Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

My VR''s got a gremlin could it be the computer???

tittezzzvr

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT v6 Berlina & 5LT VP International
My vr v6 auto has chucked another hissyfit
I drove to the shops 5 mins away & when I went to start it she just said no
The battery is fine the starter is clicking like mad but Im not sure if its trowing out properly.
Ive shorted it with a screwdriver & it seems to trow out ok but I cant short it to start due to lack of room
Could it be the computer ???
Thanks in advance & if I can find anymore info I will let you know

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Start by checking for any ECU error codes.Heres a link to a page that shows you how to do this simple test.
---https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/threads/checking-error-codes-vr-vs-revised.22307---
If its clicking though when your trying to start it,I doubt its the computer.It sounds like its a flat battery or bad connection, either at the negative battery terminal,the earth lead connection,or the positive battery terminal or the connetion at the starter motor.If its definitely not the battery,then try cleaning the battery teminals and the battery posts.Id also check and clean with a wire brush where the positive battery lead connects to the starter motor,and where the negative battery terminal connects the the engine block and where the negative earth connects to the body near the battery.Clean all the connection contact surfaces the lead ends with the wire brush until they are shiny.Also try starting the car with the headlights on high beam.If the lights are dim and then go out completely when the engine is wound over,its likely to be the battery is faulty or buggered from old age.3 years is about the average life of a battery.You sometimes hear about one that lasted 5 years or so,but 3 is usually it..

Last edited:

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
As well as Brett's good advice above, try moving the gear selector from P to N....coild be the inhibiter switch.

tittezzzvr

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT v6 Berlina & 5LT VP International
Ive swapped out the computer with no luck
It ran like a dream for 2 days then crapped out on the way down the F3 again
Ive tryd the inhibiter switch , no joy
It did some wired stuff last night
wouldnt start then popped bonnet put jumper leads on but not connected to another car or battery & the bugger started, Well Ill be stuffed
So i turned it off for 2 mins then no start again not even with a jump from a 4X4
so I sat & waited for the missus & when she showed up it jumped first go.
Ill check all the connections & post any results.
Thanks for the ideas guys

The1

A Memcal a Day Keeps..
Reaction score
Website
www.eyeit.org
Members Ride
VS V6 Berlina Auto
could be crank angle sensor then.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
If the starter is clicking but not engaging I would say it is on the way out.

The1

A Memcal a Day Keeps..
Reaction score
Website
www.eyeit.org
Members Ride
VS V6 Berlina Auto
arh sorry didn't pickup starter before, disregard my last post, battery could also be faulty