Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

My VS III Maloo

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
My steering guy advised that holden racks completely cover the feed at full lock and is not good for them.
Not much stress at idle, but very bad news for the pump if high rpm full lock is used often (ie skids)

Gilly91

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Ute
My steering guy advised that holden racks completely cover the feed at full lock and is not good for them.
Not much stress at idle, but very bad news for the pump if high rpm full lock is used often (ie skids)
Mmm yeah. But mine squeals if I'm getting in/out of a carpark at low revs. I try my best to never hit full lock because of it. Has your steering guy got any fixes for a noisy/heavy new steering pump? Haha

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
I was watching 'the skid factory' last night and he reckons that the new belts stretch in 5minutes and start squealing from new.
He was working on a 304 in a HQ so quite relevant.

Gilly91

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Ute
Yeah I have just replaced the belt and have it at a good tension (not too tight, but not loose). I replaced it in hope of a new belt fixing the problem but it didn't. Interesting about that comment saying the belts stretch quickly. Interesting and annoying. Maybe there is a better/lighter power steering fluid I can use to take some pressure off the system??

Gilly91

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Ute
Does anyone know where I could buy altezza/crystal headlights and corner blinkers for my ute nowadays?? They used to be all over eBay but now I actually have some money to spend on headlights they're nowhere to be found on the internet...

Gilly91

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Ute
So after a lot of thinking I have decided to get a second car while I take the Maloo off the road to get some body work done and then a respray - it needs/deserves it.
So my question is: does anyone here know of any panel beaters in the Wollongong area who they would trust to do a few rust repairs and a good, closed door respray on an older car? When I got the front end resprayed last time, rust came out from the panel edges within a few years. I don't want that to happen again.

Gilly91

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Ute
I've been slowly making progress on the rust repairs myself over the last while. Here's some photos of what I've done.

I knew there was rust in the driver's side sill. So I cut the side skirts off. Looks like this one had been off before and the person who replaced it had shares in Sikaflex. Such a mission to remove, but I used a long knife with WD40 as lubricant to cut the glue and remove it. The hardest bit is getting it started as there is not much room to get the knife in, but as you progress, you can bend the skirt back for better access (giggity).

Used a caramel wheel on a drill to remove the remaining Sikaflex from the car body and the skirt so I can put it back on neatly. These things are actually really effective and I'd recommend them to anyone removing Sikaflex.

This is the cause of some of the rust:

And here is the extent of the rust:

20200918-125202.jpg

Cut up another VS (wagon) with good sills to replace the rust cuts:

Then I realised the little raised mounts the rubber trim clips to were actually at a different height to my ute. So annoying. So I cut up another person's VS, a ute this time (with their permission, of course) only to find the same issue!

20210109-143200.jpg

So I ended up cutting the mounts off, carefully measuring the correct position and then drilling a hole in this position and welding the mounts in from the back.

20210110-104758.jpg

20210110-121250.jpg

Then this happened when my rotary tool's cutting disc exploded. Exactly why I always wear safety glasses!

20210110-111333.jpg

20210110-111421.jpg

This is the end result after welding, grinding and priming for protection. I am obviously going to skim some filler over the welds.

20210110-181353.jpg

Last edited: