Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

My VS series 2 5.0 manual Ute

afstruct

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Maloo , 2002 Monaro
Its the one thing making me not want to part with my one (was the daily with alot of history) as trying to find one is becoming harder and costlier.
Always had grand plans for mine, and since now having a VZ v8 ute they might be able to come to fruition, although probably more likely to "daily" the VS as it always felt like the everyday vehicle.

I guess it all comes down to how you see it. For me it was always the practical daily, where as if you buy one now its probably more a mindfulness thing that its a classic. Where as I see my Thunder as the one i am cautious of because it was always the "one day i'll own what i wanted when i was younger" so it becomes a hassle of looking after it, while the VS would still be getting barrelled down those country roads :p

I was early 30s when VR came out .
Couldn't afford/justify until 2002
I still can't get enough of the VR/VS = ute = love= not originally my first choice = Maloo = but now love it.
Back in early 2014 = for a few months =( Maloo was relatively stock)= ( yes I still live in Newcastle area) = working in Cowra= almost 600 kms 1 way.
Quite a few trips back and forth=
WHAT AN ABSOSUTE Hoot =( I will never forget)=== WHAT THEY ARE BUILT FOR =BIG COUNTRY MILES and FUN as WELL !!!!!!

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
You guys forgot the ugly duckling vp utes!!!! Rare sight to see even when new haha.

vg-vs v8 utes look & sound the best although vy-vz maloo or ss ute are nicer to drive.

Mine now sits around for weeks at a time then realise why I keep it after a tip run...if it were still v6 I'd have sold it with covid price hikes.

MIK85

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Caprice 5.0
Got some pacemakers and a hi-flo CAT put on the Ute on Thursday. Gotta say, I’m actually quite impressed and surprised at how much difference it feels like they’ve made?? My issue with it originally was, that it seems to rev a lot low down, especially in first and second, but wouldn’t actually feel like it was moving anywhere. Extractors seemed to have let it rev still but way more responsiveness on acceleration and a bit more power down low, which is exactly what I was after. Already had a CAT back exhaust on it, so left that on there for now to save some cash. Sounds a bit better now as well. Overall pretty happy with how it all turned out.

NORTI

Reaction score
Members Ride
Wildtrak
You guys forgot the ugly duckling vp utes!!!! Rare sight to see even when new haha.

vg-vs v8 utes look & sound the best although vy-vz maloo or ss ute are nicer to drive.

Mine now sits around for weeks at a time then realise why I keep it after a tip run...if it were still v6 I'd have sold it with covid price hikes.
we have one of those, turned skid pig. The VP ute never gets the love the VS ute does.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Yeah with pacies most notable thing is how much better they rev than the little bit of power gain they have...to get most out of them is chopping outlets off after secondaries then have 2 1/2 pipes then twin cats.

That gets most torque out of them down low-midrange...remainder of exhaust just there for sound or drone if done wrong.

Ironically bought vp ute 'cos it was cheap,in bad shape & being loathed vp model honestly thought I'd use it for house renovations then move it straight after....somehow ended up growing on me & gets more time spent on it than my better cars I should be working on....

Ace memcal,mace airbox (trim small section off it),3.7-3.9 gears..stick a fork in it!!!

Last edited:

MIK85

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Caprice 5.0
One thing I was wondering was, years ago, probably 15+ I got some pacemakers on my VN V6. The guy at the place who fitted them, said to not rev it over a certain amount (might’ve been 3k, can’t quite remember) as the computer needed time to reset itself and learn that there’s been a change. Is that correct? I’m sure he told me to do that for a few weeks, to let the computer recognise the change and adjust itself accordingly. Anyone else ever get told that??

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
One thing I was wondering was, years ago, probably 15+ I got some pacemakers on my VN V6. The guy at the place who fitted them, said to not rev it over a certain amount (might’ve been 3k, can’t quite remember) as the computer needed time to reset itself and learn that there’s been a change. Is that correct? I’m sure he told me to do that for a few weeks, to let the computer recognise the change and adjust itself accordingly. Anyone else ever get told that??
Yeah, in the light load areas the ecu will 'learn' a few offsets and adjust fuelling a little bit and save that data (until you disconnect the battery). But I don't think W. O. T will be affected.
I could be wrong, someone else will chime in.....

MIK85

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Caprice 5.0
The battery had definitely been disconnected, cause when I picked it up, the radio was off and I had to put the code in. Would they disconnect it while fitting them, or would that be to reset the computer once they’re fitted??

MIK85

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Caprice 5.0
Another question for fellow Ute owners. When I bought the Ute, it had a hard cover. In ok condition, but honestly, I don’t like the look of it, and it’s not all that practical if I want to actually use it to move stuff around. So I’m looking at a soft cover. Heaps of aftermarket ones available, assume they’re all pretty similar. Problem I have is, I don’t have the little pins / bolts that run along the top of tray, under the rear window, that the covers fasten to. I’ve been able to source the cross bar and a few of the pins from the bloke I bought the Ute from (he’s got a heap of parts from various cars he’s wrecked / wrecking) but I can’t find any new or replacement pins? I’ve searched eBay and the like, and have found some for falcon utes, and Holden hx-wb but nothing for commodore model utes. Anyone know where the pins could be found??