Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

My VT won't run - barely idles - wont rev at all

Jodamis

HSV911
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Aclaim
Hi everyone. Im new on here!!
My problem is that one day my VT was running perfectly and the next morning it wasn't.
When I start it, it coughs and splutters and sounds like a backfire at the front. It will not idle at all. When I dissconnect the Air flow meter it will idle very roughly.
I called the RACQ and they said it is the fuel pump. This and the filter have been replaced with brand new ones. I still have the exact same problem. I have replaced the air flow meter too, but the same thing is happening. The computer error shows error codes 32 and 35 (air fow sensor (voltage out of range) and (IAC unable to control idle speed) These only just came up. they were not their originally. I have been working out of the Gregory's Commodore book (No.273)
We are stuck with this and its ruined our christmas!!
Can someone please help??

blueV8vl

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL V8 & supercharged VX
have u reset the computer take the battery neg off 4 a while then put it back on turn key on 4 40sec then off then another 40sec then started anything is worth a try as i can tell. and u gotta have the air flow meter connected even check around engine if any plugs have fallen off.

alby1976

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Grange Gen3, VF Calais V Wagon, VY Calais L67
Maybe a base idle reset will help, i needed to do it once.
Take the engine fuse out for 5 mins, then after putting the fuse back in, start the car up and let it idle for 30 secs, then out in D for 30 secs, then P with aircon on for 30 secs, then in D with aircon on for 30 secs.
Worked for me, worth a try.

Jodamis

HSV911
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Aclaim
Hi Alby1976 & blueV8Vl.
Thanks so much for your help and info.
I have done a reset on the computer. Now the car starts and runs. It is runnung very roughly but it is running. Its comming up with code 76 (auto problems), but that may be because it hasn't been driven. I took it for a drive and it has power, still runs roughly, but the auto still changes really smoothly. i haven't reset the computer yet though. Not sure why its running roughly. There are no strange knocks. It seems to putt a lot out of the exhaust. No smoke or anything odd comming out of the exhaust though.
Warm regards

Mayhem05

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Aero / Liberty RS Turbo / VL Turbo
Possibly u have a air leak after ur air flow meter

wortus

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Series 2 25th Anniversary in Phantom Mica
Could be fuel pressure either from a stuffed pump, faulty regulator or a blocked fuel filter. Change the fuel filter and see what happens if thats not it get the fuel pressure checked.

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
I had a problem recently where my car was running very badly, as in I stalled an auto many times. Turned out that my air-con clutch had burnt out which took the fuse out, which for some strange reason also powered the AFM, EGR valve, and purge canister.

WHen the auto sparky hooked up his diagnostic device, it registered AFM code, transmission code, EGR code and something else.

Check the fuse, then get a voltmetre out and hook it up to the 3-plug AFM connector, one should have 12V constant from battery, another ground, and another is 5V(?) front ECU.

Richadduggan

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt v6 calais
Hi, did anybody get to the bottom of this? Have the exact same issues. Cheers