Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

My VS V6 has poxy fuel economy!!!

-Lewis-

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Wagon
im getting on average just over 600kms out of my vs v6 auto wagon. but that is driving 160kms a day (highway).
my best is 654kms so far. driving around town is a lot different though

fixedit

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II Calais V Redline Wagon
Mine was running cold and ended up stopping. I changed the thermostat and the temperature is now around the second mark on the gauge all the time, thats about halfway between cold and half-hot. The old thermostat looked ok at first glance and I heated it up in a pot of boiling water on the stove to check its operation. It opened when hot but when I looked very closely at it when it was cold, there was a very small gap where water could get past the stopper. Fuel consumption has improved and it even drives a bit better.

This has made me think all my trouble may have been caused by the thermostat not closing completely. The computer would have made the fuel air mixture richer to counter the 'apparent' cold conditions. This would have in turn added extra load on the fuel system and probably caused the pump to fail. The other knock-on effect would be sooting up of the oxygen sensors.

My recommendation to anyone who's V6 isn't getting warm fast, seems to run cold or doesn't hold a fairly steady temperature, or uses too much fuel, CHANGE THE THERMOSTAT NOW, before it leads to more trouble.
Edit/Delete Message

digisol

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota Landcruiser
Sorry guys, 6.4 lit / 100 kms highway @ 95. or 800 + easy from a std tank, Yeppoon to Brisbane and back to Gympie NP. return trip uses about 90 litres

Around 7.5 / 100 city < 60 no a/c, no power mode, no heavy foot.

Add another 1-2 for a/c all the time, never turn the a/c all the way cold, unless your parked in the sun, set it to half way and the compressor will not cut in as much, after all your not trying to chill stubbies, just stay comfortable, not cold.

But before changing the filter it drank fuel at 24 lit / 100 km.

Brett

Legend
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
In my ute before i changed the injectors i was getting around 250kms out of a tank, thats with around town and highway driving not flogging it. Now i get double that between 500 - 550kms with the same type of driving.
Also before i changed the injectors the car would idle and generally run like crap, i would pull up at traffic lights and it will stall, it would stall at other inconvient times too.

boojak87

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Series II SS 5.7L
Fuel filters do make a difference as well. Not on the first tank after replacement, but 2 down. I replaced mine 2 tanks down, throttle response was instaneously improved and i regained some economy 2 to 3 tanks down. Went from close to 16L per 100kms down to 13.9L as of the last tank. Will get injectors done soonish as well and hopefully i should be down to around 10L which will be ideal. Then come the extractors, high flow cat, and roller rockers.

Lol cheers all,
Boojakz.

Torquen

Boost FTW
Reaction score
Members Ride
450+ HP FORD XR6T
also use Bp ultimate (98 ron) it increase the life of a tank of fuel dramticly. i get about an extra 65km and it cost me about an extra $5 to fill up. i think its worth it.

digisol

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota Landcruiser
I gave my VS to the daughter not that long ago when I bought a new Caprice, whatever, but the daughter just came back from Brisbane where she got around 650kms / tank of 58 lit. that's Like Yeppoon to the Gold Coast.

Nothing special on the VS but for a good CAI setup, all the simple stuff was done 6 months ago, plugs - leads - fuel filter - air filter - cleaned T/B, not too bad for an engine with 250k on it.

From what I see the general fuel use per tank for a car in a good state of tune is 450 +/- 25, that useage is near doubled with a heavy foot, like racing the traffic lights etc, hard acceleration / hard stopping or excessive use of the power button that allows more fuel in.

If the car is still getting lousy mpg one might be checking all the basics, then revising driving habits, silly things like a tight throttle cable will make ya push harder than needed on the throttle, the opposite that ya might think, with a light throttle it's easier to feel exactly how much your pushing it.

vr_owner

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr 3.8lt executive
im getting 400 around town and anywhere upto 580kms on a full tank

cameltoe

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
vr calais
i have only had my vr calais for a week now so i can't say how good or bad it is but i've covered 300 km's so far and still have half a tank. dte on the dash says 400 km's

ivaninoz

Ivaninoz
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS SerIII Statesman
Sorry guys, 6.4 lit / 100 kms highway @ 95. or 800 + easy from a std tank, Yeppoon to Brisbane and back to Gympie NP. return trip uses about 90 litres.

I'm in your Boat Digisol,
700 +or- per Tankful, more often +
That's out West with maybe 1 or 2 trips into and around Toowoomba
Normaly Cruise on 105-110 with A/C @ 23.5*C
Further West cruise @ 115-120