Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

My VS series 2 5.0 manual Ute

MIK85

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Caprice 5.0
Thanks mate, it’s a T5, getrag was series 3 for the V8s. Series 2 V6 got the getrag for some reason? I’m leaning towards just headers and exhaust. Let it breathe a little easier, sound a bit better, and leave it at that. Might look at a tune afterwards to get it right. Any opinions on SS inductions? Worth it for $300??

MIK85

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Caprice 5.0
Also, what’s the difference between 2.5 inch and 3 inch?? Obviously size and cost, but will 3 inch give any better performance on an engine that’s stock apart from headers/extractors??

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
3" rear pipe over diff is just for sound.

1 5/8 pacies with secondaries enlarged to 2.5".Twin 100 or 200cell cats whichever you prefer then can go on to whatever exhaust you like depending on how you want it to sound & future power goals but twin 2.5" to muffler or mufflers then 3" rear over diff is what most do.

ace memcal with mace airbox...v6 supercharged or hsv airbox are ok....tad better than stock.

3.9 diff gears is final piece to tie it all together & get most out of the other mods...won't be a beast but will be fun enough.

Cam swaps are a waste untill get the stock compression up to suit cam...my ute has baby cam can easily tell without bump in compression not much better than stock imho.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Cam is going to be out of your budget. Fit Pacies and 3" cat back. Get Memcal tune for under $200 from Mace. Get Mace CAI they are the best. Won't show massive numbers on the dyno but you will feel it in the pedal. $1000, plus gear set, will get diff sorted. Torque will improve with tune, headers, cat back and Mace CAI.

MIK85

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Caprice 5.0
Thanks guys, quality advice as I assumed it would be . I’ll keep you all posted as to how I go and what route I go down

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Do you have the correct, right hand bumprette to take twin exhaust?

MIK85

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Caprice 5.0
Do you have the correct, right hand bumprette to take twin exhaust?
Negative. It’ll just be single. So either single 2.5 or single 3. Just wondering if it’s worth going the 3. I don’t want it to be super loud, but if the performance of the 3 is considerably more than the 2.5 then I’d go with it.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
2.5 sounded fine on my VS sedan.

H

harrop.senator

I personally don't think single 2.5" is enough. If it's a way you want to go I've got some V8 headers a single hi flow cat I can cut the V6 y pipe off and a 2.5" single system for vs ute here.

Cam will definitely make a difference. I'm keen to try the new lunati hydraulics in one.

The tried and trued 284/crow 4851 are good with short gears in manual cars. 2500-5500 they'll really pull. If you mill the heads .030 you won't need to plane manifold and PTV clearance is plentiful. ( I've installed these +2 for a couple guys and didn't seem to lose much up top but gained some from the 2k up mark. )

The 4502 and 276 crane is good for autos with at least 3.45s or stock diff manuals. They have a good power range of 2200 or so to 5000. They'll still pull 6k but it's nosing off.

If you're prepared to buy a manual and do the work yourself. You could do diff gears ( I know a guy who sells used genuine over east for $300 in 3.7 3.9 and 4.1 )

You may be able to do it all for 3. It's be tight but maybe doable.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Twin cats/2.5" pipes are a must otherwise may as well keep what it already has.

Twin mufflers before diff merging into single over diff is nicest way do it yet most expensive as custom setup...not really necessary unless going silly BUT as long as it's twin cats & pipes to decent muffler before diff should be good enough for stock to mild 304.

Not keen on them as thought they were quiet & tad restrictive tuffcarparts sold cheap redback systems...vl wagon 3" catback might work otherwise 2.5" ute setup but yeah definately want good extractors & twin 100-200cell cats to help it rev.

2.5" more suited if you only want to really hear it when up it hard yet quiet idle & cruising...3" get louder idle lokk at yt clips for better idea.

Really should do tune/air box/ gears with exhaust