for now. I still haven't dropped the fluids, flushed and replaced filters but I wanted to double check that the engine was sound before throwing away money on it. On the odd occasion it was idling rough ( It'd slowly climb from a steady 1k to 2k and sit at 2k ) so my guess is it's either a vacuum problem or my sensors are playing up. I also found whilst driving it to the mechanic I would sit at the speed I was doing without having the foot on the throttle ( like having cruise control on without it being on.. ).

So for the next few weeks I'll (Finally) be doing all the stuff I can easily do at home like buying a new battery, replacing all fluids and filters including the diffs. I'll be replacing a few clips and hose clamps. Plus the few things I need to get done to the interior. Then after that I'll be getting the rust cut/welded and primed ready for a respray. I've decided I'll be doing my first paint job with the help of my father in the upcoming months. As usual the photos will keep rolling as will the updates :D

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
Plenty to keep you busy for a while.

UteBeautVR

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR ute
Busy start to the week, I managed to get a trip down the coast to Brisbane yesterday to check out some wreckers and a few backyard sellers. Well did I hit the jackpot! I Managed to get 90% of what I was after all from one bloke and to top it off it was so cheap! I brought a SS big mouth intake, new dash surround, air vent housing, quarter window surround, review mirror and visor clips all for $110. I've also got a gloss fiber glass hardlid on its way up from Toowoomba and a cluster with 11k on it ;).

I got bored Monday and took off the ladder rack supports, side panels and the floor panel above the fuel tank. I hadn't gotten into the tank area before and was surprised to see how grimy it was so I got into it was a brush and vacuum. I noticed there was a few grommets missing that I'll have to buy at some point.

Today was all about installing all the new parts.. well I ran into a few minor problems which required me to go in town and get some more parts but otherwise it was a very productive day. I installed the new dash surround ( I only replaced the last because of the usual few broken support clips which made it hang out a bit ). The new one was immaculate and I'll install it once I get the new cluster so I don't break any clips getting it back off. The SS air intake took a bit of stuffing around to make it fit. The transmission oil return hose was right in the way so I had to go in town and buy some new hosing and snake it around the new air intake and I also had to silicone around where the intake connects to the air box as it was a bit of a home job cut out. I also brought some new screws for the interior doors, air vents and quarter window surround as there were a few missing. Everything else was simple screw and fit.

I also installed a new battery because the last one was stuff only to find out it the alternator isn't charging so I'll have to get a new one soon :rolleyes:.. I'm still waiting for my service kit to come in the mail too.

Took a few photos as I went and a few after I washed it because why not :).

Attachments

• DSCN0335.jpg
    DSCN0335.jpg
    664.6 KB · Views: 226
  • DSCN0338.jpg
    DSCN0338.jpg
    654.5 KB · Views: 270
  • DSCN0343.jpg
    DSCN0343.jpg
    776.4 KB · Views: 271
  • DSCN0345.jpg
    DSCN0345.jpg
    454.5 KB · Views: 251
  • DSCN0346.jpg
    DSCN0346.jpg
    392.8 KB · Views: 259
  • DSCN0348.jpg
    DSCN0348.jpg
    610 KB · Views: 229
  • DSCN0349.jpg
    DSCN0349.jpg
    670.5 KB · Views: 234
  • DSCN0356.jpg
    DSCN0356.jpg
    561 KB · Views: 266
  • DSCN0354.jpg
    DSCN0354.jpg
    583.9 KB · Views: 275
  • DSCN0357.jpg
    DSCN0357.jpg
    686.7 KB · Views: 276

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Sometimes its better to leave a bung or two out. The water from the tub can lay in the tank area otherwise and rust out tje tank. Better to just wash out any dirt every 6 to 12 months.

UteBeautVR

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR ute
Good point. Might even be why they aren't there in the first place.