Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[Ecotec] My VX Calais S2 - Questions about mods and what not!

motorbreth

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VX Calais SeriesII
Hi guys,

I was thinking about doing an L67 conversion but I think that's out of the question for the time being as I'd like to see what I can do with my L36 and if I don't what I'm after I'll consider the L67 or maybe just fork out the cash for a nice 6L.

I'm chasing around 200rwkw/270bhp so I can scare(not beat obviously) stock XR6T's/SS's and I'm trying to reach it without forced induction, I realise it's a pipe dream but what are my chances? To be honest though I'll be happy to see my car pushing numbers anywhere up from 150rwkw/200BHP.

I'm trying to work within a budget of 10k, which will include some body work a good majority would be going on engine mods. I'm trying to put together as many options and combinations as I can so I can figure out which one would be the best route.

Current mods
Engine:
* K&N Panel Filter
* BOSCH Platinum plugs
* BOSCH B6080HP High Performance Leads

Suspension/Brakes
* Pedders SportsRyder lowered suspension (dropped 3")
* Front discs and brakes replaced with DBA performance slotted and driller rotors and high performance kevlar brakepads

That's all I can think of off the top of my head but I feel like I've forgotten something.
===================================================================================

Anyway, down to business. I've recently lost my license for 5 months which means I have plenty of time and opportunity to work my car while it's easier to save cash.

I have a pretty basic understanding of everything, I'm no mechanic but I like I said, I understand the basics so suggestions along with explanations/consequences of each mod would definitely help.

I'm looking at doing some mods along these lines and have some questions relating to each one:
*Higher ratio rockers (maybe 1.9:1) <- What kind of ratio would be best suited? I realise it depends on cam size, valves etc. so what ratio would I look at for some better bottom end performance without changing top end too much with a cam and without a cam upgrade? MACE have told me a bigger cam and no high ratio rockers would be the way to go?

*LSD <- What kind of diff ratio would be most appropriate? Some people have said 3.7-3.9 would be best in my case.

*Full Exhaust system <- what size should I be looking at? I don't want to lose back pressure and performance but I would like a nice note and maybe a couple extra kW. Some people have recommended 2.25 - 2.5 but I have a feeling 2.5 might be a bit big. I'd be getting pacemaker extractors and a decent hi-flow cat.

*Throttle Body (69-70mm) <- Is this an upgrade worth doing? I've heard a 69/70mm throttle body is about a 10HP increase over the standard but anything higher could fault in the long run.

*Insulators/Spacers <- Reading around the best option for an N/A 3.8 would be 25mm for Manifold and 12mm for Plenum; correct?

*Chip? <- Can't seem to find any decent info about chips for the VX, suppliers and performance increases. Can anyone give me a general idea?

*K&N Pod Filter <- I've got one in the workshop that I've been meaning to fit (I'm currently using a K&N panel filter with the standard airbox). Is this something I should bother doing to replace the panel filter and airbox? What would be the best set up for a pod filter? I might just get MACE's already built pod intake, what are they like?

*Cam <- What size cam would I be looking at for my engine and what size would I look at if I were to go a higher rocker ratio? I don't want to have to worry about piston/valve clearance. Like I mentioned before MACE have said a big cam and no high ratio rockers would be best?

*Shift Kit <- I've heard a stage two kit would compliment nicely but I don't have much of the technical know-how behind the shift kits. Any brands/Workshops I should look out for?

Are there any other mods you'd recommend doing?
Is there any mods I've mentioned that I shouldn't really worry about doing?

Don't worry about cost too much as I just want as many options to consider. I'm not looking at forced induction just yet so is there anything else I can do in the meantime (without going overboard)?

All help is much appreciated.

Last edited:

Admiral_Awesome

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive Series II
One thing i know is that you cant just get an aftermarket chip and swap it over with the VX's.. Im not quite sure what the procedure is but you have to get your current one tuned or something.. sorry not too sure.. :/

With the spacers you are correct... 25mm for the manifold and 12mm for the plenum is optimum for N/A.. other way around if ever get your L67..

Besides that I dont really want to give you anymore information incase im wrong.. other people should be able to help you out mate :) goodluck with it all.

motorbreth

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VX Calais SeriesII
Hi thanks for the reply mate.

Yeah I've heard something about the chips not being able to straight swap, that might be something I leave for later, might not even be worth worrying about if I get some of the other upgrades done and have it tuned.

I'm also looking at getting a shift kit, stage two probably. Does anyone have any recommendations of brands, workshops etc. (I'm in Perth).

rhysdalegend

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden commodore VX S Pack
Im interested in this post too, i drive a vx s pack and want a lighter feel..
I was talking to one of the people from MACE about what products would help,
i was told high ration rockers and 25mm manifold insulator and 12mm plenum spacer should go well.
Im going to chuck in the 69mm throttle body too.

If i get it within the week ill let ya know how it goes.

motorbreth

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VX Calais SeriesII
Cheers Rhys, yeah definitely let me know how those mods go.

Has anyone got any suggestions about the LSD diff ratio? Would 1.9 rocker ratio be the best way to go if I was looking at Cam work?

motorbreth

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VX Calais SeriesII
Talking to some of the guys at MACE, they recommend just going a COMP cam and not worrying about the high ratio rockers. Not that I'm doubting them but what your guys' opinion?

Sorry for the double post.

soop

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 SS Commodore Series II

karlos

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S S/C & BA XR6T
If your prepared to pay postage there is a L67 conversion on EBAY for 1k starting bid.

PM me you budget if you like and I may be able to steer you to someone:)

karlos

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S S/C & BA XR6T
Cheers Rhys, yeah definitely let me know how those mods go.

Has anyone got any suggestions about the LSD diff ratio? Would 1.9 rocker ratio be the best way to go if I was looking at Cam work?

Std rockers will be advised by most builders.

As for the diff ratio your choice seems sound.

Just noticed you are in Perth,speak to the guys down at BYE Performance,near Top Road I think?

motorbreth

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VX Calais SeriesII
Yep Cam over rockers any day (that said you can always go the cam and some mild rockers)

I wouldn't bother upgrading the TB, the plenum port is a joke.

See here;
http://forums.justcommodores.com.au...19-ecotec-ported-manifolds-2.html#post1727350

Once the plenum is taken care of the TB might be worthwhile. My opinion anyway.
Okay so I'll probably get a decent sized cam and then if there's room later on I might consider some milder rockers.

In regards to the TB/plenum; so what you're saying is the plenum ports' current restrictions basically renders bigger throttle bodies relatively useless? Good to know, might look at doing the plenum and then seeing if the TB is worth putting on, otherwise I might leave it until way later when I've got nothing better to do.

If your prepared to pay postage there is a L67 conversion on EBAY for 1k starting bid.

PM me you budget if you like and I may be able to steer you to someone:)

Std rockers will be advised by most builders.

As for the diff ratio your choice seems sound.

Just noticed you are in Perth,speak to the guys down at BYE Performance,near Top Road I think?
That's an interesting find. I think I'll probably skip the L67, benefits of the engine aside I'd rather save the money that I'd spend doing the conversion and put it towards strengthening/improving my L36. Thanks though as it might still be something I consider depending how I go with the L36.

Okay cool so the general consensus is to leave the rockers standard, for now, get a juicy cam and go from there?

I don't really have a budget, I'm trying to work within $10k for the time being which will include any engine mods I'm looking at at the moment as well as some body work.

Thanks alot for the replies guys, you've all been a huge help so far :)