Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

My VT is slow off the mark compared to another stock VT any ideas ?

JakeysVT

Reaction score
Members Ride
'99 VT Clubsport R8
im trying to improve my low end grunt in my vt, because at the moment it isnt very quick off the mark at all compared to my mates vt its absolutley flys off the mark and its completely stock, while mine revs but doenst go anywhere fast :(
transmission perhaps ?, fuel pump ?. because i have noticed at high revs it starts to miss slightly
any help would be much appreciated because its way to slow off the mark

Cheers

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Give it a full service.Spark plugs,sparkplug leads,oil and oil filter,transmission fluid and new transmission filter if its auto, and a new fuel filter and new air filter.Also new "genuine" ignition coils make a difference,especially if the car has 200,000 or more k's up.Cleaned injectors will make a difference too,and it doesnt cost that much to get them done.And the last thing you can do that is fairly cheap is fit a tuned memcal chip.That will liven it up a bit more.I also find the 98 octane fuels run better,even with a standard tune,especially if you have a lead foot like me, and like to open it up a bit (a lot) here and there.You can also get some carby or throttle body cleaner and spray the throttle body to clean it out,it makes a bit of a difference to how it runs too if its dirty and all caked up with crap.

JakeysVT

Reaction score
Members Ride
'99 VT Clubsport R8
Hey Brett_jjj ive given it new sparkies and leads and new fuel filter, im going to change the oil on the weekend and a new oil filter, the car has done about 290,xxx kms and has been very well looked after so its still got alot of life in her, so if i do a new transmission filter new transmission oil and new coils and new injectors it shuld make a difference ? i was also going to clean the whole plenum chamber and throttle body on the weekend too so this will help also yeah ? haha yeaah i have a lead foot i like to open her up every now and then :D so all of this shuld make a difference ? also ive wondered what the memcal chip will actually do ?
thanks agen for the quick reply

Mirkz

Reaction score
Members Ride
GSXR1000
make sure you post results dude, be interesting to see what happens.

soop

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 SS Commodore Series II
WTF is wrong with people these days.

My car is rooted. why?

I swear some people on here need a DIY to open the damned bonnet.
If ya tacho is going of its tits and ya speedo isn't budging. Good chance your transmission is knackered.
Give it a service and see how it goes. But if its that bad, no holding my breath.

If its missing, change the plugs and leads. Probably hasn't been done... ever.
If it keeps going, replace the coils.

Car fix-its 101 here bud.

JakeysVT

Reaction score
Members Ride
'99 VT Clubsport R8
i have replaced the plugs and leads, im going to do a service on it on the weekend, re-do the oil, oil filter, transmission fluid, transmission filter and perhaps the coil packs, will let ya know on the performance mirkz on saturday arvo when i have re-done all of these
will post on sat arvo when everything is done :)

soop

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 SS Commodore Series II
Get on ebay and have alook for some Subaru upper engine cleaner. Smash some of that through your engine. It cleans varnish and carbob off ya valves and ****. Helps a bit.

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Hey Brett_jjj ive given it new sparkies and leads and new fuel filter, im going to change the oil on the weekend and a new oil filter, the car has done about 290,xxx kms and has been very well looked after so its still got alot of life in her, so if i do a new transmission filter new transmission oil and new coils and new injectors it shuld make a difference ? i was also going to clean the whole plenum chamber and throttle body on the weekend too so this will help also yeah ? haha yeaah i have a lead foot i like to open her up every now and then :D so all of this shuld make a difference ? also ive wondered what the memcal chip will actually do ?
thanks agen for the quick reply

The chip wont give a huge increase in power,it mainly just makes the V6 more lively and responsive at low to mid throttle,but it does give an overall boost to performance.It should also make it a bit better on fuel if its a decent tune..I do VSV6 tunes,but I cant do VT ones,well,I can,but Ive no way of testing them,so I dont bother doing them.I always run the finished VS chips to test them before they get sent out. Theres a couple of guys on here who do them though,and they know what theyre doing,they always get excellent feedback and results etc..Ive never read a bad thing yet about them,just search on here under memcal or tune or the like to find posts on the subject.You can also get tuned memcals on ebay,but im not sure what they would be like.

JakeysVT

Reaction score
Members Ride
'99 VT Clubsport R8
ok thanks brett_jjj might look into one of them thanks agen for all your help :)

JakeysVT

Reaction score
Members Ride
'99 VT Clubsport R8
hey guys letting you know i serviced the car, did oil filter and oil and transmission oil and filter ran some fuel injector cleaner through it and it drives like a new car, just thought id post the results