Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

My VS Acclaim (Series II)

frogsta

Perth WA
Reaction score
Members Ride
Focus ST E30
Mmm doesn't sound fun :/
Damn Peter Brock cruise coming up in a week as well :(

Jonah 101

Undefined
Reaction score
Members Ride
R32 Skyline
its not super hard, its just that you can run into big problems if you muck it up. just search the forum, there should be a how to on here. i cbf explaining it and everyone does it a little differently.

frogsta

Perth WA
Reaction score
Members Ride
Focus ST E30
Well I'm not very car savvy and not confident when its something as important as a cooling system.. but I have a mate doing it tomorrow for 50 bucks, we might get onto the fuel pump and o2 sensors as well :)
After they're done I want to get some reco'd injectors and see how my fuel goes from there.

Oh also an update on the problem: it only seems to start,.or go away when I accelerate up a hill.
5 min drive to work this morning; was fine for little while, 1st hill and temp just spiked heaps suddenly... Later went up a second hill and temp went back down sitting on half, and finally third hill started to get hot again. I'm hoping this won't be the pump? I guess it makes sense while going uphill, not pumping coolant? Will have to see after tomorrow I guess.

frogsta

Perth WA
Reaction score
Members Ride
Focus ST E30
Alrighty, did the thermostat today, as well as managing the fuel pump and filter. Did spark plugs as well but they weren't needed.
Nonetheless, the thermo was stuffed, didn't open after i put it in boiled water haha, new one seems to work fine but haven't taken it for a drive, on idle it never went above 1/3
We noticed a bit of an air leak - probably from when I intalled the MACE TB, I didn't seal it, so we got some sealant out and did both the TB and plenum but it made it a little worse :/
Only other thing at the moment is a tiny coolant leak at the thermostat, I'm guessing it was pretty average gasket sealant

frogsta

Perth WA
Reaction score
Members Ride
Focus ST E30
Well more an aquaintance. He works at Toyota so assumed it'd be more difficult, he ended up doing spark plugs, fuel pump, fuel filter and the thermo as well as sealing up the air stuff for me :)
Fuel pump was a #### of a job so I gave him $80 for all of the above, I didn't know thermostat was so easy either aha
But yeah went for a longish drive today, kept my cool (I'm so punny) as did the car. Car did cut out once turning left but I think that was due to low fuel levels mixed with injector cleaner

frogsta

Perth WA
Reaction score
Members Ride
Focus ST E30
Yeah hopefully haha just waiting for something else to stuff up next week :p
Not sure if I can afford going on the Peter Brock cruise now though, I get paid monthly haha

frogsta

Perth WA
Reaction score
Members Ride
Focus ST E30
Well, should have some kind of pay review soon which I'm hoping for a big jump in pay. (Considering I'm now second in charge in my department at work, and the only person south of river; hence operating our Bibra Lake warehouse)
Hopefully get me some extra spare cash to spend on the car, considering lack of recent updates. I've decided I'm going to save $1000 at a time, and work the car on each separate area (i.e handling, engine, exterior)

Got a gasket for the Thermostat because there's a tiny leak where we sealed it in. Also noticed an intake manifold or TB leak which we did seal but no avail once we did so. The inside of my plenum was much cleaner than I expected as well.

Anyway, any ideas on the best way to find and seal the intake leak?
Hoping to get some progress on the car soon. (Still saving for upgrading brakes and suspension from Not_An_Abba_Fan)

Edit; Updated first post with some new-er pics

Last edited: