Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

My VS III Maloo

Discussion in 'VR - VS' started by Gilly91, Jul 30, 2014.

1. Gilly91

Gilly91 Member

Members Ride:
    VS Ute
    Thought I'd put my recently purchased Maloo up here for you guys to see.
    I bought it from Adelaide and drove it back home to NSW because it was a bargain! Fell in love with it on the way home too! My first car which I still have is a V6 VS ute and I have loved it from the word go, but it was always missing those 2 cylinders so now that I'm off my P's I decided to upgrade. I love the look of the VS commodores so I am stoked with what I've got.

Description:
    1999 series III Maloo and is in ok condition apart from a few cosmetic blemishes at the moment. The main ones being a cracked grille (of which he gave me a new HSV replacement), damaged bonnet and imperfect paint. Has a hard cover and a factory HSV tub liner.

Modifications:
    Nothing major; fairly new twin exhaust system by the looks of it including extractors and an awesome note. Also has been lowered further than factory and has an ok sound system.

Short term plans:
    I got a mechanic to inspect it before I flew down and have been going through his list of problems and fixing them to get it ready for a NSW blue slip. The main ones were:

Valley gasket coolant leak
    Driver's side engine mount missing bolts and engine dropped on one side (how does this happen!?)
    Horn relay needs replacing or something?
    Exhaust mounts need re welding
    Air bag warning light stays on
    Bonnet latch not working properly

I also want to get a new bonnet and get the grille painted and put in as well as fix the other little cosmetic imperfections.

So here is the ute:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Got it home and it was on my mate's hoist in a couple of days getting the mounts welded and sussing out the underside which turned out to be fairly clean and oil free. Could see evidence of the coolant leak though.

[​IMG]

Then I went on to attack the valley gasket and did the intake manifold gaskets too. First big job I've done on a car and I am learning a lot quickly haha

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Gave it all a clean up, whacked the gaskets in with some silicone gasket maker and let it cure....drove it the next day and it was still leaking coolant!!

But I was relieved when I looked and it was coming from the water pump! So I decided to replace the whole pump as well as gaskets, and the thermostat too.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now I think I've got it to the point where it doesn't leak oil or coolant! We shall see though...

I've also jacked the engine up and replaced the missing bolts so I'm not simply relying on gravity to hold the engine in the car anymore haha. Now I've just got the horn and the air bag to fix. Problem is I can't find the horn! Where is it exactly?? There is no relay for it in the fuse box but there isn't one in my other ute either and its horn works. Any ideas?

Long term plans:

New rims, possibly late model HSV ones
    Full respray in the same colour including the hard cover.
    Tossing up about a custom rear bumper and some side skirts like my current ute but am still unsure on this.
    Dual exhaust tips on each side.
    No performance upgrades planned yet.

Feel free to comment and let me know what you think.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2018
  2. JTR007

JTR007 Member

Members Ride:
    VN BT1 Commodore, VS Ute SII
    Nice pick up dude, i'd love to get one once im off mine. as i a vs v6 ute. lol

Your horn is usually on the drivers side behind the bumper.

Has heaps of potential, look forward to seeing the happenings!

3. VS_Pete

VS_Pete Donating Member

Members Ride:
    VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
    Great pickup mate...............

4. Deuce

Deuce Super Stock

Members Ride:
    '94 VR SS V8
    Nice Ute, quite uncommon isn't it??

I wouldn't change the wheels, They look really good.

5. Gilly91

Gilly91 Member

Members Ride:
    VS Ute
    Thanks guys! Yeah it was a lucky pick up and I know the feeling of wanting to add those extra 2 cylinders when you get off your P's!
    I thought the horn was around there but I haven't found mine yet haha although I haven't looked too hard yet, just been fixing up the more major problems.
    I don't mind the wheels either and they've got good tread on them so they'll stay for a while at least!

6. dobesz

dobesz 355ssute

Members Ride:
    vs ss ute
    Nice ute mate got to love the vs utes

7. Gilly91

Gilly91 Member

Members Ride:
    VS Ute
    Ok so I've found the horn and attempted to find out why it isn't working. Replaced the relay with one that I know works, checked the fuse, tested the horns on another car battery, checked the wiring everywhere that I can see and taken apart the steering column shroud etc.
    When tested with a multimeter, there isn't 12V at the contacts of the relay in the engine bay where there should be. I can't find anything obvious which might be causing this. Does anyone have any ideas??

Also I think this plastic contact ring thing was loose when I took the shroud off my steering column. I put the copper rod in a hole which looks like where it is meant to go but it doesn't seem to be electrically connected to anything. Does this have anything to do with my horn/air bag light problem?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 14, 2017
  8. Gilly91

Gilly91 Member

Members Ride:
    VS Ute
    Well I put the horns back under the bumper (with much cursing and struggling), earthed out the copper pin to the steering column and what do you know, the horn works! So I figured it was the horn/air bag ring/collar/whatever the thing is in the picture above.

So I took the steering wheel horn pad off and the horn wire wasn't even connected! So I connected that and hoped it would be the problem but it wasn't. There were also two connection points on this wire, is that normal? Anyway, I got the ring off and opened it up to find that the ribbon had snapped! So I assume this is what's giving me my air bag warning and also the reason the horn doesn't work. Off to the wreckers today to get a replacement and hopefully I'll be able to sound my disapproval of other people's driving whenever I feel the need.

9. Gilly91

Gilly91 Member

Members Ride:
    VS Ute
    So I took all your advice and figured it out for myself haha. Ended up replacing the clock spring and I now have a normal functioning horn! Now to get the air bag light cleared and I should be getting close to a blue slip!

10. Gilly91

Gilly91 Member

Members Ride:
    VS Ute
    Got the ute registered in NSW yesterday and it has begun its life as my daily! Got a bit of a scare when it almost died due to an uncharged battery. Thought it was an alternator fault, but when I put a good battery in, the voltage was reading 14.4V or something so I guess the old battery was cactus. We shall see how it goes!

[​IMG]

11. Gilly91

Gilly91 Member

Members Ride:
    VS Ute
    In the last few weeks a bit has been happening with the ute. I sent it to the panel beaters and got the front end resprayed and therefore unfortunately had to buy new stickers for it. Oh well, at least it looks good now!

I also upgraded the sound system which was a massive effort. It includes:

Fusion powerplant splits which I managed to buy new for $140! The required extensive customising of the speaker pods and then using spacers...definitely worth it with the sound quality though! I also ran the wires through the factory wiring loom boot between the car and the door.
    Pioneer DEH-5250SD head unit with iPod cable fed through the dash into the glovebox to keep visible wiring minimal
    Sony Xplod XM-405EQX Amp under the passenger seat
    Sony Xplod XS-L1230 12" sub in a custom sub box in the long range fuel tank cavity in the tray.

Like I said, the sound system was a massive effort due to space restrictions and fiddly things from making the output coax cables fit in behind the head unit, to removing the tub liner to get the sub in. But the sound improvement was worth it.

Here are a few pictures of the ute when I got it back from the panel beaters:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thought I'd chuck in a few of the interior as well:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

To get the size of the sub box, out came the tub liner:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It was in pretty good condition under there

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here is the side view template of the sub box which I made sure just fit in the cavity:

[​IMG]

I made it this way because I have made one before and left the service holes open for the sound however you get a whole lot of fuel smell this way. So I designed it so the speaker would be fully enclosed and then I would port the box into the cab; effectively sealing it off and making the sub an extension of the cab to eliminate the smell. This decision also made making the box so so much harder due to the tight dimensional tolerances. You will see what I mean in the next photos:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Took the ute to the Deni ute muster last weekend and put the sound system through its paces. It's nice and loud and also very clear which is what I was looking for. Not loud outside the car though which is what you get for having the sub tucked away like that.

That's about it for now.

12. shinc

shinc New Member

Members Ride:
    MY12 VE II SV6 Sportwagon
    I like the old maloos. Because unlike the ve/vfs. Not every bastard has one...

13. Gilly91

Gilly91 Member

Members Ride:
    VS Ute
    I've put some new wheels on the ute now and I am stoked with them. Got them for a good price and they came with near new tyres. They are Simmons copies called MC Racing wheels and the are 20x8" fronts and 20x9.5" rears which are huge and fill every last millimetre of the guards out. I was sceptical on them fitting especially this size rear rim on the back of a VS ute but they just fit...kinda. I've notice a bit of rubbing on the inside of the wheel well when the rear axle twists on uneven sections of the road but nothing major. I've also rolled the lip around the outside of the guards and they just tuck under there when the suspension compresses.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As you can see there is a healthy amount of dish at the back which I love. The next photo shows how much room for error there is with these big puppies.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The slightly bigger rolling diameter gives me a little bit more ground clearance which is not a bad thing. Also, don't worry; I'm keeping the original rims.

Safe to say I'll be avoiding gutters even more now though and definitely not letting anyone else drive.

14. someguy360

someguy360 Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    94' VR 304 - 05' Navara - 17' Focus - 12' Sorento
    Love it mate, Looking at your interior pics though you need a leather steering wheel, an HSV deserves better :)

15. Gilly91

Gilly91 Member

Members Ride:
    VS Ute
    Haha I hadn't even thought of that. Did they come out with leather steering wheels? If so it could be on the cards...they're not cheap though.
    I'd also like an original leather gear knob one day but the VY one looks pretty good at the moment. I've just gotta get the boot fitted properly onto it as you can see.

16. someguy360

someguy360 Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    94' VR 304 - 05' Navara - 17' Focus - 12' Sorento
    I believe so:
    [​IMG]

Most just replace them with standard wheels when the leather splits (due to not looking after it).

Mine had a factory leather wheel that had been replaced with a standard one too, I managed to track down a senator wheel for $85, they are out there.

You can also get your current one retrimmed to pretty much the same style/standard for around $250 I think.

17. Gilly91

Gilly91 Member

Members Ride:
    VS Ute
    Oh nice, I'll have to keep my eyes peeled then

18. dbarnes

dbarnes Member

Members Ride:
    VE SS-V M6 UTE
    I love the VS shape man and to see a white VS Maloo on simmons copies has made my day, well done :)

19. Gilly91

Gilly91 Member

Members Ride:
    VS Ute
    Hahaha glad to be of service.

20. ephect

ephect Donating Member

Members Ride:
    VS Acclaim V6
    such a good looking ride, the new shoes suit this to a T.

ur post#1 photos, mate that is an awesome spot for kicking back after a macca's run :) pity the roads turn to **** after crossing over into Vic.