Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

My VR wants to be lowered..But how much is good enough?

Discussion in 'V6 Development And Modification' started by Piston3800, Aug 2, 2006.

1. Piston3800

Piston3800 Guest

My VR is total stock and is in some seroius need of customising. I have just had it totally resprayed and it looks a treat, and it now is ready to drop a few inches.. But how many?, where?, what setup? if anyone can give me a heads up on where to start it would be great. I have holden internationals ready to be put on! Just need her lowered.. I live in melb metro

2. 1991_Vn2nV

1991_Vn2nV New Member

Members Ride:
    91 VN Berlina & 03 VY Berlina
    Do you want to keep it legal or you dont care?

King Springs Ultralows are probably the go, and if you want lower get em compressed a bit further...

3. joesvs

joesvs New Member

Members Ride:
    97 VS Wagon
    depends on how much you want to spend!!! i'm looking at getting my car lowered at the moment. google kings or lovells and get the 06 catalogue. pic the springs you want, then take the part numbers to an automotive parts supplier (or if you know someone) get them trade price and do it yourself. Dpends on how low and how serious you want to go! the cash you save doing it yourself and getting them trade price put towrds panhard bar, strut brace or new sway bar links. you may also have to check with your insurance company if you lower you car. when i was calling around to get insurance, some were very tight on what mods you can do. well thats in perth anyway. hope it helps.

4. 1991_Vn2nV

1991_Vn2nV New Member

Members Ride:
    To do the front you're gonna need the right tools... Better to get it done professionally for the front. Also you have to have shorter shocks for the rear as well.

5. Piston3800

Piston3800 Guest

Thanks for your help, boys. This commodore community is great! Im happy to spend up to 2 grand. But ofcourse the more money i can save the better. I was thinking about 1.5 to 2 inches which is superlows. Have an exec so, i have abit more clearance to play with. Anymore than 2 inches and i would have a hard time getting in my bastard of a driveway.

6. 1991_Vn2nV

1991_Vn2nV New Member

Members Ride:
    $600 should cover it man for King Springs Superlows.

But i'd spend the extra $70 or so and grab the Lovells Superlows, better handling. And perhaps get the shortened shocks for the front as well.

7. joesvs

joesvs New Member

Members Ride:
    97 VS Wagon
    Just booked mine in to be done. lovells superlow and KYB shocks and struts. they qouted me $660 for the bits and all up i was priced $900 for everything and fitted. i thought if i get it for $660 by the time i get a spring compressor and then a wheel alignment aswell as the the hassle of half a day to do it, why bother when i can get a professional job and warranty. drive in drive away with piece of mind. was told to expect it 40mm lower and an improved ride. they said that lows would not drop it too much as the suspension is 10 years old it's fairly flogged out anyway. so i thought i might aswell pay that bit extra and be happy with it. will post some before and after pics as i'm getting it done next tuesday at WA suspensions. they weren't the cheapest but were very helpful and professional.

8. 1991_Vn2nV

1991_Vn2nV New Member

Members Ride:
    Very nice. Im sure you wont look back man :)

9. joesvs

joesvs New Member

Members Ride:
    97 VS Wagon
    as long as it sticks like **** and goes hard. i'll be happy:driving:yeah:

10. Piston3800

Piston3800 Guest

sounds like a good setup.. i would be happy with that. Please post the pics when you get em' If any one knows of a good place in melb i would be happy to pay them a visit. 40 mm is about what im looking for..i think. Was thinking lovells superlows myself.

11. VEARGH

VEARGH "Stop,Drop..KaboOm.*

Members Ride:
    v_R
    Dobinson Superlows, i have them on mine . Cost $250 off ebay and fitted myself. look and handle a treat.

12. 1991_Vn2nV

1991_Vn2nV New Member

Members Ride:
    Dobinson are good for leaf springs... Not so sure about their coil springs though, would stick to King Springs or Lovells imo

13. kylewalker

kylewalker Guest

well i wen tthe lowest spring king spring make for my vr and it is a pain i cant ge in my drive way and have trouble over speed humos just on my own let alone when i have a full car.. and ive only got 15s and the in the wheel arch so its all up to u.. but it handles really really good

14. Piston3800

Piston3800 Guest

hmm, interesting. I have heard a few of these stories and i am leaning towards lovells sports low. Just means a few less headaches, i think. Soft i Know. But just gets rid of alot of issues..my driveway is a sharp one
    cheers mate

15. PaRaDoX

PaRaDoX Because Racecouch...

Members Ride:
    none
    how low is too low??? YOU CAN NEVER BE TOO LOW... unless you can say you;'ve crashed into the ground more than once...

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/7/web/823000-823999/823713_40_full.jpg

gigidy....

superlow fronts
    ultra low rears

full petrol tank, full Lpg tank, custom woofer enclosure... 5 people in the car
    and 4 slabs in the car.......

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/7/web/823000-823999/823713_46_full.jpg
    normal no one in the car, no lpg tank even in the car at that stage no petrol... no slabs no subby

and see the attached pic for her now...

Last edited: Oct 14, 2006