Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

My VS Commodore 3.8 ecotec v6 engine ticks

two-bit

old enough to mang better
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S series II
that sounds like an a exhaust leak a pfft pfft pfft not a metallic tick tick tick

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
If its at the top of the rocket cover then remove the cover and start it and see if you can feel which rod or lifter is doing it, also the valve might be stuck and the piston hitting it if its possible as I haven't come across this before. Oil will spit around though good luck.

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim
I still feel it is a stuck lifter as Wot originally claimed. Basically a valvetrain issue.

If it is a balancer issue then it should go away momentarily if you rev the engine up a bit and then it will return when the engine returns to idle speed.

BTW exhaust manifolds on these engines have no gaskets, they have the manifold bolt straight up against the head face.

I would be removing that drivers side rocker cover and feeling all the push rods and see if one particular one is a tad looser and has any free play while it's in position. To do this you must rotate the engine crank by hand so that each set of rockers per cylinder are in the resting position and only then check for free play. Then rotate the engine crank again by hand to check the next set of rockers.

Utel67

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs s3 ute
Before you pull it a part grab a long screw driver and sit the flathead side on the rocker cover and put your ear on the handle, work your way across the rocker cover and see if it sounds louder in one spot compared to the rest.

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
Yes that's actually very good practice to do, especially for the inexperienced so as to avoid unnecessary work that's not needed to do.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Screwdriver or stethoscope is ok. But its not always easy to diagnose an engine noise with these. I had a mech use one on the ute and he couldn't confirm my timing chain was buggard. His opinion ended up being inconclusive. I have a rattle now and you can place the stethoscope anywhere on the top half of the engine and still not know where the noise is coming from. But if you know what a balance shaft rattle sounds like you can pick it straight away.
I hate to say it but I'm with Trevor, pull the belt and run the engine to eliminate the balancer.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I know...... I even hit the like button in another thread, dare I say it.....

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
I'm going to make an appointment for you to see someone.