Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

My VR V6 cuts out while driving

davealpin80

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Exec auto
my VR started doing this about a month ago , it only cut out now and then. A mate from work said it could be the fuel pump and said to give the tank a kick or two and then try to start it, this worked, so i put up with it for a while. Had some time over the long weekend so i changed the fuel pump (f--king prick of a job) and changed the filter. It seemed to have worked as it was fine for 3 days but today it cut out again, i tryed starting it a few times, no go so i got out gave the tank a kick and it started??? any help would be much appreciated.

Harvs82

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY08 Subaru Liberty GT-B & MY16 VF II SS Redline
my VR started doing this about a month ago , it only cut out now and then. A mate from work said it could be the fuel pump and said to give the tank a kick or two and then try to start it, this worked, so i put up with it for a while. Had some time over the long weekend so i changed the fuel pump (f--king prick of a job) and changed the filter. It seemed to have worked as it was fine for 3 days but today it cut out again, i tryed starting it a few times, no go so i got out gave the tank a kick and it started??? any help would be much appreciated.

Could be a crank angle sensor or fuel pump. Do a search on here for the how to check your error codes. How many k's has your car done?

A+d+a+m

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx Series II R8 Clubsport Build 295
Crank angle sensor or your trans needs adjusting..
does it lose power just before the motor cuts out?

davealpin80

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Exec auto
no it doesnt lose power it just stops and the check engine light comes on, today when it happened i pulled over and tryed starting it , it kicks over but didnt start as it usually does, so i turned it off and just turned the key to on and i couldnt hear the fuel pump? turned it off again waited about 30 secs and it started, and was fine for the rest of the way home, about 15 km

Razedaze

Razedaze
Reaction score
Website
www.razedaze.co.nz
Members Ride
VS Berlina
I had the same symptoms from my vs. Turned out that the thermostat was not opening properly and overheating the motor. I replaced the thermostat and have had no problems since. (just a thought)

botchla90393

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT wags
i had the same problem with my VR.
Took it to an auto elec, he put the scan tool on it and the crank angle sensor code came up. Replaced the crank angle sensor and found out that a non genuine one had been put on it recently...replaced it with a new genuine holden CAS and same problem still occurred.

Then replaced the fuel pump, filter, and DFI module + coils. Still same problem occurred. Even tried changing the key, but nothing. Since then just gave up on the car and sold it. Hope this helps though.

davealpin80

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Exec auto
one of the mechanics at work used to work a holden and he thinks it isnt the CAS because it starts up straight away sometimes or in couple of minutes after it cuts out. he said i could be the oil pressure sensor or maybe the fuel regulater. anyone heard of this

holden-4-life

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Equipe II
i had the same problem with my VR.
Took it to an auto elec, he put the scan tool on it and the crank angle sensor code came up. Replaced the crank angle sensor and found out that a non genuine one had been put on it recently...replaced it with a new genuine holden CAS and same problem still occurred.

Then replaced the fuel pump, filter, and DFI module + coils. Still same problem occurred. Even tried changing the key, but nothing. Since then just gave up on the car and sold it. Hope this helps though.

duuuuudeeeee dont say that man.
mines doing it.
just changed the crank angle sensor, i also didnt have a genuine one. hasnt done it yet but i dont really wonna sell my car damit.

holden-4-life

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Equipe II
one of the mechanics at work used to work a holden and he thinks it isnt the CAS because it starts up straight away sometimes or in couple of minutes after it cuts out. he said i could be the oil pressure sensor or maybe the fuel regulater. anyone heard of this

ive heard it could be the fuel reg.
also it was happenin to my tyre dealer and this is the list he gave me

infrared timing striker
memcal
motor idle air
oil sender unit + clip

so if mine does it again im changin the timing striker

L200convert

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR
ive done a conversion with a vr 3.8 n it cuts ou at 40 any1 could help it would b appreciated