Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

My VS III Maloo

Gilly91

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Ute
On the weekend I got stuck in and replaced the tired, old front struts and all their components as well as the tie rod ends. I read that the KYB struts were good so I went with those and just got some tie rod ends from eBay. Didn't have any dramas except for one nut that I couldn't get undone for ages (always the case) and now the car feels much nicer to drive! It's nice and solid in the front end instead of clunky and harsh. Here are some photos anyway:

Old Monroe strut

image_zpsxkivsu5v.jpg

Old strut mounts and bearings. All the ball bearings were basically just floating around in the mounts.

image_zpsfkdch7jk.jpg

image_zpsj8als0uk.jpg

New KYB shortened struts. My springs were still loose enough in these struts to not need spring compressors haha. Not sure if that's a bad thing...

image_zps3baf3jwx.jpg

New tie rod end. The old ones may as well have not had a rubber boot on them at all.

image_zps7duqfluc.jpg

My steering isn't too badly out but I've got it booked in for a wheel alignment today so hopefully that only further improves the ride! Overall it was a successful weekend working on the old girl. Got to use my new torque wrench too!

Last edited:

Gilly91

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Ute
A highly exciting update:

After having terrible slop in my already sloppy Getrag gear stick, I got under the car to see if I could figure out why. As it turned out it was only a matter of two loose bolts and a sheared rubber mount on the "gear shift mounting beam". I tightened the bolts and then drove it with the sheared rubber mount for a while as I tried to track down a new mounting beam. Apparently Holden don't make them anymore so I thought I'd be off to the wreckers, but then I looked through a bag of stuff I got from a gearbox replacement I did on my old ute and I had one! With a bit of panel beating it was as good as new, so I whacked it in yesterday and all is well again.

Here is the old one:

image_zpsufldykgu.jpg

Last edited:

afstruct

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Maloo , 2002 Monaro
Very nice, love a white maloo, rims look really good on it. Fixed gearbox mount would make it feel so much better and less stress on rest of drive train

Gilly91

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Ute
Finally got around to replacing the dirty, old, broken mesh in the front bumper. I was putting it off because I knew I'd have to take the whole bumper off.
Before:

IMG_5411_zpsrjebmyqi.jpg

After:

IMG_5415_zps3nwrs9cc.jpg

During:

IMG_5412_zpsyzllxn2o.jpg

IMG_5413_zps8agimzde.jpg

And this is just a photo I took of it (before the mesh was changed) one day:

IMG_5374_zpsqovaqops.jpg

Last edited:

VS 5.0

Reaction score